Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

My Bits and Pieces Skirt


 I have been very impressed with the way some of you use up your scraps - and so was inspired to make my own skirt out of leftover bits of fabric.

The fabric is stretch cotton sateen, and I had two pieces, from different dye-lots.   I decided to seam the skirt at about yoke level, using one piece of fabric for the front and back yoke, and the other piece of fabric for the body of the skirt.  I covered the join with a wide ric rac braid - this will trick the eye into not seeing the different dye-lots when it is worn.  It also hides the seam.  As you can see, the different dye lots would otherwise be quite obvious:



I even managed to match the ric rac perfectly at the seams (and I did trim the thread away later):


The pattern I used was my normal elastic waist skirt pattern that I use for stretch cotton sateen skirts - I just don't find it is worth expending much effort on this fabric.  It's a useful fabric for casual skirts and pants, but not for dressier skirts and pants. The pattern, before I forget, is Kwik Sew 3765:

Kwik Sew 3765



I found it very difficult to get a good picture of this skirt - the light in Newcastle is quite dim - I remember hiring a photographer to take a picture of me in the middle of the morning in summer, and he had his light meter with him - and there was only just enough light then.  My garden also has lots of trees and foliage, so then the sun also has to dodge that!  And then the background is sometimes not inspiring - but, oh well, a garage door is a garage door, and we'll leave it at that!


As you can see, this is a fun skirt with the ric rac braid for wearing around the house and for popping out to the post office and local shops. 

And the back view - I added a button at the top of the back vent split - it goes with the playfulness of the ric rac braid and also serves a very practical function - stopping the seam from splitting if I take an exuberant step.

That's it for now, have a lovely weekend everyone, and wishing you some good sewing time :)

Sarah Liz

23 comments:

  1. Nice work Sarah Liz!! Love the ricrac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative! It turned out so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute skirt and nice touch adding the ric rac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever! What a fun skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely shirt. I'm very impressed by your ric rac matching on the side seams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on your skirt. Love the ric rac

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute skirt . I love that you added the button to the vent.. Great idea. happy sewing and hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice skirt and a clever way to use up some fabric scraps. The ric rac was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice to look at you in this skirt. Black color is very difficult to photograph
    ric rac:) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go on the rick rack join!!!!! I'm impressed.

    Alas, probably no sewing for me this weekend which is a shame 'cause you KNOW I need to be getting started on my Regency day dress; at least cutting the bad girl out, sigh. Visiting with my baby girl awaiting her baby girl it's getting difficult to focus on sewing, giggles. Since I am going to worship in an hour perhaps I shall cut the dress out this evening.

    Cheers,

    Lyric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and no wonder you have no time to sew - but how lovely to be waiting for a new baby - I hope all goes well with Mum and Bub.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sarah Liz, my eyes are almost closing and I made a mistake on writing a comment - so I have to delete it :)
    I just want to say that you did a neat work on matching the ric rac. I love your skirt and it turned out beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you Hana - and I have made mistakes writing as well :)

      Delete