Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Very Busy Sewing Week...

Well, I have had quite a sewing week.  DH and I planned to  go away this week  - to my residential school that isn't anymore, since I made the big decision recently that I couldn't do it all - not at the moment, anyway, until things are more under control at DH's practice. ).  So we had a week booked out from the practice.  And we also finally finished at the old premises - hoorah.   DH had lots of odd jobs to do this week, and I wanted to get some transitional basics quickly sewn while I had the time.

Excuse my slightly underdressed look in these photos - I wanted to show you the top of these trousers, and wearing a longer top over them - which is what I do - was not going to show you how these are made and how they fit.  Tucking in a thicker t-shirt doesn't work very well and adds bulk around the hip area, so I thought I would use this flimsy camisole - it is short so it works quite well to show this area without too much added bulk. It's cold today (about 20 degrees C, which some of you might say is still mild, especially those of you who are emerging out of a long northern hemisphere winter) and I am not enjoying being this bare!

These pants are really very quickly sewn pants for wearing everyday.  I made them out of stretch cotton sateen, from Spotlight.  It will wrinkle like mad, but then if I bought sateen trousers the same thing will happen.

My sewing was fast and furious - I have an urgent need for transitional pants.  I have cotton ones now for summer, but not much for casual for this time of year.

I used Kwik Sew2960:
Kwik Sew 2960.
 This pattern is designed for stretch fabrics.  I cut XS for the leg/hip and s for the tummy/waist (plus a smidgen more for the tum).  I added a little more length as the pant was quite short.  I eliminated the zip and added casing for the waist and used elastic. I just added a little on the sides so that the trousers would fit over my hips.

I have made this elastic waist variation  before (last year) in a patterned fabric (then discovered I don't wear patterned pants that much - but I plan to this winter with a rather boring and very long cardigan I have just unearthed in the woollies drawer- that should tone the pants down a bit).


 These were made in a fairly thick stretch cotton twill.  The legs are a little short, so I added extra when I cut the black pants out.


Although I did an under bottom adjustment, there is still quite a fold underneath.  I altered my adjustment with the black pants.  And the crotch did not feel right, so I altered it a bit.  And raised the waist a little bit as I prefer high waisted pants for comfy wear. 

Now the photos of the latest pair:

 And the back:
(and I forgot to tuck the back label of the camisole in!  I debated whether I should redo the photos, but not only are they tedious to do, but it's cold today, and I don't want to undress again).
 
The fabric handles quite differently - it is softer and lighter in weight.  The tail is fitting better, and the under bottom wrinkles are a little less.  These are wrinkles down the legs in both front and back pictures - but I was running backwards and forwards to the camera to reset the timer - so no stylist to adjust the wrinkles, and no airbrushing afterwards either.  But this is how they will actually look when being worn.  I'm happy with this for home wear.  And the fit is not too bad considering my fit issues.

If you look at these RTW pair - you can see how baggy they are for me in the leg at inner and outer thigh:

 

They are baggy in the back as well, and they are one of my better fitting RTW pants:

 

Even my more poorly fitting me mades are no worse, and often better, than this. And I learn more each time I make something, both about sewing and fitting.

As these are home pants for everyday use, I needed a pair to wash and a pair to wear.  So, I made two pairs:



Not only did I sew these, but I also made my April garment of the month.  The same pair of trousers in a blue stretch cotton sateen, also from Spotlight(in my stash).

Well, you can see my little tum in these!  Which is why I like making my own clothes - you can accommodate the curves and contours.  I have such slim hips and a large waist to hip ratio - in other words an up and down type shape, it is impossible to buy things to fit.

And now the back:


For the rear, I am slightly arching my back , and that has caused some of that wrinkling - but my RTW trousers are no better, and don't fit my hips and things nearly as neatly.  Also, I do like some fullness in my pants legs, and there will always be some wrinkling - as you can see, I am very thin, and my legs and arms are slender- there is never going to be a perfect fit with pants for me - nor would I want it - I need a bit of bulk, not skin tight somethings that emphasize my pin legs and slightly rounded tummy. 

Now, these only took about a day to make, so I had a bit of time leftover.  I also had a bit of black sateen left over.  So I quickly made a little skirt.  Again, with an elastic waist.  I used Kwik Sew 3765:


 Again, I cut XS hips and legs, and S for the tummy and waist area.  I used the short version and added 2.5 inches.  I have made the skirt in January of this year, in a stretch cotton sateen (again, from Spotlight):



It only took me about an hour from go to woe in making up this skirt (I do have a big machine that sews quickly).

So my new skirt for winter, over tights:

And the back:


I think I will be taking photo's of these garments again one day - with proper tops.  Showing of sewing is one thing - but to show the clothes to their best advantage takes a bit more effort.  However, I do believe this sort of basic photography is good for showing the garment as it is, as it is sewn.

Well, I am so sewn out , that I am having a break today :). I don't always enjoy what my mother calls hack sewing, but it sometimes gets the job done.  So I am not feeling much like sewing today!    - But - I am pleased I have some basics to wear for this in-between sort of weather.

Next I want to make some slightly more fashionable basics to add to my classic basics.  Back to work next week, with the BAS (business activity statement, a quarterly imposition from our Tax Office that everyone hates doing), then the accounts to get in order, so something a little more interesting will be needed!

Happy sewing everyone,

Sarah Liz



40 comments:

  1. Great basics, Sarah Liz. And so productive, too, you have earned your break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Six garments!

    Yikes SarahLiz - time for a cuppa and a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but only four (!) this week - the patterned trousers were made last year and were put in just to show the fit. The T shirts were made a couple of weeks ago, and the other trousers are RTW to show the fit problems there as well! Still, I agree, four garments is heavy going - but then I do have a semi industrial machine which sews quickly. And these were very simple garments.

      Delete
  3. These are lovely! I am still envy with your skill on pants making, I hope I will make a proper fitting pants one day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - and I am sure that one day you will tackle pants perfectly :)

      Delete
  4. Those all look great. I think you have the pants fit down. Sewing basics is not a lot of fun, but great to have the wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly - as you say, not much fun to sew at all :)

      Delete
  5. Wow Sarah! You certainly were productive . That's the kind of week I'd like to have in my new Sewing Room but housecleaning is getting in the way!. I so agree with you that pants we make even if not perfect, fit so much better than RTW. Yours look really good as does your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana - yes, we need to remind ourselves that are own garments are not too bad, once we master the basics :)

      Delete
  6. Excellent work!! Now you can wear these beauties and plan an elegant sewing project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm looking forward to the change :)

      Delete
  7. What A Great Sewing Week You Had!!! Love The.Bottoms.You.made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Sarah! When talking about basics you are talking my language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - basics are essential :)

      Delete
  9. You had a very productive week indeed. Those all look great. I need to sew some basics too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy you got to have some good sewing time, before your busy work week is coming.
    You did a great job fitting your pants.. and love the skirt.. Hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have definitely been busy sewing!!! Nice looking pants. They fit you well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great trousers and skirt, and so glad to see you sewing again. A lot of us sewers need to realise that what we fits us better than RTW no matter how bad we think it is, so glad you have pointed this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - hope you find some time soon as well.

      Delete
  13. You did get a lot accomplished this week. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the detailed info. Much appreciated. Basics that fit well are great and one of the reasons I'm attempting to sew. As you point out, RTW fit is often a problem and I think y'all accomplished sewists should give yourselves big pats on the back for this - it still looks like magic to newbies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all started as newbies, so I can understand how you feel - overtime you will gain confidence and skills,- and you will also have quite a few mishaps - even experienced sewers do :)

      Delete
  15. I'm so impressed with how much you got made. Your trousers look like they fit beautifully to me, what a wonderful thing it is to be able to make something to fit yourself so well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacq,and I agree, it is - I could never buy trousers to fit.

      Delete
  16. So smart to make 2 pairs of black pants! Great wardrobe basics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I try to make things that are actually in my wardrobe plan :)

      Delete
  17. These are fabulous! Great fit on you too :)x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow you have been busy. What wonderful additions to a beautifully wearable wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You have made a great dent in sewing basics with your productive output!!! Thank you for reminding us that fitting ourselves can be a better fit than rtw, no matter how 'bad' we think it fits. That's me right now, as I'm struggling to fit myself and find I am so much more critical of my handsewn garments, than the rtw in my closet. Also, appreciate how you try to really 'show' us the garment and how it fits. All looks super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I do think we have to be positive about our efforts :).

      Delete
  20. You really got a lot of sewing done. I love the pants on you - especially the print. And the skirts are really nice too. You've made a lot of basics.

    ReplyDelete