Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Calico Collection...Part Three, McCalls Pants 6514.

I decided that it was time to replace the trousers I made years ago - when baggy pants were last in style - that had come to an unfortunate end after I attempted to redye them black - only to find that when I wore them on a 45C degree day that the dye ran as I was so sweaty.  They were a well loved lightweight linen pair, and so I thought I might like to make  another linen pair if I found the right pattern.  The pattern that I chose to test for this was  McCalls 6514:

McCalls 6514.
I thought that the view on the top right hand corner would work, but first I thought a test garment was needed.  So I used up the rest of my stashed black calico to trial the pants.  I laid out a pair that already fitted me around the crotch, and these pants did not look too bad.  I adjusted for a flat seat, and then cut straight out.  I wasn't too worried about the fit,  because baggy pants always tend to hang down quite nicely.

The pants have a flat waistband at the front and elastic at the back.  And pocket.  They have three pleats either side of the CF, whereas my old pair had two pleats.

The pants made up very easily and didn't need much alteration.  This is the front view:


(I'm not sure why I'm looking skyward - I think it is something to do with hating taking self timed photos - but you can at least see the pants!)

The side view actually is a nice profile - the pants hand down and hide the tummy nicely!:

And the back looks nice as well:

The only comment I can make is that I could add a bit to the back rise, and take out a bit from the front and sides  if I make these pants again.

And will I?  I don't think so.  Not in a nice linen.  I think I should leave baggy pants back in my sewing past.  If I want baggy pants ever again, I would re-use this pattern.

I do love these though, in their own right - they look nice and I will love wearing them as very very relaxed lounging pants:


I do hope you are sewing with success as well :)

Sarah Liz






22 comments:

  1. Baggy pants do have their use and this pair look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your baggy pants. Those are perfect pants to wear on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really good! Well done SarahLiz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! These pants look fabulous! I have to come back to my pants one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not always as easy as these are, Beata :)

      Delete
  5. I really like these! I think they hang great and look pretty cool and casual!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On a day when the temp is 45C, I would want to wear something loose and casual as well. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sarah Liz, those pants look so nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These turned out great, and look fantastic on you! So many things you can pair them up with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like baggy pants.. so comfortable. Yours turned out nice.Looks good on you.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you love it when a sewing pattern just works right off the bat! I think those look quite stylish on you and a pair of loose pants like that are wonderful on a very hot day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is great to find a pattern like that - happens infrequently! I agree, loose and comfy in the heat and humidity.

      Delete
  11. Hi Sarah! Your pants look comfortable and stylish.

    ReplyDelete