Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Calico Collection Part 2 - New Look 6216, Pants

Late last year I busied myself sewing a collection of house basics in cotton fabrics - skirts and pants.  Later I will be making the tops to match.  I've long wanted a set of basics for working at home that look good enough for when you pop out to the post office or other sorts of errands.

The pattern I used for these trousers was New Look 6126.  Here is the line drawing:

The pants have an elastic waist with a drawstring at the front.  I omitted the drawstring as I do not like added bits at the tummy.  Under a top they are not needed - and just add a "lump"under the top. 

The pants also have nice roomy pockets.

I cut out a size 8 and made these up in a black calico that was in my stash.  It is a lovely soft fabric - I would never have thought of calico for garments, but in black it looks fine.  And cotton is cotton...

Now for those front and back views (and I am wearing a little camisole for these photos - in real life I would never look this undressed!):

Here is the front view:



 And now the back:


And now to show you the wonderful pockets:



The calico makes up a quite differently from the cotton broadcloth pair I made.  Here are the two pictures to compare.

Black calico
 The cotton calico pants are soft and slightly less structured looking than the navy  cotton broadcloth version:

Navy broadcloth.
The broadcloth ones look a little smarter than the calico ones - but the calico ones will be my preferred soft and slouch study pants.  The navy will probably be more my casual trousers to be "seen"in.

New Look 6216 pants work for me - I'll probably make a couple of pairs for winter in baby wale corduroy.  Yes, you guessed it, one pair will be black...

Sarah Liz




25 comments:

  1. Those look so soft & comfy! And you can never have too many black pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly - and I agree about black pants. Always look smart as well.

      Delete
  2. Good job!

    How terrific to have a pants pattern that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I'll be using this pattern a lot more - my winter cords might be made from this pattern.

      Delete
  3. Those pants are lovely and you have achieved a wonderful fit. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking pants and I will have to keep my eye for black calico!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just take no notice of what a fabric is "supposed"to be for - I assess what I can do with what I find sometimes :). Just watch for the different qualities of calico - some really wrinkle, but this one is very soft.

      Delete
  5. Sarah liz, I love them. The fit is fantastic. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really have the fit sorted out, great trousers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Picked up another remnant the other day. Black calico! Unfortunately not enough for pants but it will become an A-line skirt. Your pants look great. I can see more calico on my horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap! Nothing like finding something useful on the remnant table :)

      Delete
  8. the pants look nice & tailored, so did you just add eleastic to the waist?
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen - this pattern is already designed with an elastic waistband.

      Delete
  9. Great combination smart and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great combination smart and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funnily enough I would not have thought of calico either but I have seen black calico used before and it looks quite lovely in garments. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you can use what you like so long as it suits the garment:)

      Delete
  12. Isn't it wonderful to have a TNT pants pattern? I'll bet they will be so comfy in corduroy, especially that super soft baby wale stuff. Great looking pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, simple TNT pants, skirt and jacket and you will always be able to sew to go :)

      Delete
  13. The pants look great. I am encouraged to try a pair for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vani - yes do try - but first, make up a trial in a sheet to see if the pants work for you - and also, New Look runs large, another reason to try first.

      Delete