Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sunday Hello, a Re-Fashion, and Even Better News...



Hello Everyone,

I should think many of us are busy at the moment with preparations for Christmas and Holidays.  Certainly it has  been harder to sew recently, but I did manage to make something to do - or rather, quickly refashion something.  I'll show you later in the post.

I'd like to thank you all for your lovely comments this week about my new summer pants:


As some of you said, these are practical sorts of pants - the sort of everyday garment we all need.  I do tend to make a lot of basic garments - I'm afraid my blog is not full of highly inspirational and creative garments, because I tend to lead a very ordinary life doing ordinary every day things.  And so it seems do so many of you - not for most of us the glamorous, airbrushed celebrity sort of life!  It's my goal to create a wardrobe of everyday wearable basics with some smart garments to work back with them, so that I always look neat and well dressed, but in a way that is entirely appropriate for my way of life.  I hope to share this journey with you all next year - or in a few days time :)

I also completed the Rachel Comey outfit that  so many other bloggers have also sewn - so I am sort of initiated now :)

For those of you that do plan to make this outfit - the skirt is straightforward, although there is a lot of binding that could be eliminated and a serge finish used instead.  I would tension the top layer of the pockets quite firmly, as there is a slight tendency to pouch.

And for those of you who want to make the top - it is huge - I cut the smallest size, and it is still big.  I advised using a cheap fabric as a wearable muslin.  And if you are pear shaped, it probably won;t suit you.  I have an angular frame for the top to hang off, so it sort of works on me.  Do look at the reviews on PR, so that you get more of a feel for the top.  And for Patricia - I added 5/8 inch to the neckline, front and back, because it was very wide and very low - too low for me, and too wide - it would have shown my bra straps.  As you can see, it is still quite wide and low.

And now for today's refashion.  I have had a RTW dress hanging in my wardrobe for two years now.  Unfortunately, I don't like wearing it, so it just hangs there. The bodice is just too bare, and I don't like showing my bony chest.  So I had moved it to my sewing nook, where it has been hanging around for ages, looking at me, while I don't remake it into a skirt.   So today I decided that I would spend an hour or so refashioning this:


Into this:


Now this little skirt I will wear.  It was a simple refashion - just cut the bodice off, turn over the fabric to make a waistband, and I also turned under the raw edges - this is a lightweight crinkle cotton voile and I thought this was the best finish - and insert elastic.

Done.  Wearable skirt - and it will go with a two knit tops that I don't wear - because I had nothing to wear them with.

So I also have managed to tick off my New Year Principle - each garment to go with at least two others.

*****

Now for my good news - I told you a couple of weeks ago that I had been accepted into a fourth year program in Psychology.  Now, there are two programs - the Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology, or the Honours program.  Both lead to provisional registration, but in order to do Masters, you really need an Honours degree.  Now, I could probably work around that, but it is much easier if you have the straightforward way.  And this week, I received another offer from another University - I have an offer of an Honours place.  So I will accept of course.  Groan, so now I really will have to do Data Analysis, which my DH  tells me is really quite interesting.  But then he likes that sort of thing!

Well, it is time now to quickly look at your blogs, and then go and get dinner, hang out the washing, all those little jobs of everyday life that need practical clothes :)

Do have a great week everyone - I'll send out my official Christmas Well Wishes on Christmas Eve, but if you are busy or miss that post, I'll also send them now...

Sarah Liz






34 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting into your course. Good luck with the rest of your studies. Do you have a particular interest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine - at this stage I still like everything, and will wait to see what happens - but certainly my interests are more in the clinical field than anywhere else.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations and have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the Honours Programme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great news! Congratulations!!

    And the refashion is cute. Perfect and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You are really so SMART!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on getting an honors place!!! I like your refashion dress. I really need to do the same with a dress I made that just hangs in the closet because the dress just does not work for me. As a skirt it might!

    Enjoy the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda - and yes, sometimes some clothes do not work - then I think this is a good solution:)

      Delete
  7. Excellent news on the study front ~ Honours place is very sort after! And the refashioned dress/skirt is brilliant ~ you are one smart and clever little bundle ... Merry Christmas ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith - yes, it is not easy to get into Honours, so I count myself very lucky. Now for the hard work:).

      It is a much nicer skirt than it ever was a dress:)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your wonderful news and I love your re-fashion skirt and thoughts you've shared on 'practical' clothes. Yes, that's me! I've so enjoyed getting to know you and participate in your MAGAM (in a slow way). Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - yes, some of us are practical girls next door :) I'll be working more on these ideas and sharing them next year.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on the fantastic news! Why does it take us so long to refashion, you now have 2 new outfits, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - and as for the time it takes to refashion - I just don't like anything to do with alterations - would rather make from scratch, I think!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful you are doing Honours and good luck! thanks for the tip re the neckline; this top will be my post- Christmas see, merry Christmas sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia, and good luck with the top :)

      Delete
  11. Wonderful news. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your acceptance in the Honours program.. Know you will do well.
    I think the reason , I like your blog so well, is that you do basic garments ,that we all use everyday... I plan to do more of these basics, when Christmas is over.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and next year I will continue with basic garments and try and show you how to put them together stylishly.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations and good wishes for your upcoming studies.

    Good work with your refashion. I do that a lot. My last one was a Sorbetto top from the skirt of a dress and I have a maxi dress lined up next. Just need a bit of black knit for the bodice.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours and look forward to joining you again in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. It makes perfect sense to remake something that "doesn't work". I need to do that with two nighties that have sat in the drawer for ten years! Merry Xmas to you and yours as well :)

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on your acceptance into Honours! I did Data Analysis a couple of years ago in my degree.. I did well (don't remember a thing) but remember thinking if they went a bit slower (say half pace) I could practice and really use this information. Your skirt reminds me of a favourite one I had years ago. It does go with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I am not sure that I am going to enjoy Data Analysis - my DH says it's a great subject, but then, that's my DH!

      Isn't it funny how some garments turn out to be favourites while others remain unworn?

      Delete
  15. I really like your approach to "everyday wearable basics" and am following your example. I'm also working on organizing my wardrobe capsule, pictures and everything.

    Congrats on your on your academic achievements and Happy Holidays!
    :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fantastic - I'll be following your progress, and joining in with making the basics with you :)

      Delete
  16. First and foremost Congratulations on the Honours Program! That is quite the accomplishment.

    Love the repurpose dress into a skirt. Thats giving me ideas for a couple of dresses sitting at the back of my closet.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, dresses can sit for years unworn - good luck with your refashion, and Merry Christmas to you and yours as well :)

      Delete