Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

The last in my series of quick pull on pants...



This is the last pair of pants in the current series of five pairs of pull on pants.  So far I have made four pairs in stretch cotton sateen.  I needed a pair of pants for slightly smarter occasions, and rather quickly, as I have none in the wardrobe (except for old work pants, which I don't like and wouldn't want to wear for slightly smarter occasions!!). This pair is in stretch polyester/viscose crepe.  

I used Kwik Sew 2960  as my base, view C.


I cut size XS from the hips down, and S for the tummy/waist area. I altered the pattern to make the waist slightly larger.  Then I added an elastic casing, and eliminated the zip.  I also lengthened the pattern by 1/14 inches, and removed a slice of fabric in a dart under the bottom to eliminate some of the back under bottom wrinkling.  This will never entirely be eliminated with my small bottom and thin legs.  

There is not much to report really - so I'll just show you the results:

Front view:

 Back view

 Another back view:
What I am noticing in these is that with this fabric there is very little drag down the back leg - it's hard to see in the photo - the trouble with black!  But you can see in the slightly sideways one, that there is no wrinkling extending out to the legs. So fabric type really makes a difference in the performance of trousers (pants). 

I'm also noting lots of wrinkles in the t-shirt - this is a cheap RTW t-shirt.  The wrinkles occur well above my waistline, so I need to eliminate fabric above the waistline (much like a swayback, but higher - and also you can see the narrow back across the thoracic spine area - so this fabric also needs to be removed).  When I make t-shirts this would not bother me, but for fitted dresses, blouses and jackets, this is useful fitting  information to have.

So this is the series of pants, in order:

Black pants, casual, stretch cotton sateen (two pairs)

Blue pants, casual, stretch cotton sateen

Black and White, casual, stretch cotton sateen

Black pants, dress pants, stretch poly viscose crepe.

Five pairs in total:


I am tired of sewing these pants now - it was getting a little tedious making the same garment over and over again, but at least I have these basics in my wardrobe now, as well as the hot weather, all cotton pants and skirts that I made last year.  Now for a few basic skirts for transitional seasons, and I will have a good base wardrobe that will only need tops to be added.

I will be glad when my disciplined "lets start with the basics"part of my sewing is finished. It's taken a long time to get this far.  I'm looking forward to making slightly more challenging, interesting or  stylish garments.  Or, at the very least,  a different pattern, even if it is a basic again.

And, I'm still making up my mind about Me Made May 2014...

Sarah Liz :)




23 comments:

  1. Those are all very good looking pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful! I love them all! Now, you should take a rest for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana, - I will, I need it :)

      Delete
  3. I admire you! I am still on making muslins... BTW - this black one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think you just have to jump in to the making and hope for the best :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, five pairs of great looking pants. Your dedication to sewing is awe-inspiring! I take weeks to make one garment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wrote what I was going to say!

      Delete
    2. Thank you ladies, only let me assure you, sewing has caught up with me at the moment and I'm having a little breather :)

      Delete
  5. We all need the basics, but don't always get to it. Now you can make some more fun stuff! The black pants look great, but are difficult to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Annette - both about the black, and our reluctance to sometimes sew what we need :)

      Delete
  6. Love them all! And what a great wardrobe base to build outfits around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - and that was the plan :)

      Delete
  7. Great basic pants that fit so well.. I like them all.. but my favorite is the black /white pants..
    Look forward to seeing what you make next.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are rather lovely :). Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I've followed your progress through this project and must say that you've perfected sewing this pattern! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - but close up not so perfect, but near enough :)

      Delete
  9. You have created a great wardrobe of pants that will suit a variety of occasions. Fabric and pants are interesting no matter how well the last pair fit the new fabric will change all of that.

    I have committed to Me Made May but not certain how I will go this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - it almost becomes interesting seeing how each fabric makes up. Good luck with MMM14.

      Delete
  10. The pants look very well fitted and flattering. These basics are essential . I love to experiment with my tops and shirts but wear very basic skirts and pants usually. So perhaps when you get to sewing more tops you can try all new styles and patterns etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine - yes, I think you are right, one can go to town on tops:)

      Delete
  11. You've been so disciplined and made up great basic that will serve you quite well. I wish I had your sewing discipline, Sarah Liz! All so nicely fitting, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea - but I really have to work on the discipline, I can assure you :)

      Delete