Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sunday Chat Time again..


Thank you everyone for your recent well wishes - flares come and go with me every so often, and this one is now going - which suits me :)

So I have been organising my sewing projects today.  I have cut out a stretch cotton sateen skirt in a grey colour - I have decided I don't really like this stretch cotton sateen as it wrinkles so easily (more than ordinary cotton or linen- or maybe that's just the cotton sateen available at Spotlight)  I just want to get it out of the stash and used! 

While I am working on the skirt, I will also start work on a trouser muslin.  The pattern I am going to trial is Burda 6982:



 This is a classic straight leg pant, with a waistband that seems to sit very close to the waist.  I haven't had much to do with Burda patterns, so I thought I would try this pants pattern.  I understand the cut is different to that of the big 4.  Certainly the measurements indicate so with a slightly larger waist to hip ratio. Which is what I need.  So I shall soon see whether these work better for me than some of the other patterns I trialled during last years tedious trouser muslin learning curve :).

By the way, this trouser pattern has not been reviewed on PR - so no helpful hints about the good and bad points of this pattern.  No pictures either - I find pictures of garments made by real sewers very informative about how the pattern actually looks when made up. 

And Anne, if you are reading, Accordion left a reply for you on yesterday's comments about putting elastic in the back of a trouser waistband.  This is what she said:

 Accordion3: May 18, 2014 at 5:30 AM

I use the waistband to hold the elastic, anchoring the elastic to the waistband proper. The size of the elastic bit varies according to the waistband. I've used 2.5 cm elastic mostly, but have used 1.5cm elastic for a narrow waistband. 2cm elastic is good for retro-fitting jeans.
The length of the elastic bit also varies, but equates roughly to a third of my back waist length. I find placing the elastic on the middle back means I don't have to worry about side curves and it just hold better.

Hope that helps.


Thanks Accordion!

So that is this week's sewing organised (the next few weeks, really).  I'll also post the two skirts I have made that are sitting waiting patiently to be blogged about.  And I need to do another me made day for me made May.  And tell you about my personal style consultation - I had a feeling I was dressing "not me" so I was quite surprised to find out that was so!! 

Wishing you all the best for your week to come - and your sewing week to come:)

Sarah Liz :)





14 comments:

  1. Thanks Sarah Liz and Accordion. I'm looking forward to reading about your personal style consultation, Sarah Liz, to see if it is a worthwhile exercise. I had my colours done about 30 years ago, in a group, and was very happy with the results, though it was then difficult to buy things in the correct shades. My hair is grey now (my children used to refer to it as 'disco silver') and I wonder what difference I would find - and Colour Me Beautiful has expanded its categories. I certainly feel that I need more intense shades rather than dusky pastels. My lifestyle has changed too, from professional to retired bridge-playing golfer, so an external view of personal style could be fascinating. I didn't read about your unsatisfactory trouser muslin exercises, will see if I can find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - I dare say we will all have quite a discussion about style after this post :)

      Delete
  2. Errr, I have yet to make a good pair of trousers that fit. I am going to try Style Arc but will hear what you have to say at Burda. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fitting trousers is quite an exercise - making them is the easy part :) Good luck with the Style Arc pants.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sarah Liz, I am glad that you are feeling better and back to sewing :) I saw your MMM outfits on your previous post and I like them. Both are perfect for you, look very nice and comfortable at the same time.
    Can not wait to see your finished skirt and good luck on the muslin. I am also working on Burda trouser and I had done the muslin on last Friday. I am planning to cut the real fabric tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - and I equally wish you luck with your Burda pants :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Sarah Liz, I've had an enjoyable read through some of your previous posts. First up...I'm happy to read that your inflammation is receding; I hope you are feeling better! Second...PANTS! I see you are also looking for that holy grail that is properly fitted pants, LOL. With my most recent pair, I was patient and altered them a couple of times, each time getting narrower in the side seams. It's funny, when I see them on me on my blog, they don't even look that skinny, so depending on the fabric used I may slim them down even more. Thanks for tip on stretch sateen cotton. I will watch for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, lovely to meet you and I enjoy your blog as well (now that I have found it :).

      Yes, pants legs are certainly infinitely variable - I guess, though, it is easier to take them in that to add fabric already cut away :)

      Delete
  5. I'm interested to see what you think of the Burda pattern, as I've not sewn a Burda paper pattern yet. Look forward to hearing about your personal style consultation!!!! Glad you are on the mend and feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be interesting to see how they differ:)

      As I said to Anne, I think we will all have a good chat about personal style and colour soon.

      Delete
  6. I am sorry to hear you have been "under the weather". Glad you are feeling better and able to get some sewing in. Look forward to seeing your new pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda for your kind thoughts :)

      Delete
  7. Now you have got me very interested to hear about your style consultation! Your sewing plans sound very productive and pants are going to be on my list but not until after my sewing weekend coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have me curious about your sewing weekend :)

      As I have said to Anne and Lisa, I think we will be having quite a chat about personal style matters soon.

      Delete