Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

T-shirt Troubles and Solutions - New Look 6216

Two days ago I told you about the problems I was having making the long sleeved dolman t-shirt pictured above in New Look pattern 6216.  You will find the post here.

Briefly, the bodice  top is huge and the sleeves are not cut on the stretchy grain of the knit fabric:


I can't take the bodice top in easily as this would distort the armhole shape.  It also would not solve the problem of the tight sleeves.  I also don't want to make this a baggy summer t-shirt by shortening the sleeves - this is a cheap fabric that was put on the muslin pile and it is too warm a fabric for summer.

I have thought about how to solve the problem.  The first part was narrowing the bodice, which was quite a simple matter - I just folded out an inch vertically  out of both the front and back pattern sections.  I chopped off a portion of the sleeve length and then made up a little muslin. As I have already mentioned, I have previously resized the neck.


Well, this looks like a much better shape.  I like this in it's own right as a short sleeve t-shirt - now I need to find something nice to make it in :) !


I also need to attend to the pocket of fabric that flops into my middle back.  It is not a sway back problem, but comes from higher up - I have a narrow and erect back.  I think I will have to alter this as a sway back problem though, as I can't easily do my narrow, erect back alteration on this cut.

The sleeves are still a problem, but I am still working on that...

When I have solved that problem, I will tell you :)

Wishing you a wonderful day

Sarah Liz:)






13 comments:

  1. Fantastic job... You have really improved this t-shirt..Like the new one..Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this pattern for the pants after your post about yours and have been closely following your 'journey' with the shirt because I also thought the shirt looked cute. This one of yours is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, read the reviews on Pattern Review. It is a generously sized tshirt with inches of ease. So what I have done is remove 4 inches from the t-shirt.

      Delete
  3. As always, your determination is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I can get a little fixed on an idea... :)

      Delete
  4. It is definitely getting better! Would you consider putting in a centre back seam, then you could make your back adjustments (or am I just stating the obvious!!!)

    Also - a quick thanks for your recent comments on some trousers that I made - by removing an inch (approx) from the front waist - they hang much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, my next attempt I did put a seam in - and it does look better through the back.

      I'm thrilled my trouser comment worked :)

      Delete
  5. Your t-shirt is looking much better and will be interested to see how you deal with the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon- I have one or two ideas :)

      Delete
  6. Good luck. It is already a huge improvement, I am well impressed. I ended up creating a pattern copying a t-shirt that fitted me pretty well instead of using a commercial pattern, because I got so frustrated with the fitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, commercial patterns can be a bit iffy, but I can't find many RTW t-shirts that look good on me either. When I do, I'll save it to copy :). I'm glad you did make something that worked in the end :)

      Delete
  7. Girl, I am so sorry, when I first saw the pose with the pink tee . . . I am sitting here cracking up. You were too funny.

    ReplyDelete