Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Make a Garment a Month Challenge - January's Skirt


Finally my dressings are off my face( I had a couple of troublesome moles removed, all okay) and I can take photos again.  I had fun doing the pose above - I don't wear tank tops except for showing clothes on blogs, and I don't have attitude.  Not that sort anyway:)

This skirt is made from stretch cotton sateen, which I purchased from Spotlight.  The skirt is a slim fitting, elastic waist skirt so it is really quick and simple to make.  I used Kwik Sew 3765:


I made a middle length skirt - not quite as long as skirt B above, and not quite as short as skirt C.

The first thing I did was check and measure the pattern pieces.  I planned to use XS.  I measured the hips which were to fit 35inces.  You would expect that the waist would also need to be 35 inches if it was to go over the hips.  It wasn't.  It was a lot smaller than that.  The other problem was that this skirt does not have a cut on band - you fold the waist over for casing (see picture below).  As you can see, there is no amount kicked back at the side.




So I added a bit at the side waist.  And when I cut it, I added a little kick back at the top so that the casing would work.  The skirt has a split at the back - I added more at the back so that the fold on the split was a little deeper than the 5/8 inch.  I can also add a zip if I want a snugger fit on the waist line one day. I trimmed the excess away above the split prior to sewing.


Then I made a muslin out of something lying around - this was the full length of the piece - I would never wear a skirt this short (some of you might think I could get away with it :)).


The skirt looks good and fits nicely.  So then I cut out the blue skirt.  I'll let the pictures do the talking now - so here is the skirt, front view:



And the side view:


And the back view - I should have made sure I put the split in the centre of my back when putting my skirt on - isn't it just as well we don't see our back view too often!!

Anyway, the split sits nicely and looks good - that is the main thing!


And that is Kwik Sew 3765.  A really nice, simple, quick, pull on, elastic waist straight skirt.  I will use this one often, especially for stretch fabrics.  The pattern says to use woven fabrics as well, but I think if I did I would make a slightly larger size for the amount of ease that is needed for wovens.


And yes, it looks just like the pattern envelope :)

Sarah Liz

26 comments:

  1. What a pretty coloured skirt ~ and the fit is just perfect ... J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that skirt and the colour is lovely. I think I might have to look for that pattern for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely, quick little pattern to sew.

      Delete
  3. Hey, the attitude works! :)

    Love both skirts. They look great on you and should be easy breezy to wear through the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs Smith, I shall have to work on the attitude :). Yes, it's great for summer, and will work for our winter, with tights.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty skirt! I love the color and it looks great on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great! this pattern looks like it can go casual or dressy
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could be anything you want it to be :)

      Delete
  6. Love your blue skirt... Pretty color.. And the fit looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new blue skirt looks lovely. You are sewing the best looking elastic waist skirts. The last shot is my favorite. Looks great! PS the short one looked good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of elastic waist skirts are far too full around the middle, but the ones I have recently made are not too bad :)

      Delete
  8. You have got the fit of this skirt down pat and can see if being made up in lots of fabrics. Love the blue version and the first photo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re Fit, I am starting to understand my shape :). This will be, as you say, great in all sorts of fabrics. I will have to do more photos like the first :)

      Delete
  9. Very nice. It fits you well, and you could get by wearing the shorter skirt LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could - but I do prefer a more classic look :)

      Delete
  10. Both skirts are very pretty! The fit is perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blue skirt is lovely, but OMG that little short skirt is so very cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda - I may have to put one or two cute skirts on the "to make" list :)

      Delete
  12. You have the attitude for tank tops and now the skirts to match!

    ReplyDelete