Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

To Me Made May or not to Me Made May.

 

To Me Made May or not to Me Made May. That is the question.  I think the problem I am having in making up my mind about whether to take part is not only about whether I have the clothes or not, but about the time it takes to take a photograph every day.

I have made lots of clothes since January 2013 when I started this blog.  Some cotton shirts, a few t's and lots and lots of attempts at making trousers.  I  have quite a few casual trousers now, and a few smart casual. Ditto skirts - quite a few casual skirts and a few smart casual.  I haven't made much work wear yet.  And very few tops and jackets to finish an outfit off.  I was concentrating more on getting my sewing skills back after about a ten year hiatus - and learning new things to boot.  Like sewing with knits and making trousers.

So I am a little reluctant to take part as the photographs will not yet be visually interesting outfits.  I doubt they ever will be - I tend to be very plain and simple.  In winter it tends to be my black or cream turtleneck and one of my basic bottoms - trousers or skirt and tights. 

(Just remembered - I also have a med made coat and polar fleece jacket - I had forgotten about them!!)


So this might be an opportunity to go through my clothes.  I can also work out what I wear, and whether it works for me.  And what I might need.

I won't be able to take pictures some days, so I decided I would only pledge one garment a week, and then do more if I get around to it.  As this is my first Me Made May I want to ease into the process.  I'll probably find it quite fun, once I start. 

I, Sarah Liz of sarahlizsewstyle.blogspot.com address if you have one), sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '14. I endeavour to wear one garment each week and more if I can for the duration of May 2014'


 (Me Made May is faciliated by  sozowhatdoyouknow... )

This allows me scope to change my mind, without me feeling pressured to post every day if I have other life commitments that take priority.

I am afraid I may  have to resort to indoor photos in front of my white screen as I will not always be able to find the time, or have the right weather,to take photographs outside. 

I also thought that after May I will continue to post one Me Made garment a week.

*****

I've been a little low on the SewJo this week - I think it is because I have been tired and needed a bit of a break.  I have found that has done the trick, and I'll be back sewing sometime this week.  this happens sometimes - even with hobbies, sometimes you need some down time to refresh yourself and recharge the mojo.

I haven't stopped stashing though.  What is it about stash - no matter how low the SewJo, the optimism is always there.  I found this absolutely lovely cotton muslin (only it has a little more body than muslin, and a slight twill weave to it):


I've been searching for a lightweight fabric suitable for making two little summer nighties for ages, so really, I had to stash this as soon as I saw it :). 

*****
I have spent some time this week knitting.  Or rather, unknitting.  For some reason, I have made mistake after mistake after mistake with a knitted cardigan jacket I am making.  The last mistake was making two right sides.  The first time I made this mistake I carefully undid it, and carefully redid it, so as not to make the same mistake.  I must have been too careful, because I made the same mistake again.  With much gnashing of teeth, I undid the section again, and redid it.  Then forgot to make the first buttonhole.  Undo an inch again, and make buttonhole.

I'm pleased to report I think I am finally on track:

Finally - two sides of the cardigan.


Now I just have to knit to the lapel area and try to get that right without too much undoing!

That's my news - I think I caught up with your news this morning.  

Have a great week everyone,

Sarah Liz




21 comments:

  1. Im With U On D Photodocu Portion Of Mmm, But Oth3rwise Ok On Wearing At LeasT One Clothing Item Per Day(More The Better). :) U can still Just List (Diarylike) What U Wore On Days U Don't Have Pics For. If They.Were Blogged Project, Link To The Post In Lieu. But, It's Totally Up.to U How To Make Mmm Works FoR U. Bet U Wear Memades Most Days YeaR Round Anyways.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the photos that are tedious. I do think though, it is a good idea to document, because that is all part of the me made thing. Your idea of linking to the post is a good idea though - and on time poor days, or when you look past your best, I think this would work :)

      Delete
  2. Good idea to ease in it. I'm also using it as a chance to review my clothes and what is missing. Just one quick point on MMM, you don't have to take photos everyday. It is all about your handmade items, not a photo challenge. I doubt I will be taking one every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire - yes, you are right - I guess I have seen so many bloggers taking daily photos during MMM that I sort of thought that's what you had to do :)

      Delete
  3. I plan to follow along MMM in a private fashion. I find I wear at least one me made item each day anyway, either a top or a bottom and sometimes both. I shan't be photographing nor posting but I will be doing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea Kathy - I imagine quite a few people will be doing the same.

      Delete
  4. You're right, MMM definitely provides an opportunity to review what you've made and see what works and what doesn't. I'll participate next year, as I'll have enough clothing by then. Good luck with the cardigan, it looks beautiful so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I'll be looking forward to watching your sewing progress this year - and hope you can participate next year.

      Delete
  5. I was on the fence too SarahLiz but I think I'm going to do it!

    I wear something me made nearly daily but the commitment is stopping me! :)

    Agreed on the above re: photos. You don't have to take daily pics, even if you are committing to daily me mades!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Nakisha - it was the commitment thing that was bothering me too, which is why I decided to minimize the demand and take it from there.

      Delete
  6. Sarahliz.
    I love your idea of posting one me made garment a week.. I have lots of me made clothes, but the idea of getting myself photographed every day... Is just too much for me,ha.
    I like your new fabric.. Polka dots is always a winner.
    Happy sewing and knitting.. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess one could always put the clothes on a hanger for MMM, but really, they do look nicer on a body. I also think sometimes when we do our daily activities we can look less than photo ready - that puts me off too :)

      Delete
  7. I loved partcipating in the past because I got such great ideas on different ways to combine mt separates. Have fun SarahLiz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would work well that way - at the moment I don't have enough separates that work for this season, next year though.

      Delete
  8. Having a break at Easter is always a good idea. You've been so busy.
    Participating the way in MMM your way, will be fun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I needed the break, and that is also why my first MMM will be low key - still have things to sort out :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you've made your MMM14 plans 'doable' for you and that's what it's all about, right?! No pressure! I like your idea of continuing to post a Me-Made Garment once a week even after MMM14 is over. Lovely polka dot fabric and oh my goodness, what a time you have had with the cardi. It looks lovely and I can hardly wait to see it when you are done! I have to say, thank you for mentioning the 'unknitting' as well as the 'knitting', as I think I am feeling brave enough to try to knit a cardi too... which will be a first. I've always been frightened of the 'unknitting' part. Hope you are feeling rested and your SewJo has returned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - yes, I thought that for those of us who are still building wardrobes, a Me Made each week would help keep the sewing concept going:). Without a huge pressure. Good luck with knitting - it can be quite relaxing, when it is behaving :)

      Delete
  10. Glad that you joined MMM, it is going to be fun :) Can not wait to see your nighties and cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - the cardigan I hope to finish in a month or so, the nighties will be made for our next summer (so about six months time).

      Delete
  11. I hadn't heard of this MMM thing. Sounds fun! Although I would struggle with the photos also. It's the one thing I am not comfortable with! Good luck Sarah Liz :)x

    ReplyDelete