Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The last of 2013 - New Look 6129, Skirt


It's taken me a while to post this little skirt - I made a lot of casual "bottoms" last year - all of them fairly forgiving if the figure changes.  This means I won't have to make any more casual bottoms for years - and can start making other things!

This is also the last of my unposted 2013 garments.

This little skirt is my current favourite - New Look 6129.  It is slightly A-Line, has options for pockets, and elasticised waist with a drawstring - I didn't add the drawstring as it adds a bulky line under little t-tops:

New Look 6129

I made this skirt out of leftover broadcloth - I didn't have enough for a skirt, so I added a band at the bottom - like the skirt in the top left hand corner of the pattern picture above.  I thought that the slight difference in colour from the different dyelots would not be so obvious with a seam and topstitching - and if it was, I decided that this was alright as well - it would be a subtle design feature!:

As you can see, there is a slight difference in colour, but it doesn't really affect the look of the garment at all.  the camera flash washes out a lot of colour - so as the skirt is actually quite saturated with colour, the difference is not that obvious.

I'll show you the waistband:

The waistband is not too gathered and the elastic edge suits the style.

The pockets are sewn in with one row of stitching, but I did two to match the flat fell seam at the fabric join:

Now, pictures of the skirt, front, back and sides as is my usual:

Front view
Side view
Back view

I would wear this skirt with a button down blouse or a nice t-top, not with a camisole, bare back and bare arms, tucked in!  This is just to show you the skirt.  In future blogs I will start putting my me-mades together as little outfits.

I have made this skirt three times now - once as a refashion out of polished poplin, once in black calico, and now in cotton broadcloth:

Polished poplin refashion version - longer length

Black Calico version - longer length


Navy Broadcloth version - shorter length
I think this pattern will be remade many times over the next twenty years.  It really is a nice, useful, wearable little skirt.


21 comments:

  1. Sarah Liz, Love this skirt.. And I like the pockets too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fit Sarah. You are really a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :). Actually, I do have a big machine that is very fast, so that helps :)

      Delete
  3. Comfortable and cool - that's my favorite type of garment. Nice for the hot summer weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - If you are uncomfortable, it's a miserable day, as far as I am concerned :)

      Delete
  4. It is a great skirt pattern and you can even dress it up if necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - and as you say, very versatile - that's what I like about these basic little garments, you can dress up or down.

      Delete
  5. So nice to have a TNT you can always turn to when you need it. Love the shorter length on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it. I agree, short suits me, it's just sometimes I do things where long is better.

      Delete
  6. Nicely fitted skirt! I think the shorter length is great on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana, I like shorter as well :)

      Delete
  7. Looks great. I didn't even notice the colour difference. Congratulations. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just perfect for summer wearing ~ you def's have yourself one perfect skirt pattern now ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J - and yes, this skirt is a real "go to".

      Delete
  9. I like the shorter length on you too.... and the pockets! Cute skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a versatile pattern. Your version is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's one of those great little basics.

      Delete
  11. Your skirt turned out great! I just bought the pattern to make my daughter and myself a skirt, but I have somehow managed to lose a pattern piece!

    ReplyDelete