Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year Resolutions and Goals...

HAPPY NEW YEAR



Happy New Year everyone :)

I notice that lots of people are doing a 2013 retrospective, but I'm going to take a different approach, and weave my winners and losers from 2013 in out and of the 2014 garments when I have something specific to mention that relates to the garment I am making.

As far as I am concerned, the New Year is a New Opportunity to start anew with sewing.  So I made this little button up, which actually outlines what the word January actually means.  I think the meaning of Beginnings  can be well applied to sewing in so many ways - some of which I have put on the button

I will also be posting this button on the Make a Garment a Month Challenge blog - which
you can find here.  This is to encourage all of you to also think about how you want to approach your sewing over the next twelve months.

*****

So instead of reflecting on what I have done in 2013, I thought I would focus on my "New Beginning" goals for 2014.    Basically, I want to improve my sewing skills, be less critical of my efforts, and to create, over time, a cohesive wardrobe. 

I plant to do this by making  one garment a month (minimum).  I will be using up my stash and working my way through my collection of patterns.My official goals are documented here.
 
 I  need  to sew things that are reflect my style and that are  useful for my lifestyle.   My style is basically a practical one - I am a busy person and like practical and comfortable clothes.  I also like simple, elegant, chic clothes, but they still have to be practical - as do my more formal garments.   My version of Butterick 5917 for instance is fitted but  not too tight and made in a cotton seersucker - so I can bend and move and feel cool and comfortable while I am wearing it :


I'll be continuing my focus on making very wearable basics - quite a few of you have commented that you like my blog because I do make everyday practical clothes - I'll be continuing with that but may also make some classic garments to extend my sewing repertoire and my wardrobe possibilities :)

 *****

I'm also going to be less critical of my sewing attempts.  Last year for instance, I really thought these trousers were unwearable - they were one of my first attempts at trouser making, and they are  a little saggy under the bottom. So I haven't worn them much - until recently, when I wanted some black casual trousers - and found them in the wardrobe.  I thought they looked good, had forgotten I made them, and have worn them happily ever since as a casual around the house pant:

Two views - I don't usually take garden shots, but thought it might be nice to show you some Sarah Liz in real life type of pictures:


Baggy Cotton Pants, Front

and a sort of Side View.

They are rather slouchy, fun and practical to wear.  And I usually wear little flat shoes as well.

This is my everyday Gamin style.

 *****
I'm also going to proudly add my new label:


 I got these from an Australian company - http://fantasylabels.com.au.   I'm surprised my webshield didn't stop me going to a site with the word fantasy in it, but it didn't.  Mind you, the only people who would get excited here would be the crafters and sewers of the world.  Lots and Lots of Lovely Label Variations. Reasonably Priced. Which would excite any sewer!

 *****

I'm also going to get my stash down again -it was supposed to, but it didn't.  I'm not sure why, and my recent raids on Spotlight during their recent sale just netted more:


Maybe I really should start a Stash Fast.  My DH tells me that is it the nature of stash that it will never decrease, probably only increase.  So I suspect I really am rather helpless when faced with an immutable fixed law of stash such as that :)

*****

Did I mention Patterns?  I have 299 of them, plus a few extras like bags, aprons, accessories and undies, which I don't count.  Plus a Japanese pattern book and 10 Burda Style magazines (going up by one a month).  And of course, with Spotlight's 3 for $10 sale a few more came home:

(yes, there is a bit of chain there as well - one day I am going to make a Shanel jacket, so I am stashing chain so that I have some when the day finally arrives)

The trouble with patterns is that I can never decide what to make first - and so I end up buying a new one, which doesn't get made up, because I think I should make up one of the old ones first, or something new and exciting catches my eye.

SO:

 I plan to play a pattern game during 2014  if I can't make up my mind what to I want or need to sew.  I will be setting up a Lucky Dip Pattern Game.  That way I will have a choice made for me if I can't make it for myself.  Do you want to know about that?  Maybe you would even like to join this game :)

*****

That is enough for me to think about for the time being.  I will wish you all well for your sewing goals during 2014.

Sarah Liz :)


24 comments:

  1. Happy New Year and I enjoyed reading your post. The problem with sewers is that we are all our worst critics and I do try hard to realise that anything I make is better than RTW fit in the shops for me. The pattern game sounds interesting as it sounds like it will be patterns that you are tempted to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sharon, I agree, but maybe the good point about our self criticism is that we do keep trying to improve. Will reveal the pattern game soon...

      Delete
  2. Sarah Liz, very nice to see you relaxed in the garden! Sounds like solid goals for the year, especially with how busy you will be. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea, and Happy New Year to you as well :)

      Delete
  3. We don't have to be perfect, just good enough!

    I like your ideas. The lucky dip approach is particularly adventurous. I'm intrigued, will you have another lucky dip for fabric? You could have randomised selections of both and have some really interesting makes.

    Can't wait to see what eventuates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if we are not always good enough, that will have to do as well :)

      Now that is an interesting idea - random approach to both pattern and fabric...

      Delete
  4. I thought that the baggy cotton pants and the white top suited you very well - and the climate here. I think when I look at other blogs I tend to forget that they live in colder places and thus just have a different needs. Good luck with your studies this year and hopefully all will go well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giggles - and you are right, our climate and culture are quite different here - it takes some getting used to :)

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Sarah Luz, best of luck with your studies x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacq, and Happy New Year :)

      Delete
  6. Happy new Year Sarah Liz, great ideas for 2014.I cant believe you 299 patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise - and yes, rather a lot, I agree :)

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year Sarah Liz.
    You are now in a great place and I can see 2014 will be a great year for you. And your wardrobe too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year. Here's to a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year SL! I look forward to joining you on many sewing adventures this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful post.. Enjoyed it. Love your laid back/truthful post.. Best wishes on your sewing/school work in 2014..
    ps. I think we all have the fabric/pattern load.. I agree with hubby, it will never go down.. That is what makes us sewers so happy..ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - so you have one of those stashes as well! Happy New Year :)

      Delete
  11. Wow, I am so impressed you have 299 patterns! I have thrown patterns away over the years, and now am sorry because they come back into style. But now I feel justified in keeping them all - Yay! Love the Law of Stash, and hope mine will grow too. Happy New Year, and Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used to throw them away as well - but now I keep them if they are fairly classic - and they all seem to be :). Here's to your stash! and Happy New Year.

      Delete
  12. Your husband is a wise man! Happy New Year to the both of you.
    Love the garden pictures and your labels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is, and also a stash enabler. Happy New Year Marianne :)

      Delete