Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Calico Collection Part 1 - New Look 6129 Skirt.

Last year I concentrated on making basics for wearing casually around the house.  I had a piece of calico in my stash that was quite soft, so I decided to use that - and it looks very nice, sort of soft and slightly textured.

I used New Look 6129:


  I have already  made this skirt in dark navy  poplin ( recyled from an old skirt - you can see it here).

The skirt has pockets and an elastic waist with drawstring.  I chose to use elastic only and omitted the drawstring.  Here is the line drawing of the skirt:


This second  version looks a little better than the first- partly because the fabric is easier to sew, and partly because I have already made it once and know what to do.

So, on with the photos:

I've made the skirt fairly long because I already have a  straight skirt made out of cotton drill that is above the knee and the Rachel Comey skirt that is above the knee.  So I have made this one longer, because sometimes that is what I want.  Depending on what I am doing, what top I am wearing and what shoes I put on.


The back view above is pretty straightforward, as  is the side view:

This is a very easy skirt to make up, and very versatile.  I think this is going to be a  pattern that I will use many times for a basic, elastic waist casual skirt.  It is not too full in gathers at the waist - most elastic waist skirts seem to be enormous at the waist with lots of gathers.  This is not a bad looking elastic waist skirt.  I would wear something over the top in real life, but the little camisole allows you to see the skirt.

And it has pockets!  What more could you want in a casual skirt?

I have another version of this skirt made in navy broadcloth - a shorter skirt, and I will blog that after I have finished showing you my calico collection.  I have a two pairs of trousers to show you over the next few weeks :)

Sarah Liz



24 comments:

  1. That's such a good style for a wardrobe building piece, I imagine you'll be able to wear that with lots of different tops. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacq, I will be able to do that :)

      Delete
  2. Great skirt and good to hear that the waist gathers are minimal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not too bad at all for an elastic waist :)

      Delete
  3. Nice skirt! It doesn't even look like it has an elastic waist in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really good skirt, and you would never guess it had an elastic waist from the photos. A very neat fit Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I may even make it in more formal fabric - the elastic waist would add comfort :)

      Delete
  5. Nice skirt Sarah - a good wardrobe builder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your skirt looks great on you.. I like this pattern. I bought it , and never used it.. You have encouraged me to pull it out. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a nice skirt - just make sure you make the waist as small as you can that allows the skirt to still pull on over your hips.

      Delete
  7. Very pretty skirt! I'm a stay at home mom so I don't have a need for many fancy clothes so I like your idea of making cute and casual basics. I've seen this pattern before and will have to give it a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie, yes, it is certainly a great sort of skirt for the stay at home life - I do a lot of my work at home too :). It's very easy to make.

      Delete
  8. Nice :0) It looks so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Comfortable and cool. What more can one desire in a skirt? =) Oh yes, and pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely comfy looking skirt ~ I'm also not a fan of a drawstring and often leave them out as well ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are superfluous and who needs extra at the tummy ?

      Delete
  11. A-line skirts look so lovely on you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great neutral skirt to add to you wardrobe. The fabric sounds lovely as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it is a great casual neutral garment. The fabric was cheap, but I thought worth playing with :)

      Delete