Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

Gucci Girl I'm not part 1 - A New Skirt : Which is also Garment 4, Week 4, Me Made May 14


Hello everyone,

Finally I manage to take photos of the skirt I finished a week or so ago.  I also wore it today, so I am going to use this as my Me Made May 14 Garment of the Week.

I made this skirt  out of a stretch cotton sateen, the usual from Spotlight.  I do find this fabric has limitations - it does crumple a bit when being worn (you can see that above), and the wrinkles set quite quickly when you sit down across the front and the back.   I originally wanted this as a smart skirt (while I was having my Gucci Girl fantasy moment), but I have settled for casual due to the creep and wrinkle factor in this skirt.  And as a casual skirt, it will be fine.

I used my standard pattern for stretch cotton sateen skirts as I have decided it is not worth the effort to make a tailored skirt in this fabric due to it's wrinkle propensity.  The pattern is   Kwik Sew 3765.


 The length I make is between the short skirt and the mid length skirt shown on the right.

This is what it looks like at the top.  Today's little skirt is exactly the same, but I always wear a top over my mid section, not over a camisole top - that was only worn to show you the skirt.  My mid section is thick, so I skim over it with a top.


And what do I mean by my Gucci Girl fantasy moment?  I found this picture  in my Vogue Collections Magazine, Paris, Fall- Winter 2014.


And, as I had a skirt length piece of fabric,  I sort of thought a nice below the knee pencil skirt would maybe capture some of the essence of this, even though I am Sarah Liz and not a tall exotic, very made up model.

This fantasy was doomed from the start. 

The first thing that happened was that I could not get overlocking thread tone, and I like toning overlocking inside my garments.  So I used three that were a little bright and purchased an embroidery thread that toned, as Spotlight did not have a regular Gutermann sewing thread that toned in stock - they usually do.  It was polyester, I was not silly enough to use rayon, which I know is not strong.


The purple is the thread that will show.  It toned nicely.

I went ahead and made up the skirt.

Then, I noticed that I could snag this overlocking thread easily. I'm not rough, but sometimes things do catch. Then I noticed that it had broken in a few spots.  I thought I would sleep on the matter, and that in the morning, would probably come to terms with it.


(If I pull a serged thread, normally I can wriggle it back into place.  Not this thread, it breaks - so polyester embroidery thread must be weaker than the normal sewing thread).


No such luck.  Decided the next morning that I would have to redo the serging.  Yes, redo.  I had finished all the edges, so this was no small unpick.

I went to Spotlight to get an ordinary thread in a colour that would match maybe a little bit, because I did not have enough (and never did) for the main sewing thread.  Lo, I found Spotlight had now got the colour I wanted in the regular Gutermann sewing  thread.

The next day I went to work.  That evening, after dinner, I had a period of mindfulness, carefully unpicking the serging.  Except I do not care for mindfulness.  It's not quite my thing.



Moments of mindful unpicking

More moments of mindfulness via unpicking.

 So at the end I had a nice bowl of moments of blissful mindfulness:


And a skirt to reserge.

Which I did. 

Still not quite letting go of my Gucci Girl Fantasy I finished the skirt with little touches:


A little bit of ribbon at the back so I can easily tell which is front and back - not being much of a mindful in the moment dresser - I'm always in a bit of a dressing rush.

I also put a hook and eye at the bottom of the back split:

This stops the skirt from splitting along the seam and doing damage if you take too big a step.

Then I did the hem by hand.  Normally I finish the hems of these little skirts with two rows of top stitching, but, no, true to my Gucci fantasy, this had to be a hand hem:

Nice, neat and even.

Then I wore the skirt and washed it.  The hem then did something quite odd.  Obviously, stretch sateen does not like hand hems.  It developed a sort of roll.  You can see it is wanting to start doing that in the photo above.

Well, that did it.  The skirt and the fantasy went in the bin.  Literally.  (I really don't do mindfulness!!). I did wrap the skirt up in it's own plastic bag, so the next day, after yet more sleeping on the matter of this skirt, I retrieved it.  This is after all, also supposed to be my Garment of the Month.

I undid the hem and redid it my usual way.  Much more casual, much more Sarah Liz:


And that's the story of Gucci skirt, Garment of the Month and today's me made garment :)

Sarah Liz.





35 comments:

  1. Yeah - I don't get mindfulness either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it always feels more like mindlessness to me :)

      Delete
  2. The skirt turned out beautiful. I love that color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE! And good to know about choosing thread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarahliz,
    Wow...what a time with this skirt.. When you said, you picked out all those serged seams, I thought ,NO- how horrible.. Then to go through all the trouble of hand hemming and that to mess up.. You are a fantastic seamtress .I would have gave up a long time ago.lol But, you kept on going, and came out with a beautiful skirt.
    Thanks for sharing about the hook and eye on the pleat. I didn't know that.. I will definitely do this on my next pleat..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy- actually, once I started, it wasn't too bad - the idea of it was though :)

      Delete
  5. Yes, there's nothing like working through these situations. You've chosen some beautiful colors for your skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, and you are right!

      Delete
  6. You choose on of my favorite colors! I know it must be frustrating when what is in your head won't manifest itself in what you are making. The whole serger stitching in itself would have had me in tears this week (I think I caught your flare). But the curling after hand stitching the hem! Personally, I love the casual skirt that you created, but I can understand it isn't what you originally intended. It's still looks great on you! I'm so glad you sound like are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely colour - yes, some weeks I feel like crying with sewing, but this time not - just a big sigh and got on with it. I hope you feel better soon as well.

      Delete
  7. You ended up with a lovely skirt. Love the colour and don't envy you all that unpicking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it is a beautiful coloured well made and fitted skirt and that is probably better than a real Gucci skirt !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine - it will be better for me, at least, more practical !

      Delete
  9. You must have the patience of Job.... not to mention perseverance!!! The skirt is gorgeous, hand-hemmed or not, and looks great on you. Clever idea using a hook and eye that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - and believe you me, patience comes and goes with sewing :)

      Delete
  10. Very well done skirt and thanks for the little tips a the end. I promise to use these , especially the ribbon to mark the back and the hook and eye to stop the pleat from ripping. I love to hand sew so I do a lot of hems by hand. I've been trying to perfect my hand stitching skills so they are even. Yours and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. I love handsewing as well - it's 'very relaxing, just time consuming.

      Delete
  11. What committment to this project! It does look quite lovely in the final incarnation, but all that work -- whew. Unpicking all that serging... don't know if I could have done the same!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you - but really, it didn't take that long, the idea was worse than the doing :)

      Delete
  12. I'm thinking about the crease factor. I really hate that in clothes. It reminds me, I bought a gorgeous green and white sateen from Spotlight, it won't do if it creases badly, I wanted to make a dress. One solution is to use a stretch iron on interfacing. I have done this after a garment has been sewn together before, its not as easy but you seem the persevering type!! Maybe give the interfacing a go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that my black sateen trousers were not too bad for creasing. I think when there is a pattern through the fabric it wouldn't show the creases so much. It doesn't crease really badly, but it does crease.I'll remember your interfacing trick.

      Delete
  13. Like the skirt and the color. Great idea using the touch of ribbon to tell the front from the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle - and please borrow the idea :)

      Delete
  14. Marina of Frabjous Couture actually used that Gucci dress as inspiration for a couture remake! Lovely coloured skirt but such an awful lot of unpicking, brrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne - and I must go over and have a look:)

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous skirt. I love the colour. You must be very patient. It was worth it ,it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done for preserving you have ended up with a lovely wearable skirt in a gorgeous colour

    ReplyDelete
  17. Finally after all the issues you had..you constructed a lovely color skirt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete