Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sunday Sewing Chat- The Week in Review and the Week to Come



I'm back to my old routine of Sunday Blog Chats - I really enjoy them, and I hope you do too.  It really is lovely being part of the wonderful world of the online sewing community.  I'm slowly getting back into sewing this week and...

*****


 ... managed to make two knit tops.  I was a novice at sewing knits - I had avoided them most of my life. Wovens, yes, wedding dresses, yes, jackets, yet (I haven't made a jacket for years, but I find them really fun to sew - it's a pity we have a casual lifestyle now - formal jackets are not needed so much.  I'll have to work out how to make casual jackets instead). So this year I decide it was time to learn.  They do have a very different feel and handle to them, and I still need to learn a little more.



 But for those of you ,who, like me, haven't sewn knits, do have a go.  Get a cheap knit, and the worse that can happen is that it doesn't work.  And at the same time you learn.

*****



Next week I plan to make some transitional basics - I need quick pull on trousers for everyday wear.  I have plenty of casual cotton ones, but I want some stretch cotton sateen pull ons.  Stretch cotton sateen is a little warm to wear in our humid summers, but just right for April/May. I will make black pull on pants and a blue pair.  I have chosen the blue pair as the April Garment of the Month garment.


I will be making view C, the straight leg pants.  I have modified these before and have added an elastic waistband, instead of a more fitted waistband and zip. 

*****

Accordion 3 recently asked me how the pattern game was progressing. (For those of you who don't know what the game is, it's a lucky dip of patterns - what you pull out, you make.  I've only had my first draw so far).

This was the pattern I drew:


So far, not far!!  I made the muslin, which fits perfectly:



 and then cut the dress and started making it:

 



  I thought I would like it.  I don't.  I've held up the bits so far, and it does not suit me.  What to do???  Don't continue.  I have learnt that if you force yourself to make something that you know deep down does not suit you, you will not wear it.  What I have learnt is that I don't like the colour blocked look. At all.  I also found the curved seams a little too curvy, and the dramatic lines a little too hard for me.

I added the skirt and the whole look got worse.  It looks nice above, but held up it really doesn't do me justice.  It looks like me trying to be like the picture on the pattern envelope, instead of me trying to be me, by wearing my sorts of styles.

I did enjoy the seaming process and have rethought this whole project.  It is ''on hold" for either texture blocking, or pattern blocking in little ditzy prints that do suit me.  And what did I find in my stash:


Yes, little black and white cotton prints.  I see a cute pattern blocked summer dress happening.  I can check out craft fabrics too.  Now I'm excited about this dress - it will be fun, and fun to wear.  But still sophisticated and grown up.  I think the prints will take away some of the dramatic   of the bodice of the  dress, and also suit the skirt, which, if you look at the picture of the dress, is rather bouffant and not as fitted as you would expect for dramatic style of dress.  I think the small prints, and the floral mix will work with the curved lines of the skirt in a playful way. I will also have to think tonal values.  I think it may well work, and, as you all know, I keep working at something until it does work.

*****

Sewing Rooms.


 
Recently I posted a picture showing you my sewing space.  I asked you about your sewing spaces and loved all your comments - which I do read, and usually reply to.  It seems that most of us do have a dedicated area in which to sew. I'm pleased about that, because it means we say both to ourselves and others around us that sewing is an important need that we have.  And it is important to respect our sewing needs.  And it's interesting how sewers manage to find a space somewhere, even in laundry's, cupboards, bedrooms, where the machine is set up.

*****
That's it for now, do all have a great week, wherever you are.

Sarah Liz




15 comments:

  1. This Rebecca Taylor dress (I assume it's the same one although the envelope is different) was reviewed on PR today so I had a look at that review and a couple of others. I like yours more than the original. I understand exactly what you mean when you say stop sewing something you know you won't wear as it won't suit. I hope your black and white print version works out and that you feel happy to wear it. The prints look lovely. I love the colour of both your tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - yes, I'm looking forward to the print version - early summer sewing!

      Delete
  2. This Rebecca Taylor dress (I assume it's the same one although the envelope is different) was reviewed on PR today so I had a look at that review and a couple of others. I like yours more than the original. I understand exactly what you mean when you say stop sewing something you know you won't wear as it won't suit. I hope your black and white print version works out and that you feel happy to wear it. The prints look lovely. I love the colour of both your tops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be interested to see how your KS pants come out. I made a muslin of this pattern a few months ago, but haven't returned to it. It's good to see you back, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello L, yes, I have made this pattern before, and while not perfect, they will do for those very basic sorts of pants.

      Delete
  4. I think that is a lesson that a lot of people can use -- don't continue on a project if you are not going to like it or wear it. I have soldiered on with several projects and in the end, I give them to someone who likes the garment. Ohh-- the fabrics you found are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is exactly what you do - soldier on, not really enjoying what you are doing!

      Delete
  5. Proud your back.. Enjoyed this post..
    I too. feel that once you discover that a garment is not working for you...no need to proceed futher .... I will never wear it.. But , the sewing was a learning curve..
    Love all your black prints..this is going to be cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a hard lesson to learn, and all those subscripts that come in - waste of fabric etc - but really, it's better to just learn and use the lessons later so that you don't repeat the mistake.

      Delete
  6. I love your black and white stash fabrics...especially the black and white polka dots. I have to agree its hard to finish a project that you start off with such high hopes and excitement only to find half way through its not going to work. This has happened this month for my monthly project...a vintage pattern which fits excellent, but the flaw is the feel of the material which feels scratchy and still ( I'm the oposite of you...I enjoy sewing knits...just recently started sewing wovens). So I'm going to stop sewing my blouse in the current material, and move on to my plan B. I will for sure revisit I vintage blouse pattern. But for right now, I have to sew something I can be excited sewing. Look forward to seeing you pants, basics are a good way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes a break and revisiting with new eyes works. I did that with this project, but it wasn't working, so then I knew that was the time to let go. Sorry about your dashed hopes - and what you learnt about the feel of fabric though, will help you later.

      Delete
  7. I do stop sewing the garment that I decide I will not wear, but I leave the pieces and the patterns hanging about, often for years. I need to take the next step and get it out of the house the same week. Not flattering on me? Finish the garment and donate it to a charity shop. The difficult sewing will leave me with a bad memory? Do not finish, Put the pieces in a bag and give it away to a quilter. Sell or give away the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems like an excellent strategy - too often we hold on, and what for?

      Delete
  8. You've touched on a couple of good lessons in this post. Not only what to do/how to feel about a garment you decide after all is not for you, but sticking with what is your personal style in the end, no matter what the pattern envelope looks like, or what the sewing community is doing. Color-blocked garments are everywhere and look great on others, but they are not 'my style' either and it's kind of hard to say that seeing all the wonderful things made out there. Love both your cute knit tops and your outside photos! Look forward to seeing your pants and what you do with that pretty black & white fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lisa, it is so important to recognise your own style and lifestyle needs - it's easy in the sewing community to want to make absolutely every gorgeous idea - but that is not really a good strategy - it's expensive in time and money if the garment does not work for you :)

      Delete