I used a see through crinkly embroidered cotton cheesecloth with a voile lining. I used New Look 6095:
I also decided to use a cotton facing (interfaced) over the voile lining to add more stability. The sleeves were bagged out and a binding used to finish the armscye seam.
First I constructed the shells of outer dress and inner lining. The back seam was left open:
Then I constructed the sleeves:
Before inserting the zip, I decided to sample the insertion of an invisible zip and do french seams underneath:
Next job was to tackle those french seams:
First I worked out which way to seam them - as you know, they seams have to end up inside. With a dress and a lining, this was going to get confusing:
Then repeat the process with the lining - I started the seam one inch (2 cm) below the starting point of the dress as otherwise a lot of bulk would be sitting under the zip.
Now for that handsewing - I couldn't get the machine right up into this part of the seam:
Like this - now it is all sewn up:
You will also see that I have added the lace binding to make the edges of the zip allowance look attractive.
Voila. Done. Here is the finished shell, back view :
This is straight from the machine - I can't iron this fabric. Also, the crinkly cheesecloth drops like made, so I think I've done quite a good job on the zip.
The finishing of this dress was then straightforward - simply sewing in the sleeves and then hemming it.