Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Getting Back into the Swing of Things

Before I start this post, I would like to thank you all for your wonderful, insightful and supportive comments that you left on my last post.  I am humbled to be part of a such a talented sewing community - everyone of you, as well as sewing, have amazing stories of your own to tell.  Once again, Thank you for your love and support.

Of course I am feeling a little tired and flat - that is to be expected, but I am slowly picking up the sewing again.  I had planned to make a second black and white t-shirt for the March Make a Garment a Month Challenge.  I'll cut this tonight.   The fabric is in the centre of the picture above.

This year I decided to learn to sew knits, so I have pulled out two pieces of pre-shrunk jersey in berry and purple - these colours seem to be in at the moment.  I'm not influenced by the colours being on trend - they happen to be colours that suit me, so it makes sense to wear them, in fashion or not :).

*****

My DH is very nice and while grateful to me for helping sort things out, feels a little upset too.  So when I said I thought some stash therapy would not go astray, he said, get as much as you like.  I didn't quite do that - mainly because our local store, good old Spotlight, doesn't have an inspiring selection of fabrics. 



I did find some knits that were on sale - and as knits are my current learning project in sewing, I purchased some of these.  They were job lots, and Spotlight has no idea what they are - so they label them Polyester and Nylon.  Well, I could tell by the feel that the knits I purchased were not as labelled.  A burn test at home revealed that they had a natural fibre in the content.  So I was pleased with my astute awareness of textile content - feel alone can tell you quite a bit about the content.  A natural fibre will always feel a little warmer  after holding it in your hand for a while.  Synthetics don't.

*****
I had a lovely little desk delivered to my home recently - it was in one of the rooms at the building where the practice used to be.  A lovely oak desk.


I'm thrilled, because now I have a place to lay out patterns, do drawing or tracing, and cutting out - and I can leave it there.  This is a vast improvement on trying to clear things away off the big table so we can eat :).  The drawers are an added bonus - places to keep pens, glue, rulers and all sorts of miscellany.

*****
And this is a view into my sewing space - we live in an old house, with a nice wide passage that has serves no purpose.  It used to have archives stored in it, but I wondered why they had the good light and why I didn't.  So the archives were relocated and I adopted the passage.  It's cosy and absolutely filled with sewing paraphanalia.  While I love some of the wonderful studios that some sewers have, I'm just grateful to have a nice dedicated space that I can call my sewing own.

 
*****
Do you have a sewing space of your own?  If not, how do you make a little space to sew?  Some people have fold up tables and cupboards, some sew on the kitchen table.  What amazes me is that we sewers always find a way to sew, whatever the constraints.

Do look after yourselves, wherever you are,

Sarah Liz

29 comments:

  1. Sarah Liz...you are such a wonderful person who is very supportive of all of us, and I for one Thank you! Your sewing space is yours gallery where you create your art in a form of a garment that is special to you! Love you new sewing table/desk...it offers alot of character too. You have a sweet hubby to send you out for stash therapy! I can see you came back with a nice haul. I love the raspberry color knit...very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS my sewing galary is a wall in my bedroom for now. Having some home construction...so hope fully soon it will be moved..but for now...its what I have and thats good enough for me!

      Delete
    2. My husband is very good at facilitating stash hauls :). I'll bet you can't wait until you have your new space - but a special wall works too :)

      Delete
  2. Now you know that if you need a fabric stash shopping day, come to Sydney:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it's on the list of things to do this year :)

      Delete
  3. Stash therapy: just what we all need in the down times, Sarah Liz. I hope you enjoy some sewing this week in your new sewing space. The desk is a real treasure, with all those drawers to fill. For the first time in my life I now have a whole room to sew in - the main luxury is not having to put things away. During my sewing life I have gone from kitchen table, to corner of laundry, nook in rumpus room - lots of places. Now I just have to clean up when my grandson comes and he sleeps in a camp bed on the floor in there. I will watch with interest your journey with knits, as I am doing the same. Love your raspberry knit, and the b/w patterned one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us have had sewing spaces like yours Patricia - I'm glad you have a nice room now :)

      Delete
  4. Pretty fabrics you snagged! Love the desk. It is really nice and you will enjoy it in YOUR space!

    Before we moved I sewed at the dining room table so I had to clean up completely all the time. Now I have a room in the basement. It's not gorgeous or bright but it is MINE and can get as disarrayed as I like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a pain having to clear sewing away all the time. I'm glad you made yourself a defined space.

      Delete
  5. I have a sewing corner in my bedroom. It is not large but it has a table with my machine, bins of patterns and notions, and my dress form. Maybe someday I'll have my own room but for right now I am content.

    The desk looks like it will work wonderfully and it is so lovely. And fabric therapy never does anyone any harm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes space is at a premium - but at least you have defined a spot which says sewing is important to me.

      Delete
  6. Nothing like some good ole retail therapy. I have a dedicated room but it is the smallest room in the house. I have a small table for cutting but it is currently cluttered LOL. And even in its cleanest state it's not always large enough. For larger projects I use the bed for cutting or the living room floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A small room sounds lovely - it's wonderful to be able to leave clutter around:) The floor makes a wonderfully large table.

      Delete
  7. Sarahliz,
    Love your knit fabrics.. I see lots of pretty garments in the future.. Your hubby is absolutely the nicest.. His appreciation of you, and kindness to tell you to buy what you wanted..is very kind .[I have one of those hubby's too,and I very much appreciate it.]
    The desk is wonderful.. Perfect for your sewing things, Nice to have that sewing space to encourage the sewing.
    I have a sewing room.. [Once my kids left home, I took one of the bedrooms, and it is now totally mine..nothing fancy.. but all mine..]
    Happy sewing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Judy, my husband is a kind man - that is the only sort to have :). I'm thrilled you have your own little space as well :)

      Delete
  8. Good for you-take care of yourself as you go through this change of plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, and it's lovely to see you back again. I hope you enjoyed your trip :)

      Delete
  9. Love that desk! I am very lucky and have a craft room, it is the smallest room in the house but it is mine and lovely and bright. I can't fit a cutting table in there so I still use the dining table for that at the moment - I have plans though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have a small space just for you Jacq :)

      Delete
  10. Great to see some fabric retail therapy happening. Even though Spotties doesn't have a great selection. Love your desk. I have a sewing room but it is a walk through room that people need to pass through to get to the back of the house so no closing off unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pest having a walk through room, but at least you have a proper place put aside for sewing :)

      Delete
  11. What a great guy for a kind spirit. =) It is quite wonderful to be surrounded by such awesome support. You'll come out on top no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree L - he is kind, and we do mutual support here :) And the support of your bloggers is just amazing :)

      Delete
  12. I love your desk and the fabrics are lovely.
    My sewing room is the smallest room in the house but still enough to put all the stuff. My husband gave me a medium table with three drawer to put my sewing machine and overlocker. Next to the table in the right side is my dress form and the left side is another drawer to store fabrics and nations plus a printer. Then in the opposite side is my washing machine and iron board. But I need to use the dining table to trace the pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lovely little set up to work in Hana, I am pleased for you. I'm glad you have a husband who knows what is important to you - it makes life a little easier :)

      Delete
  13. You managed to get some lovely fabrics from Spotties, and thank you for the comment about the fabric quality, I never knew.

    Your desk looks perfect for its dedicated activity and will make cutting out so much easier.

    I am lucky that I have a sewing room that I only need to tidy when we have house guests which isn't that frequent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes you can find things at SL, it's amatter of looking and staying true to the types of fabrics you will actually use. Glad you have a sewing room - I guess it's okay to turn it into a guest room as, in my esperience, sewing tends to grind to a halt during visits - knitting can work though :)

      Delete
  14. What a kind, encouraging husband you have, and I love the whole idea of 'stash therapy'! Will definitely have to remember that one! Your fabric is lovely and all those colors will look great on you. LOVE your desk!!! I have a 'thing' about desks, maybe because my prior 'life' was centered around real estate/business things. And I think your sewing space is lovely.... bright, airy and yours! I have the great good fortune to have a room all to my own, thanks to my sweet husband who decided that is what should be @a year ago. It used to be a guest bedroom, but all the bedroom stuff's been cleared out and slowly, but surely, I'm filling it with furniture that suits my personal needs. Bliss. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to have a room of your own - and a husband who could see what you needed. I love all sorts of furniture, so long as it is not too formal. Sounds as though you like your new life quite well - the twists and turns from prior to new lives are always interesting.

      Delete