Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Lucky Pattern Game - Draw #1

 A week or so ago I told you about the Lucky Pattern Game - you can find details here.

After a tedious week or so ( my husband's practice is moving soon and guess who is "helping"),  I was in need of some light relief today.  I have done some sewing, and do have a few plans to make some basics for winter, but I needed something a little more interesting to look forward to.  Or at least something not "planned and useful".  So I thought today would be a good day to play the game...

Out with the pot:


Close eyes (with one open for the camera shot) , rummage and take out a slip:


 What do we have:  Vogue 1316, in the Designer patterns (that is what the D is for).


And when I go and find the pattern, this is what I have "pulled out".


 A Rachel Comey design, now OOP.  Funnily enough, it was on my list to make for winter this year - to wear over a jumper, not as a low neck dress.  More as a pinafore dress.  In fact, I had already stashed for it - when Spotlight had a range of colours all in the store at once that would work and suit me.  A very rare occurence, so I stashed it straight away (even though I had taken my stashbusting pledge, but there are exceptional circumstances sometimes.  An as luck would have it, I am going to use it soon, so I think I haven't really done too much damage to the pledge).


These pieces are all the same type and weight of fabric - a polyester/viscose mix gabardine.  I will have some black lining in the stash, so this project is meant to be :)

Sarah Liz :)

30 comments:

  1. This dress is a fantastic design and you will enjoy sewing it. Love your fabric choice: you must have a better Spotlight than my local. I went to the sale this week, first day, and there was Nothing Whatsoever I could coax myself to buy for my stash, and I really love fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia - Our Spotlight is a tier two, so it is very basic. The poly viscose gabardine has not been in stock for months and months - but currently there is a range - so I snaffled some of it. It's a hit and miss process shopping at Spotlight.

      Delete
  2. Excellent outcome! Is this the February garment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I will be making this over time - first a muslin. I will be doing something simple for February.

      Delete
  3. Perfect fabrics for the pretty pattern. I am sure the dress will turn-out beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana, I am sure it will :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful design! You are really lucky in this pattern game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, beginners luck, first draw :)

      Delete
  5. I love this game already and I'm not even playing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pattern is going to look lovely made up in those fabrics. What a great pick for your first lucky dip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh! What fun! Can't wait to see it done up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this will be great to make up :)

      Delete
  8. So sorry you have had such a week..Moving is no fun.. But very sweet of you to help hubby.
    Your game sounds so fun. and love what it is going to produce.. Have fun sewing, and I look forward to seeing it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's only pre-moving at this stage - and so much organisation and planning needed. Sewing is a welcome distraction :)

      Delete
  9. Well that sounds like a great draw! It's sure to liven up the sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great draw - and uses up stash before it really settles into stash :)

      Delete
  10. How wonderful that you got all your fabrics at once, makes it so much easier, I can't wait to see the final garment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking for months, so when I finally saw them altogether, it was an easy decision to buy them there and then :)

      Delete
  11. I like the idea of this dress as a jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what an interesting dress! and those fabrics look perfect for it...
    can't wait to see it
    :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, look forward to showing it to you :)

      Delete
  13. Love your fabric choices...can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a very fun way to start off with your lucky pattern draws! Truly lucky this time :) Can't wait to see the results, I'm sure it will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lucky, I agree. I think it will look lovely as well :)

      Delete