Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

March Garment Made!


 Yes, I managed to make a top this week.  I have made one of these before:



If you want more details about this top, please click here.  If you just want to know what pattern I used, it was Kwik Sew 3766, a nice easy to sew, basic tee shirt. 


I had scraps left over from the first top, and I thought with a judicious juggling I would be able to eek out another top.  I don't like keeping scraps, they tend to take up as much space as the original piece and you invariably don't go back to them.  And, I like black and white tops, so I thought a second would not go astray.  I did manage a second top, only I had to make the three quarter length sleeves, which I rather like

The fabric is really nice in real life, but I am afraid is just strobing and looking grey in the photos. 


It's a poly cotton mix, quite a good quality, which I found at Spotlight.  Occasionally you can strike it lucky at Spotlight.  It was not cheap, but as I managed to eke out two tops, I think the price sort of worked out more reasonably when spread over two garments.

I added a band to the sleeves and the hem to finish the top.  I have learnt that this is quite a good way to hem knits.  It looks clean and neat.  I thought I had made this method up, then I found out the Sew-A-Holic uses a similar technique in the Renfrew top.  I must get the pattern to see what they say about this technique.  Still, I was pretty pleased with my problem solving skills :).

I decided to take photographs outside today - I hoped they would be clearer than my indoor poor light pictures.  They are not much clearer, but they do look nicer.

Here goes, sort of a front view first:


Then a back view:


These are self timed shots - it would be lovely to have a photographer on hand and proper lighting. But for now it's just me, a Canon PowerShot A480, and a stool as a tripod:


 
And hope for the best with self timed shots! The things we do to get our blog photos :)

Happy sewing everyone,

Sarah Liz

27 comments:

  1. thanks for this information and welcome to my fashion spot www.style2designer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shirt looks very soft and comfy! Ah - horizontal stripes - only in my dreams where I am a little skinny minny!! Good ole' Spotlight can sometimes throw us a real gem!!

    Cheers,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen - yes, horizontal stripes are not for everyone, I have to avoid vertical stripes :). And you are right about SL and the odd gems.

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking that you should take advantage of your husband's guilty inspired largesse, & buy a tripod at least!

    Most excellent T shirt - like all your makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do that one day - I have a great selection of little stools that do well, and the advantage of those is you can also perch a cuppa on them :)

      Delete
  4. it's good to have a pattern you can depend on, great job on the tee, looks nice!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pics are fun.... and great job on your finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the stripe tshirt. The fit is great and looks good on you..
    I so understand about photos..eeeh..The outside ones were pretty
    [that is a beautiful gate in the picture].. Hope your work is getting caught up..
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - the outside photo's are nice, I agree. And I have an action plan for catching up on the work :)

      Delete
  7. This is a lovely t-shirt. Nicely done and I love the stripes fabric very much. I like your pictures as well :) Outside pictures is so much better result than inside room.
    Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. , Thank you Hana -stripes always look nice made up, just tricky to cut out:)Yes, outside pictures are nicer, but sometimes we have to take them inside, if it is far too hot, or windy,or raining :).

      Delete
  8. I like the addition of the bands also, and love seeing photos of you outside :-) Buy a mini tripod (with DH money).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a lot of fun with this photo shoot outside ~ I have this pattern and now must really pull it out and whip up something like this, it looks super on you ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really simple little basic t-shirt - easy to make.

      Delete
  10. Oh I love your outdoor shots... you did a fantastic job, especially with the 'walking' one! Those are hard to get. Your gate is beautiful as is your tile work. You look happy and relaxed. Your shirt is so cute! I like the 3/4 sleeves and the way you finished the sleeves and hem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - the tiles and gate, and the house generally, all need some TLC - it's that time again. It is a cute shirt :)

      Delete
  11. Curious to know how the raffle ticket thing is going when choosing your patterns/fabrics ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I''ll tell you soon in a post :)

      Delete
  12. Love it! Once again, you nailed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah Liz, I nominated you for a Liebster!

    http://sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-liebster-for-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nakisha, I'll be over to your blog later to talk about it :)

      Delete