Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Fabric Supplier - And my Make a Garment a Month Challenge Plan for January...





I have only recently ventured into the world of online fabric shopping - and I think I will be venturing in much further this year - it's so much fun and so easy - too easy :)

I decided to try Darn Cheap Fabrics.  I had never used them before so I decided that I would only order one skirt length to check whether their photographs realistically represented the fabric - and I wanted to see how close the colour was to the "real" thing - when it arrived.

I was really thrilled when this little package was unwrapped - isn't it gorgeous ?  With a little gift attached:


 A lovely fabric flower - I have attached a brooch back to it so that I can wear it with a jacket.

The fabric was true to the picture of the fabric on the website- I purchased a cotton stretch sateen, medium weight:


The colours in the website did look like this.  The colours and patterns are not really my style, but this  was only a test purchase.  I shall feel confident in the future with purchasing anything from Darn Cheap Fabrics.  If you would like to pay them a visit, click here.  I think this is a business owned by young people and I hope they do well.

I have decided that this fabric will work for an office skirt - it's the right sort of colours.  I also have a couple of dressy t-shirts that can be worn with it, and a black jumper/cardigan in winter.  So I have decided to make this my Garment of the Month project for January.

This is the pattern I will use (New Look 6103):


I will be modifying this pattern as it has a yoked waist - they tend not to sit well on me, so I will using a waistband instead.

Sarah Liz





22 comments:

  1. Nice fabric. It will make a good skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely touch, sending you the flower, and I love that fabric. With a name like that, I am guessing (hoping) this is an Australian store - I'm off to have a look now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a lovely touch - and yes, this is an Australian store.

      Delete
  3. I am also off to have a peek at this site ~ we might all be adding to our 2014 stash very early on ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What better way to start the new year Judith? :)

      Delete
  4. Ooooh I'm so tempted. I have seen their ads in Stitches. I love the colours in that fabric. They are so very me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you would look nice in the bright colours - and there is no harm in window shopping, is there :) So easy to do online :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful fabric, and how lovely to get the flower gift.. I will check this sight out.. Love your skirt pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an Australian site Judy, so the postage will probably be a expensive. But a look is free :)

      Delete
  6. I find I spend more time when I shop online than at the actual store :( Your fabric is just luscious Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be quite time consuming going from page to page online :)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely gift to receive with your order, and so glad the fabric is what you expected and it will look fabulous as a skirt. You will also find you can dress it up if you wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a lovely touch. The fabric will certainly dress up my black jumpers as well :)

      Delete
  8. I love visiting the store and haven't ventured on their online store yet. From what you've purchased, this could be a highly addictive fabric enabling habit.
    Excellent choice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit the store, but this is my best option - thank goodness for online fabric stores - the bit I hated most about moving to a regional centre was lack of access to interesting fabric stores. I will addict quite easily, I can assure you:)

      Delete
  9. I'm lucky enough to have this store local to me. They are really nice, knowledgeable, and also very busy. Sometimes I think I should order online too to save the wait in line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are lucky - I guess you have the two options available - but sometimes it is just nice to go to a shop to touch and feel the fabric :)

      Delete
  10. I am a regular at the Glenhuntly Road store. everyone is so nice there and the fabric choice is wonderful, I always come home with a bagful.
    linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful for you to live near such a fantastic store :)

      Delete
  11. I too love their stores . They have a $2 per metre table and I have hit the jackpot there a couple of times now with good quality fabric and they were extremely generous in cutting the fabric too. Worth a look if you evere get to Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine - I have put this shop firmly on my list for when I do finally go to Melbourne :)

      Delete