Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

Wrong Colour, Wrong Pattern, Wrong Style.

Well, it's best to get these things over and done with early in the New Year - make the mistake, learn and move on to better things.

So what is it I have done that is the Wrong Colour, Wrong Pattern and Wrong Style?

This:

New Look 6103
Now, those of you that already know me from this blog know that I do not have a curvy figure.  More long lean limbs and arms, and sort of straight in the middle.  No hips, no bottom, no thighs.  I still have an almost pubescent appearance, and I scrape into the petite in height category.

And that is the trouble.  I still find people treat me like a little girl.  But I'm closer to 60 than 16.  So I thought this bright fabric and sophisticated style would make me look a little more grown up.

WRONG.  Bright colours do not suit me.  And round patterns do not suit me - they suit the more rounded figures.  And pegged in skirts do not suit me. And the look on my face says it all:

 I feel very uncomfortable in this skirt.  I don't feel like me at all.  So I would not be happy wearing it.

I put it aside for 24 hours - sometimes I find that I am having a sewing reaction if I don't like something - and after that time, I disliked it just as much, if not more.  So it is going...

I did learn a few things though - some of these printed sateens that are dark on the outside are light on the inside.  How do you get a nice finish if you don't want a plain overlocked edge or if you need to hide a seam?

I had to think about this because I had a godet insert in the back of the skirt.  It was very thick, so I was going to have to trim the underneath seam away.  I couldn't flat fell, so I had to work out how to hem the seam.  I decided lace would look nice:


 So at least I now know what to do in this sort of situation, which will arise in the future.

*****
As the skirt that was the Wrong Colour, Wrong Pattern and Wrong Style was also my January garment for the make a garment a month challenge, I then had to select another one.  Because I still wanted to make a skirt.

I decided on an elastic waist skirt.  I have never really liked them before, but this little skirt from Kwik Sew looked as though it might work.  Most are a little full in the hips and far too gathered around the waist. 

Kwik Sew 3765.


And then I made it - it is a lovely little skirt:



And put my first label in:


It felt a little strange putting a label in - almost a little too self promotional.  I dare say I will get used to it :)

*****
I will post pictures of me wearing this garment in due course.  I can't at the moment because my face has three large white dressings on it - I had some moles removed last week, and the sutures are still in.  Well, I suppose I could post pictures of me in the skirt, but I would prefer not to :)

Have a great weekend everyone, wherever you are :)

Sarah Liz 

32 comments:

  1. It is interesting what we try at times and then don't feel comfortable in. I suppose that is why all my skirts are straight pencil with details like pockets, denim style as any fullness is not what I like. I really like the KwikSew skirt and can see why it would be more you than the printed skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think as sewers we sometimes like to try new ideas, but really, it makes sense to know what your own style is and to stick to it.

      Delete
  2. I like your skirt but I understand. I don't feel comfortable in clothes that say look at me and your skirt is very bright. Hope the results of your moles come back ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine - yes - some people are more outgoing than others and don't mind the look at me clothes.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Is it a wadder or a donation?

    Always good to creatively solve a problem, your lace godet is cool.

    Looking forward to seeing the Kwik Sew skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a wadder - I have no inclination to finish it, and it is unlikely to fit anyone else in any case - the build where I live is quite large :).

      Delete
  4. you know if the skirt was shorter and the shirt not tucked in, it wouldn't overwhelm you quite as much. SO perhaps not a summer skirt, but a winter skirt that can be shorter, because it is worn with thick tights. Sorry, but I quite like it.

    my husband suffers with moles and skin cancers too. hope it heals soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I toyed with the idea of making it shorter, and for winter, but I still won't wear it - it's not me :)

      Delete
  5. Praying you heal quickly. Sorry about the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you're not happy with your skirt. I quite like it, probably because of the colours, but I do like the kwik sew one better. Like your label, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kwik Sew skirt is gorgeous and easy to make - so if I had not made this mistake, I may not have tried this pattern :)

      Delete
  7. I agree with Giggles! Shorten the skirt and dress it up a little bit with some heels, pull out the top or even wear a different one. I like it too! … and the blue one as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is nice, but just not me. I very rarely wear heels, and I think this really was a case of choosing something that just isn't right for me :). I'm sure we have all made mistakes like this from time to time.

      Delete
  8. I love the bright skirt! :) of course, having my own skirt wadder recently, I get it. Glad you found one that you do like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should have swapped skirt wadders - your wadder would have suited me perfectly :)

      Delete
  9. Hope your face is healing well. I like both skirts too! The Newlook 6192 is another skirt pattern that I've found to not have lots of gathers and fabric 'round the waist. The newlook has a pencil-type skirt option, though I've only made the other version @3-4 times. Your nice label will make it easier to tell the front from the back in your cute new elastic waist skirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used the 6192 yet - I'll have to see if it is in my pattern hoard :). You are right about the label - although I usually stitch something at the back of a skirt so I know which way to put it on :)

      Delete
  10. I know what you mean Sarah Liz...but it is good to see this when it is all made up, even though time was used to make a garment you will never wear, you have learned what not to do in the future. I like the second skirt... more you and the label is adorable :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe in learning the lessons that I was sent :). The blue skirt is more me, you are right :0

      Delete
  11. over all the skirt does look nice, but I know what you mean about not being comfortable in something like my dress that turned out to be a mini lol! Happy sewing to you my friend!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Helen - I still chuckle at the idea of you wearing a mini over leggings :)

      Delete
  12. Proud you did the skirt, discovered that it is not for you and moved on.. I do this, and sometimes wonder why ,I picked out such&such fabric or pattern? ha.. But, as you said, we learn from our mistakes.
    And I think your blue skirt is going to be lovely.. Look forward to seeing it on you.
    Sorry about the mole removal... Hope get well soon..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and I think we all make these sort of mistakes from time to time - and as you say, wonder why we did it :)

      Delete
  13. Get well soon SarahLiz! :) i like your skirt btw, it seems to add soft curves to you in the picture. Maybe not to wear it with a tucked shirt like that. Or shorten it to complement your petite ish height with tights and boots? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Far - I did check it with the t-shirt out and it didn't look any better:).

      No, this is a case of out with it and move on :)

      Delete
  14. Awww Booh (a term of endearment in my culture),

    I don't know what to say about your original project because it is difficult for me to be objective. I LOVE, LOVE, bold, bright colors. Sew, after reading the heading of your post, then clicking and the first thing I see is fabric in at least two of my fav colors . . . well, it's hard to be critical. Then again, we know if YOU are not satisfied with it, it simply will not do. Keeping in mind your silhouette, I just don't SEE the big problem (IMHO). Maybe it looks worse in person, LOL.

    The second skirt is "safe", Lady Sarah. Of course you couldn't go wrong with it.

    "It felt a little strange putting a label in - almost a little too self promotional. I dare say I will get used to it :)"

    Honey please, DO YOU. You work hard and by golly deserve recognition. Matter of fact, when I saw the label I was thinking "I've gotta get something like that". But, knowing me it would be wildly colorful like the original skirt fabric that you hated, LOL. Oh, yeah, I've gotta get me some labels.

    Meanwhile, aren't you the one on the ball. I haven't even started the bodice muslin for my January GAM item! Then again, remember I had to wait until my eBay pattern arrived. Well, it did, safely and I am so excited to get started.

    Ciao,

    Lyric
    http:www.sewandcro.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyric - what a fun reply :) You raise some interesting points about the colours and style being more to your liking - and then astutely comment that if it is not mine it won't work for me. You are so right :).

      I'm not always on the ball - it just depends what is happening :)

      Delete
  15. I really like your skirt! I think a bit shorter and with dark tights would look great as a Winter skirt. I normally don't go for highly patterned fabrics when clothes shopping but seem to be a bit more daring when I see the bolt of cloth!! I think it is good to go out of your comfort zone occasionally! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jolanda - I agree that going out of the comfort zone sometimes works, but not this time. The plain blue skirt is almost out of the comfort zone :)

      Delete
  16. I know what you mean. Personally I love the skirt but I am wild colours and patterns... where you are more of a sophisticated pallet. You know what suits you which is good. And having a label is great. It is your hard work. The blue skirt will suit you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BeaJay - yes, you have a wildchild inside that wants to break out :). And you are correct, I do prefer a more classic look :)

      Delete