Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sunday Hello, this weeks plans and next years goals...

Hello everyone,

It was only yesterday December started, and now Christmas is only ten days away.  Which means 2014 is around the corner.  Which means new sewing goals will be needed.

Before I start listing them, I would like to welcome four new followers to this blog - and they are
Geannenek, Kate, Diane, and Anne who are following  via bloglovin and Fran, who is following via this blog. 

*****

Have you noticed how many sewing bloggers are talking about their sewing goals for 2014?  I guess the New Year is a time of re-assessment and resolution.  I have certainly been thinking about what I want to make in 2014.  

 I hadn't been sewing much for the decade or so prior to 2013 so I was a bit rusty.  So this year I got back into practice by making a lot of very basic garments that are boring to make, but certainly got me back into the sewing mode.  And, having got the boring basics out of the way (you know the sort of thing - the trousers for casual around the house, basic cotton shirts).  I also  learnt how to fit trousers reasonably well (yes, there is lots of room for improvement, but that will take the rest of my life...) and what my fit issues are with dresses.  So really, 2013 was a year for learning.  I learnt how to blog too.

Next year I plan to Make a Garment a Month for the Make a Garment a Month Challenge.  I also plan to join Sarah Beth's RTW fast (Goodbye Valentino). Sarah Beth does allow the purchase of underwear   Luckily I have a cupboard full of my basics and old RTW garments, so I just plan to make to replace or fill gaps in my wardrobe.  I do need to tackle making a pair of pants for work.  I just can't find the pattern I like.  The fabric is sitting there, all pre-washed, ready and waiting to go.

 Further goals for 2014 are to whittle down my stash - so I better stash up before I start stashbusting again :).   I think I will have to actually use some of the fabrics that do not suit me or that I do not like anymore as fabric for muslins.  And it is time to start only buying fabrics in colours that suit me. 

 I also plan to actually use the patterns I have and not to keep buying them.  I may even part with some of them that will never ever be made up.  Yes, there are a few patterns in that category...  But note, I said MAY, not WILL.

Okay, so the 2014 goal list is:

*   Do not buy any ready to wear clothes except shoes, socks and  undergarments.
*   Make a garment a month for the Make a Garment a Month Challenge
*   Each garment made to go with garments already owned.
*   If the garment does not go with anything, make garments to match.
*   Use up stash for making garments if I like it, muslins if I don't or it is the wrong colour.
*   Only  buy more  stash if it is for an immediate garment
*   Assess pattern collection and start actually using it.

Of course, I have lots of other goals too - like take better photographs for my blog - but I do know my limitations and I am starting  back with study next year, so I think Better Blog Photography is a goal further down the list.  Along with many others, such as learn to draft every garment and lots of other totally unrealistic ideas :). 

What are your plans for 2014?
*****

This week I plan to also post a backlog of garments that I have made but not photographed or blogged about.  

That's it from me, so I will wish you all a happy and healthy upcoming week, wherever you are...

Sarah Liz

20 comments:

  1. Your blogging skills are most impressive already!

    I have similar sewing plans for next year too, including the RTW fast. Your Garment a Month idea got me going with making my clothes again.

    Looking forward to your 2014 garments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fun watching each others progress next year :)

      Delete
  2. Next year's goals already ~ boy, are you on the boil! I have just finished work for this year and seem to be on a mental slide downwards, which often happens with teachers. A few days of R&R will quickly see me back behind the sewing machine. As for goals, I don't really set any for sewing, but had to laugh at your one " If the garment does not go with anything, make garments to match" Make it, then match it ... that's me all over ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, you are right, after a lot of intense people time, you do need space to recover. I guess it is nice to not have goals for everything - sewing is your little pleasure, I think :)

      Delete
  3. Way ahead of me, I'm still trying to finish 2013. It is the cute cardigans that I can't get the fabric for that bring me undone for no RTW but do this pretty much anyway. Quite like your plans for 2014 and look forward to seeing what you have been making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, nice knits are impossible to find for making special little tops and cardigans.

      Delete
  4. Great to have your goals laid out - good luck with them and we will be here to cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now I can only focus on my Christmas shopping goals with only 10 days left before Christmas and shorten this time by a few days for shipping to family and friends! I doubt I achieved all of 2013 goals but it is nice to have goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes it does get hectic at this time of year - sewing takes a bit of a back seat. I think you still did quite well for 2013.

      Delete
  6. I'm in the process of writing my 2013 year-in-review. Wadders ruled in 2013, so one goal is to beat them back into submission. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If 2013 was the year of the Wadder, then 2014 ifsofacto has to be the year of the Winner! I hope lots for you :)

      Delete
  7. Your plans sound great and well thought out.. I really haven't thought about my goals yet.. I will get to it ,as soon as Christmas is done.. ha
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.. and best wishes to your 2014 sewing goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - yes you will be busy over Xmas with your lovely large family.

      Delete
  8. Great plans for 2014 and I wish you the accomplishing of all of them. As much as I would like to participate I think I will have to wait until 2015 as come Spring of 2014, I will be getting new knees - both at the same time. Maybe then I could actually enjoy wearing something that I make, rather than being too limited in movement to get out very well. It's scary but the result will be wonderful. Merry Christmas and all blessings to you, and all your readers, in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nancy - I wish you all the best for your knee operations - you will certainly be out of sewing action for a while.

      Delete
  9. hi, Sarah Liz - I think I will pinch your great 2014 plans for myself!
    :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good plan to make a plan! I know that this challenge really has helped me focus so I will have to think about other sewing goals for 2014 as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used challenges at the start to help as well. I'm glad you have found some focus :)

      Delete