Sewing and Style

A blog for anyone interested in sewing their own clothes and creating a sense of personal style...


Sunday, December 8, 2013

Lots of News this week

 

Do you have those weeks when your life suddenly changes?  I've had a few of those recently.

The first piece of news I had was that I was accepted into a fourth year program in Psychology.  I had already completed my degree at the end of 2012, but you have to do a fourth year before provisional registration - (and a Masters degree, but lets get this done first!!).

I don't know of many people actively trying to make a career change in their late 50's, but why not?  We are the first generation to live so long, and it makes sense to develop a second life that can carry you through the second part of our now very long life.  So I feel a little bit of a trailblazer in this regard :)

The second piece of news is that my husband has to relocate his medical practice as he cannot renew his lease.  So we are moving into a nice medical suite in a hospital where he already is well regarded.  I think this will be a positive move, but their is a lot of hard work first.

Oh, yes, I work as DH's practice manager - a role adopted by me after my husbands staff decided to resign when he became ill a couple of years ago. I guess they thought the end was coming - well, it didn't, DH is still going strong! I was finishing my exams, and working the front desk as the receptionist until we could get someone.  Being a practical, competent person, I couldn't let things fall in heap - he says the place has never been so well run. (Well, I was a Registered Nurse in my first life, then I was a Medical Practice nurse - and in the old days, you just took on any role in order to keep things happening - no "it's not my job attitude" then!).  My second life was very varied, and included educating myself in the Humanities (Bachelor of Arts, Hons 1st class). I started a PhD and then married John - which meant relocating. After relocating,  I did lecture in media at the local university, but the writing was on the wall that there would be no future there.  So I discontinued the PhD ( with a place reserved should I want it in the future) and studied Psychology instead.  Which is what I wanted to do when I was a nurse.  But I couldn't afford to study then. And now I have a place in a fourth year program :)

Okay, so why am I telling you this?

Because I will have to change some of my blog practices.  

I will be maintaining SarahLizSewStyle - some of you have commented that you love the fact that I show you what I do.  I will continue this, but at the level of one garment a month - because I suspect that is all I will have time for.


Which leads me to the Make a Garment a Month Challenge.  This has been so successful and will be continuing - but I will have less time, so I am setting up a separate blog where you can post your monthly garment - this is because I will not have time to do this for you next year.  I will be posting everyone's garment into a main gallery, administering and facilitating the blog.

 I will be setting up the new blog  on Wednesday.  I will be asking you to send me an email if you are interested in continuing so that I can add you as a contributor to the blog. I take it that most of you that have made garments over the last two months are.  Some of you have already sent me an email and you can expect your invite by the end of next week. My email address is stylishsarah251@gmail.com.

I will be making this announcement a few times over the next two weeks so that you all know what is happening. 

I also want to let you know how much I have enjoyed your company over 2013, and really look forward to sewing along with you all in 2014.

Sarah Liz

44 comments:

  1. Good luck with your studies. I have sent you my email address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wishing you all the best with your studies and the changes that are happening. I have sent you my email address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very best of luck with your studies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a little change in life to spark things along again. Looks like 2014 is going to be a busy one for you and hopefully it's everything you want and more. Looking forward to joining in on the fun of Make a Garment a Month challenge with everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that is very true - we can get stuck in ruts. Yes, busy, but probably better than bored :). I'll make sure you are invited to the new blog.

      Delete
  5. good luck with all the changes. I have been terribly at sewing and blogging lately as real life just picked up, but I keep trying to continue anyways. I'll still look forward to seeing your wonderful creations, even if it is only once in a while. all the best though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giggles, I wondered what had happened, although I thought probably life had caught up - and you have a youngster too. Be kind to yourself, and do a bit of sewing, just to keep your hand in, when you can :)

      Delete
  6. How exciting! Much better than sitting idly watching the world pass you by ~ I always had the impression you where a go-getter-and-doer! 2014 will be a huge year for you, grab it, run hard, and enjoy (and make an outfit or two along the way and share with us) ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, just having a chuckle about being a go getter! I'm a fairly quiet one, but let's just say I'm a determined person :). I'll certainly enjoy sharing sewing moments with you all :)

      Delete
  7. Very exciting news - Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting indeed! At almost 40, I am considering a career change as well. This will be HUGE and require that I go back to school for quite some time. I encourage you to follow your passion and never let it go.

    Thank you for offering to set up a separate blog for GAM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A career change is, as you say, a big step - and going back to school is never easy - and it costs money, and loss of income for the duration. As you already know. But, as you already know, doing something you love is also very important. So all the best with whatever you choose to do.

      And it is a pleasure to set up a new blog for everyone :)

      Delete
  9. Sarah Liz, I have my suspicions that you never sleep - do you?! Congratulations on this next phase of your life! It is wonderful that you continue to pursue your passions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, believe it or not, I do pace myself. And I don't have children, which makes a time difference. And I don't do anymore housework than is necessary :).

      Delete
  10. Sarahliz, Congrats to you on your next level of study..So proud of you and your accomplishments.
    also very happy that hubby's practice is moving into a nice/at the hospital office. I know this will be so much better ,once you get moved..[sending prayers for the move.eeeeh].
    Know you will be extra busy this year.. I totally want to be in the sew a garment a month in 2014 [and hope I do better than I have this year.ha]
    I think our posting our garments ourselves will be fine..[always wondered why you did all that...too time consuming,ha]
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy - thank you for the prayers, I am sure they are much needed - I am not looking forward to the move, but as you say, a much better environment.

      Next year I hope you have more time to sew for yourself - and you will be added to the blog :)

      Delete
  11. Have a great holiday, and 2014. Congratulations on all the exciting changes coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you and your husband all the best for Christmas and the New Year. These are all exciting changes for you both.
    Creating a second life is a great achievement and you'll be fulfilled everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - I agree with your sentiments :)

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! I do understand about lifetime education. I received my masters at the age of 51.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy - and well done. And now, despite your own challenges, you are learning sewing too :)

      Delete
  14. Sarah Liz I'm so very excited for you. 2014 will be a great year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck to you my friend. I started blogging at a phase of my life when I was consulting and going to grad school - a balance I could work around the schedule of my daughters (then 10-15) which meant a lot of early morning and mid-afternoon posts. While my current transition is less dramatic than yours, every change is a challenge and I am here to cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marjorie- you have certainly had a busy and challenging life as well - and you maintained a blog. I think I will follow your example - with a blog post scheduled periodically at a time that works with the schedule.

      Delete
  16. Wishing you the very best of luck! I'm practice manager for my husband too, a bit of a change from my old career as an analytical chemist. I really miss the lab, a lot, but *somebody's* got to run the office! (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that "somebody" is always us! (and vacuum the floor, cook the meals, do the washing...). No wonder you miss the lab :)

      Delete
  17. Please add me, Sarah, and do let me know if I can help with anything. Next year will be a little nuts for me, too, but I am willing to help in any way that I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, I will - and thanks for your offer. I am wondering what is happening in 2014 for you - I think you finish your current job for a start.

      Delete
  18. What an exciting future ahead for you! Thank you for sharing some of your 'dreams' and 'earlier life' with us, as well as some of the changes ahead for you and your husband. It's so exciting to see someone go after their dreams, no matter their age! Yes, you are a trailblazer and inspiration for those of us in our 50s and I have so enjoyed getting to know you a little through your Garment a Month Challenge. I have enjoyed all the garments you've shared, as well as your tips.... like sewing a little every day..... and your stash organizing system. Understand if you should need to pull back on blogging, but will always look for any new posts you send out. Congratulations!!!!!!
    PS Add me too please. I'll try to do better in 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely and long comment Lisa. I don't usually share too much, because this is but sometimes it is nice to let people know what is going on - especially if they are in the blog community. I also have loved getting to know you and of course, our fellow bloggers this year - and lets hope we all learn from, encourage, and enjoy each others company next year as well.

      Delete
  19. Congratulations and wishing you the best of luck with your studies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Sarah Liz - big life changes indeed and next year sounds very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabrielle - I think it will be :)

      Delete