Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

The 2014 pledges, No RTW, Make a Garment a Month and some Serious Stash Busting needed


 It's that time of year when we all make pledges and plans for what we are going to do for the rest of the year.

And the first pledge is to use up more of my stash.  I've had good fun buying more stash over the last few weeks while the sales have been on, but now it is time to actually enjoy the stash.

I have a great and glorious stash.  It could be even greater and more glorious if I paved the way for even greater and more glorious stash.

This year, the Stashbusting SewaLong is being held by tumblesweeds in the wind. blogspot.com.  Emily has asked us to give some thought as to why we stash.  Well,  I have to admit, I am not given much to introspection on my stashing habits, other than to say that my imagination always runs away with me - so much inspiration, so many possibilities.  And I like having plenty of stash on hand so that I can make something when I find the pattern that is right.  Or vice versa.  I collect patterns too, and I can't always find the suitable fabric.  I have to admit though the habit is getting out of hand - and I want to collect better stash in the future.  So I better start using up what I have.  I don't think I will ever stop buying possibilities stash, so I think I will aim for a 50% ratio.  If I use 2 metres, I can buy 1 replacement metre of fabric.

I think I have to make an official pledge as part of the challenge.

I, Sarah Liz, will shop from my stash for garments I wish to make in 2014.  I will make a minimum of 6 outfits from stash.  I can only purchase fabric if I have used up some stash.  Fabric to be repurchased at 50% of rate of use of stash.  I will document the amount of stash used and the amount of fabric purchase this year. If I purchase fabric it must be to complete a stash project, or to make something to go with a stash project.


A very simple pledge.  The hard part will be keeping it :).  I will have to get started on the stash though, as I have a Tessuti gift voucher to use - and I can't fill that until I have used some stash. This will be a very significant motivator to use the stash!
*****

 The next pledge is also to not buy any RTW clothing this year (exceptions to this are underwear, shoes and so on).  Making your own clothes while living a busy life is not actually easy - but luckily I have a full wardrobe, so with judicious planning I should be able to add to it every year and have plenty to wear. I have joined Sarah Beth's challenge  in order to keep my motivated and on track:

 

This challenge has officially closed to new entrants. But if you want to join a challenge this year, I still have a few places left in the  Make a Garment a Month Challenge.  Blogger does set limits on the number of places that can be allocated, so please let me know by email if you want to join this.  My email address is stylishsarah251@gmail.com.


I also plan to enter Pattern Review Contests this year, where and when they are feasible.  I find them quite fun -  I will have to make something out of stash, and the contest will encourage me to think outside my own square.  I think this will be a good challenge - to broaden my own sewing horizons.  The contest link is not up today at Pattern Review so I think they must be doing things behind the scenes.  I plan to enter the January 16th challenge - the Little White Dress Challenge. 

28 comments:

  1. Great commitments and I plan to do the same, but my stash has had a huge hit already, will confess all next week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - and I can't wait to see what you have done to make a dent in your stash :)

      Delete
  2. Best wishes on your commitments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made lots of plans there, I am impressed. I am always very good in making plans, but not so good in sticking with them. Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plans are just guideposts - if I don't make them, I probably wouldn't make anything :)

      Delete
  4. At a quick glance your pledges look like the opposite to mine (no rules or restrictions in the sewing room). Yet we both aim for a very inspired and creative sewing year. I hope at the end of the year we will both look back and say: 'This really worked for me!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true Marianne - we all have different needs to fill when we sew, and creativity and inspiration are supported by many different routes. I look forward to seeing what works for you this year as well :)

      Delete
  5. I took the same challenges this year. I have a huge stash that deserves to be used. I haven't been seriously tempted to buy more fabric except for one piece at fabricmart that I have had my eye on for a while. The only RTW that I have bought over the last few years is jeans, lingerie and camisoles. Avoiding RTW has got easier the more I sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about your stash last year - so please, please, do use it - your recent outfit (winter 6 pac) is gorgeous :)

      Delete
  6. Yea for joining! Looks like you'll have lots of motivation this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It''s great fun to sew stash in a group:)

      Delete
  7. Good Luck with all your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sarah, I see you joined Sarah's RTW Fast as well. She mentioned that she would be sending out an invitation to a special Facebook page that she set up for the challenge (2014 RTW Fasters page) but I have been unable to connect to it. Have you managed to connect to that page?, and if so, how did you do it. I'm a bit Facebook challenged and need some help here. I've already emailed her three times and don't want to keep troubling her because I know she's dealing with 200+ members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faye, yes I did join Sarah's RTW fast. I am not sure how I got on to here Facebook page - I seem to recall she sent an email. I set up a Facebook account, but not sure what I did next. I'll email you.

      Delete
  9. Good luck with all of your challenges. I don't join the stash ones - I don't have the willpower. I did say I will TRY not to purchase more fabric and then did so the very next day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BeaJay - yes, If I say "no more stash" - I'll be out buying it. But you might notice that I am saying I can buy stash if I use stash - so I have set up a reward system to motivate me to use it:)

      Delete
  10. You have some great challenges there - I love 'shopping my stash' - both fabric and patterns, because guess what - the fabrics are my favorites and the patterns are all my size! I did read somewhere that we should always use up our 'favorite' stuff - and not keep it for 'best' (it was actually to do with pretty paper that you use when making cards or scrapbooking) - because companies are always bringing out better and more lovely fabric/paper/yarn etc., and let's face it . . . . we will want to buy that next as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very True Words - yes, the marketers of course know how to ping our desire buttons - and why ever not. If you enjoy sewing, it is at least a constructive way to live life - as you would be aware, many people do not choose this path :)

      Delete
  11. Looks like you've set yourself some great goals for 2014 and are going to be having a lot of fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I plan to have more creative fun in sewing this year - how I'll go with the stashbusting pledge remains to be seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - your year will be soooo very busy. I look forward to following all you do. And with your stash - very commendable! Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! I'm not sure if I signed up again on the new blog site for the Garment a Month, but I'd still like to participate and have a garment to post :-)! Patty @ sewmuchknitting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty, I've left a comment on your blog - I've found your email address there and sent you an invitation :)

      Delete