Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Lucky Pattern Game


A few days ago I mentioned that I was going to play a pattern game with my pattern collection.

 I have a large and lovely pattern hoard . I will always add to it, but I have a tendency to keep buying and not using the ones I have.  Not that this matters of course - because sometimes when you really want a style line you can't buy it - so I always add things that I think may be useful.

But really, I think it would be a good idea to go through the patterns and start making them up - if there isn't a more pressing sewing obligation (such as the winter pants I really must make before winter - for work and for casual wear).  And, in all honesty, except for things I need, I tend to get stuck choosing - I want to make everything, but don't know where to start.  So I thought this game would help me decide :)

So, I will play a lucky dip pattern game if  I don't know what to choose and have nothing else planned.  Maybe you would like to play it too :)

This is what I have done:

I purchased some check ticket booklets:


 I wrote a pattern number on the tear off strip  that you find in these books:


Like this ( if you want to do this game, you don't need the check books, you could cut up bits of paper - I just found that the check books also helped me to count up how many patterns I had  (289 patterns plus 10 Burda Style Magazines, plus 12 patterns in a Japanese pattern book):


 Pull them out, shuffle them around so they don't stick together:


Put in a little jar or pot:


And put aside until you want to make a Lucky Dip Pattern Selection:


And how will I know what the pattern is and where to find it?  Because I have them all filed away in plain envelopes with the pattern brand and number written on the outside of the envelope:

 And the corresponding pattern envelope lives in a plastic envelope in a folder.  When I access a lucky dip pattern I will be able to tell from the line drawing which folder to look in :



Or I can look it up on Pattern Review.

I'm looking forward to the sheer randomness of this pattern game.  Of course, it will be the best of three, because I may strike a pattern that just won't work for the season.

Please join in this game if you would like - or make up your own variation that works for you :)


34 comments:

  1. Sarah Liz that is both brilliant and funny - my pattern collection is around the 100+ mark which now feels lime nothing at all! You are so super organised. Looking forward to seeing how thus works for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you have some catching up to do Jacq :)

      I have to be organised or I would never do anything!

      Delete
  2. Feeling like an underachiever here. Only 30 patterns, for the whole family, across gender and ages!

    Is the fabric lottery happening too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your restraint with patterns:)

      I have to work out how to do the fabric lottery , but it is an idea that needs serious exploration :)

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea, SL. I think I will join you because I have a lot of patterns that have yet to be sewn. I'm going to impose an extra rule on myself: no double-dipping! Once a pattern is selected, I have to go with it. Hmm. To make sure that I keep this rule, I think I'll select a pool of patterns that I really want to sew!

    As always, I'll be following your progress with interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your variation on this game - it does make sense to choose something you like, or something that is currently in fashion. Looking forwards to seeing how you evolve with the idea as well :)

      Delete
  4. that's a cute idea, speaking of patterns, Hancocks will be having a big sale starting this coming Thur lol! on another note, did you receive my request for the M.A.G.A.M. challenge? it may of went through twice, sorry about that!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, by now you would have received your invite. Pattern Sales are such wonderful things, aren't they. Still, there is no harm in having lots of patterns, is there :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good idea. Looking forward to seeing what your 1st make is going to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea. You are so organized. My pattern goal is to use at least one Hot Pattern a month. I have a collection of patterns that I have never opened. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that - one hot pattern a month - I really look forward to seeing what your choices are Towanda.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic and fun idea..Look so forward to seeing what you will draw out of the pattern jar, first.. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fun idea! I think in around the 260 mark with patterns...it's those dang $1/$2 sales!

    Of course I'll use my handy dandy sidekick -aka- my daughter to make the number strips for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we all buy up big at those sales - but really, why pay the full retail - 5 patterns on sale is less than a full retail price pattern. Makes sense to hoard, doesn't it :)

      Delete
  9. I will enjoy watching your game.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, sounds like a brilliant lot of fun!! I would do this, but due to my mind changing nature, I would end up pulling out 23 tickets before I settled on one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see what you pull out to make! BTW - I love how you organize your patterns. I do basically the same thing, except I use gallon size plastic storage bags and file them by name/pattern. They are so slippery, it turns in to a mess - I think your envelope approach is far more practical. I may need to give that a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor can I ! Yes, the large bags would be slippery - it's just you sometimes need something larger than the pattern envelope to store the pieces in when they are cut. Paper envelopes work for that too - you can use the larger A4/Foolscap ones.

      Delete
  12. Wow, you are organised and this is a very interesting technique. I will be very interested to see how this works out as I have a lot of patterns, mainly Burda magazines but first I need to fill my wardrobe with some work basics and they might not appear in the 3 choices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a cute idea! I really like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like lots of fun. I did something similar a loooong time ago at the library and discovered some great new authors .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like lots of fun. I did something similar a loooong time ago at the library and discovered some great new authors .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun as well Janine :). Must try it one day :)

      Delete
  16. I have the same problem with patterns. At last count I had over 300 but I keep buying more. But I must say, I've gotten to be more selective in what I purchase lately. I have to really be wowed by a pattern. Usually when the new patterns are released, I already have something similar. The problem I'm having now is that I have a TON of dress patterns but lately I've wanted to do more simple projects so I've been purchasing top/blouse patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's funny how we keep buying the same styles of patterns - but really, the sense is that it also shows us what our style is! It's great to have simple top patterns - I might join you on that mission.

      Delete
  17. Sarah Liz, you really amaze me! I love your ideas and tips and especially your lovely organization! You are the bomb lady. :) I always think of great new things when I visit your blog. Now to organize all those patterns. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chuckle - a bomb lady - I better tell my husband :). I'm glad you enjoy my blog - and between you and me, I have plenty of disorganisations in my domestic life :)

    ReplyDelete