Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

A T Shirt from Leftover Fabric...

A New T-Shirt
 The above t-shirt might look very familiar but it is a newly made t shirt.  I made it out of the leftover pieces from the dolman sleeve t shirt I have recently finished.

Dolman sleeve T-shirt.
(For those of you who want to read about the dolman sleeve t-shirt and find out what I did, please visit this page. )

Okay, now about today's t-shirt - I used Kwik Sew 3766, which is fast becoming my standby t-shirt pattern.  It's a lovely basic shape and works nicely.

I used size S as I do not like skin tight t-shirts.  I turned up the hem  a little more than suggested on the pattern (1.5 inches instead of 1 inch). The sleeves are a little shorter than the pattern pieces, as I had no more fabric to use - but they are quite long enough.

  

The fabric is an unknown knit from Spotlight.  I'm pretty sure it has a high viscose content - both from the residue of a burn test, the feel, the softness and the fact that it wrinkles quite a lot.  

There's not much to say about this t-shirt - I serged the seams, and just double stitched the hems - this fabric handled nicely on my basic machine and so I felt confident doing the hem on it.   For the double stitched hemI used a very slight zig zag stitch (this will stretch with the garment) and did two rows of stitching. I can't use twin needles on this machine, so I have to rely on eye sight and good old operator skill to achieve a reasonably even space between the two rows.

Here are a selection of pictures - I'm getting used to the self timer - I set it on 3 shots in 10 secs and quickly pose, move and run around and hope for the best - this is what I came up with (and a few more that were blurred, but I'm not bothering with them).

Front view:

 

 Sort of side view:

 Back view:

 And another side sort of view:

The twist  scarf I made to go with the dolman sleeve T-shirt can of course also be worn with this one:


I think my recent knit making adventures have now stopped.  I don't think I am going to be a lover of making knit garments, but I do think it is an essential skill to have.  And certainly I will want to make my own knit basics instead of buying them - especially as I can make garments in colours and shapes that suit me.

I do wish you all the best in your sewing journeys as well...

Sarah Liz


25 comments:

  1. Another pretty/well fitting tshirt.. I just love that blue color on you.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of lovely tops in great colours.

    Does this mean you are back to making pants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another top to add to your repertoire ~ I have this same pattern and now must really pull it out and give it a go ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great little top, Judith - very basic, which is sometimes just what is needed.

      Delete
  4. Another pretty top! And I'm like you, I don't love sewing with knits either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seems to be a love/hate thing!

      Delete
  5. I think this is one of my favorites on you. The fit is quite flattering. Is that a pair of your recent black pants you just made? They look terrific! You are doing great with your picture-taking too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - no these pants are not me mades, next time!

      Delete
  6. This a fantastic pattern for you fits great. Love the color. I'm out of town this week and on my way to see if I can discover any mom and pop fabric shops to treat myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and have a lovely visit and hopefully some great shopping :)

      Delete
  7. I nominated you for the Sunshine and Shine On award. See my blog for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the nice top. Your persistence in figuring out knits is inspiring. Unlike you, I like sewing with knits although there is frustration in the fact that each type of knit acts differently. Still, you have acquired some very pretty and wearable garments as well as adding to your sewing "knowledge base."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's interesting how we all like to sew different fabrics and garments - part of the enjoyment of reading blogs :)

      Delete
  9. The tee is so nice and I love the pics. You look like you're having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent job on sewing the "T". Looks great on you. You have to love KWIK Sew patterns. They're some of my favorites ; )

    ReplyDelete