Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Finally - Rachel Comey Vogue 1247 is finished....


Finally I have made up this pattern - I was a little half hearted about it, and I'm sure I only bought the pattern out of curiosity, and because every other sewer in the blogosphere seems to have made it !  So I have now made mine :)

I didn't use a good fabric for the skirt.  I had a piece of black calico and thought I would use that up - and really, what is the difference between calico and a lightweight linen in hang?  Especially when it is black - no-one will really know what it is.

I cut extra length - I am not sure how much because I just cut to the amount of fabric available.  If I make it again, I will measure the skirt I have made to see what to add :)

I decided to insert an ordinary lapped zipper instead of an invisible zipper - the fabric is not good enough to warrant an expensive invisible zipper, and I have a stash of ordinary zippers to use up. 

I found that the pockets gaped on me a bit - I think because my hips don't fill out the skirt at all well.  I remedied this by making them half an inch smaller - as the garment was already sewn, I just stitched a little rectangle  at the corner of each pocket.  As I had already decided to topstitch the skirt and use flat fell seams at the side, this solution worked well.

So, here is the skirt:

Skirt, front view
Skirt, back view


Skirt, side view


And of course, the picture everyone does - the hands in the pocket picture:


Well, that shows that the pockets are still quite large enough, even with an inch effectively stitched down on each pocket, making them much smaller.

Now, for the top.   It is huge.  I cut a size 6 and added an extra 5/8 of an inch to the neck, front and back.  I could have added more, but I thought the style lines would get distorted.

I used a cheap cotton lawn from Spotlight.  That way I will get a casual top, and if I don't like it, I haven't lost a nice piece of fabric.  

It is a fun top to make - the french seams make a nice change from serging, and it does look nice inside.

Okay, the outside story:

Top and Skirt- Front

Top and Skirt - Side

Top and Skirt - Back - the wind was blowing!
And the final pose, following the picture on the pattern envelope - slightly to the side, hands in pockets:


That is my Rachel Comey Vogue 1247 skirt and top.   And do I like it now?  Strangely, yes.  I think this will make a great little casual skirt and I would happily make it now in a better fabric - and I will enjoy wearing this one around the house.  I can see lots of possibilities to vary the skirt - play with texture in block for instance.  I think I will probably like the top, especially on those days when I don't know what else to wear. I do think I would like to make this top one day in a very nice silk with a drape - a lightweight silk satin would look stunning for a special top.

Sarah Liz :)






42 comments:

  1. great outfit, I like trhe longer length of the skirt. I often look at this pattern,and think of buying it. Read alot of comments about the top sizing. Yours looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise - I think the skirt would work for you, but not the top - it is not recommended for pear figures :(

      Delete
  2. You have made a great fitting top and skirt .several reviews have mentioned how large the top is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is huge - I made size 6 and it is still roomy - but nice for the hot weather :)

      Delete
  3. Your top and skirt combo look great. The skirt length is just right and I like the colour of your top. I hope to tackle the top soon and will definitely make the skirt again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is a good length. The top would work well in a nice light fabric for your climate :)

      Delete
  4. I hope you love it! It's a great outfit.

    I agree the top is large but I think it's designed as such. Perhaps in a "floaty" fabric the size works best??

    At any rate, love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, it is designed as a large top - now I have made it, I like it. I agree, a floaty fabric would work nicely :)

      Delete
  5. Cute outfit, Sarah, and should keep you comfortable in the hot weather. I have made that skirt twice and agree that the pockets gape a little bit. I used stretch denim for the first version, a linen blend for the second. Each of them show a little pooch at the pocket top. I think it's just the way of the pattern though your solution is very creative. I have another version in the queue. In fact, it might be my Make a Garment A Month item for February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if anyone else got little pooches - it must be the pattern. I also think pulling the pockets firmer so they don't bag would work as well. I look forward to seeing your MAGAM version :)

      Delete
  6. I think both the skirt & top look great on you!

    I made this top, but ended up donating it, because (as much as I love the design) it did not suit my triangle/pear shape at all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, no the top would not have suited you at all- it works on me because I have wider shoulders than hips, so I have something to "hang"the top from.

      Delete
  7. I just love this outfit. It looks so comfortable and easy to wear. Proud you tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - it is comfortable, you are right :)

      Delete
  8. Very nice outfit. It looks really comfy and that's what I'm after. Fashion with comfort. Have a Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry - yes, I like fashion with comfort as well - also practical :)

      Delete
  9. Super sewing on this outfit ~ and adding your own personal touches just makes it so wearable for you! ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith - adding personal touches is what makes sewing great - you end up with something you like :)

      Delete
  10. I love the idea of using cheaper fabrics to try out a pattern. That way you get to experiement with sizing and so on. And as for using up your stash of stuff ...... enough said! Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,and you get to wear it as well, so win all around :)

      Delete
  11. They both look lovely. I like the longer length too. It makes me reconsider the pattern for me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skirt works nicely, but just make sure that you try the top out first as a muslin as it is very large. Cut a much smaller size.

      Delete
  12. Love it! All looks great on you - casual, but well put together. Your last pose is a great reflection of the pattern pose. Like some of the others, I like the longer length too. Interesting that it sounds like this was a little different than what you would normally choose to wear - and now you like it. You really do look cute Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - yes, I really did not like this at all. So I might be tempted to make a few other things that I don't like, so long as they are vaguely what I would wear.

      Delete
  13. Brilliant outfit, it looks wonderful on you and you will get a lot of wear out from it! The top will fall much nicer with a softer fabric and the silk satin sounds like a gorgeous option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - will have to look at what the Remnant Warehouse has in the way of silk satin :)

      Delete
  14. Lovely outfit - looks very summery (we are under LOADS of snow right now, so I am vicariously enjoying your sunshine!)

    I do like the longer length skirt - and I am with you on the fabric! If it works, who cares what the name of it is?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did wonder how many of you "up there" would envy us "down here" as we head into our summer season :).

      It is a great skirt, but better long, as you say :)

      Delete
  15. I love how these pieces turned out! I've just bought the pattern since the pocket feature convinced me to give the skirt a go -- though like you I'll be adding a fair bit of length! Thanks for the info on the pocket gape & your solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skirt is easy to make, and if you like pockets, then I think you will like this one. It took me a while to warm to it, but now I like it :)

      Delete
  16. I love it. I think it is a great representation of what the pattern is (apart from the VERY short length of the skirt). Great outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay - yes, I don't think I ever wore a skirt that short, even in the short skirt days :)

      Delete
  17. Been looking forward to your interpretation of this pattern, and it does look really good on you. I have read all the comments with interest, as I plan to make the top over the next few weeks. Can I ask, why did you add 5/8" to the neckline? It might be something I need to do too. I am very short, so maybe the neck would come too low on me. The skirt looks very nice in the longer length, so I'll give it a go too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia - I added extra to the neckline of the top because I am quite small, and the neck was quite large and would have fallen off me, or at the very least exposed my bra straps. Also it was quite low.

      Delete
  18. Great outfit! You did a wonderful job on fitting the skirt and I really love the color of your top!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great version of this pattern. Well done SL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with everyone - this is a great outfit! Love the color combinations :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome to the club! Great colour for the top.

    ReplyDelete