Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

My new PJ Pants...


It was back to the boring basics this week.  Last week I tried to avoid this project and aimed for some instant gratification by  purchasing a RTW pair of PJ pants.  I know, I know, quite sacrilegious. Once home, my sinful RTW purchase revealed itself to be a poor choice:


Aside from the irksome mismatch of stripes - just look at the distorted hang of this rear end.  It was also distorted at the front.

Well, I took these back to the shop, issued a large and long sigh, raided the stash:

And decided to make something.  With zero enthusiasm I have to admit.  This came under the category of needs must sewing, and I really didn't want to have to make them!  AND, I don't like sewing with knits yet.
 I'm sure we all have sewing  moments like this :)

The fabric is not a great fabric - it was something I purchased very cheaply at Spotlight a few years ago - $2.00 a metre.  I think it is a poly cotton - it's quite soft and drapey.  Good for practicing sewing with knits.

I used a pattern with minimal seams - McCalls 6173.


 This is a one piece per leg leggings pattern:


They are supposed to be made out of two way stretch knit, and are supposed to be stretched taut.  I use the large size in one way stretch knit to make pants, not leggings.  I also add one inch at the waist so that they are sitting at my waist - low waisted pants fall down on me.  The added extra also allows sit down room, with only one way stretch this is needed.

I have made this pattern before when I wanted quick and simple polar fleece pants for cold nights: 

find these here...

(Gosh, I was looking tired and stressed there - that was while I was sorting out our two year crisis, with still a lot on my mind).

I also made this pattern up in a stretch cotton sateen - very successfully:

find these here...

But back to today's make:

The goal was some quick and simple PJ pants to solve the cold legs in the morning problem:

Yes, this gets a bit cold and breezy while doing all those morning chores.  This is much better:


And has the added benefit of going with my very shabby chic nightie.  Even they look happier about this new addition to the wardrobe.


I like the loose, relaxed fit as I really don't want to struggle to put these on when I am waking up.  One foot in quickly, then the other, and that's that.  Easy.

And the back doesn't really matter, it's going to be hidden, but as this is a sewing blog, I know you will want to see what they look like from the back as well.  Nice and long, cover the back of the foot a little bit.

I think I cut the wrong length with these, but I decided that was a good idea - the extra length allowed a nice deep hem, and a few slouchy wrinkles flopping around the ankles to keep the breezes out.

Nice deep hems which look quite sporty in real life.

I also put a ribbon loop at the back of the pants so that I could quickly feel which was the front and which was the back without much light to see which way is which:

A nice tactile back finder!

These are far from perfect, but more than adequate for the job.  And really, really comfortable.

And, it only took a few hours from beginning to end to make TWO PAIRS!!
So I'm rather happy with this result.  The mark in the photo above is just water - I was giving the PJ pants a quick press before posting, and the iron 'blobbed' water in this spot :).

The only thing I don't like is the leftovers:


Yes, I know they must have it in factories too - we know all about the RTW that gets thrown out each year, but there is also the wastage.  I usually try and eke something else out of waste, but the shapes of this waste would not allow this - I know, cos I pulled out a few patterns to see whether I could do something with it.  

It was also the wrong shape to put into the basket of bit for making undies one day.  

That's my sewing this week - I can start making plans again now I have these out of the way:)

Wishing you all the best for the week to come...
Sarah Liz






33 comments:

  1. Yay! Fictional sewing may be boring at times but it sure comes in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually quite like sewing my nightwear because it is a great way to use some unfavoured fabric (I hate waste) and because it is so easy I find it a great stress reliever. I can't think what you can do with the pink leftovers. I eventually find a use for my remnants even if it takes several years. Anyway your new pjs look very cosy and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cheery and cosy - and I agree, if not needed instantly, this sort of sewing would be relaxing. I must schedule more :)

      Delete
  3. Win, win, I'd say! I have this pattern and never thought to use it for pj pants (don't know why?) but it makes GREAT pj's. I haven't been able to get in the sewing room all week. Been busy with yard and garden and I MISS sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure you cut them large - I am probably the smallest size but used the largest to give me room, and make them more pants like.

      Delete
  4. Well at least your boring basic is well made. I need pj's too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - and when you want a break from making those tops, you could make some :)

      Delete
  5. I love these!!!!! You look so great in slim-fitting pants, whether they are comfy pants or 'nice' pants. Like you, I also hate to throw out any bits of fabric. It's so bad that I finally sewed a 3-sided 'bag' to catch all my fabric scraps, no matter how teeny-tiny, with the thought that when it's full it will be used as a cat bed for our outside cat's little house for next winter. I've heard some animal shelters use these types of 'beds' too. Could you maybe save these for a T-shirt neckline and sleeve bindings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - and yes, most of my scraps are saved, but these are the wrong pieces for bindings and necklines. What a great use you have found for scraps :)

      Delete
  6. Slim pants do look well on you ! I hear you about the necessity sewing. For me its Home DEc. I don't love it at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I agree, Home Dec sewing is also tedious.

      Delete
  7. You have been busy! I agree with Lisa, you look great in slim fitting trousers. Loving that oink colour soooo much :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, this is a "Dawn"sort of pink :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad you were able to get this pattern to work for you. I had a waiat that I could pull to mh armpits and were super baggy. I also tried the view forbpants that have a zipper. This was too low in the waist.
    I have a bag that I put my serger scraps to use for stuffing. I hate all of the waste in sewing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very high rise (I'm very short waisted so I have to have a high rise!). Funny that the same pattern was so different when you tried the different versions - could it have been the different stretch factors?

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you were able to get this pattern to work for you. I had a waiat that I could pull to mh armpits and were super baggy. I also tried the view forbpants that have a zipper. This was too low in the waist.
    I have a bag that I put my serger scraps to use for stuffing. I hate all of the waste in sewing too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely leggings, perfect as they fulfil their function with masses of pink style.

    As for the leftovers - overlock the edges and piece them into cleaning cloths. The sticking out seams are really good on floor dusting cloths for your Enjo equivalent sweeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and they do. What a great idea about the scraps - which has led me to think of one or two more of my own :)

      Delete
  11. I need to sew pj's too, for me and the whole family (my husband and son)
    I love the pink color and your pj's pants is so lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your PJ pants will brighten your cold chore filled mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad your PJ pants worked out so well. Functional and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - and what better mix could you have :)

      Delete
  14. Pink PJ pants, very cheery for a chilly morning. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - and the cheer was what I wanted :)

      Delete
  15. I think these are just 'the best' PJ pants ever ~ you just can't find anything at a reasonable price in the shops, and at least the chilly mornings are a thing of the past for you now ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or a reasonable shape!! Yes, I'm pleased to say goodbye to the chilly breezes :)

      Delete
  16. These PJs look great! You can probably wear them out to do grocery shopping too with a longer top. You look great in bright colours and prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you . I've got to put some more colour into my wardrobe, so thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete
  17. Use your scraps for collars, sleeves, facings,etc. it's always more interesting to use multiple fabrics in a design. As long as the color palate is cohesive, it's a great use. Try it.

    ReplyDelete