Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Lull before the Sewing Storm.

I don't know about you, but I like to start sewing for the coming season well ahead.  If I start to sew at the beginning of the season, I find the season is over before I have an outfit complete.  It's okay if I am making simple little separates to add during a season, but not for planned outfits of the SWAP or 6PAC sort.  For that you need to plan and allow time to complete the sets.

Winter (I live in Australia) officially starts tomorrow, so it is a bit late to start a winter wardrobe plan.  And in any case, at the moment there is little sign we are actually going to get much of a winter where I live.  So it is too late to start a plan for winter now.

Instead, I am thinking about a Spring plan - with perhaps the first outfit being able to be worn on warmer days in winter.

I am thinking about a pants suit.  .  I am thinking about using this pattern, Burda 6985.

Now, the pattern says that it is an advanced sewers pattern.  I'm not going to let that put me off, although I still struggle with trouser fit, and it is years since I have made a jacket.

This is the line drawing:

I think I will make the shorter jacket, although I really like the longer jacket as well.  Sometimes I have trouble making up my mind!  Overall, I think the long jacket looks a bit boyish, and that is the look I am trying to move away from.  It might make a nice winter coat jacket instead.  What do you think?

I think I am starting to understand how pants work on me now, so I am much more confident about making the pants.  The slim cut should also suit me.

Do you think this little pantsuit would suit me?  And what jacket length do you think would be best - the short as well?  I am petite, so usually petites need shorter jackets.

I plan to use some fabric from my stash.  I really do need to use the stash so I can buy more in colours that are better suited to my colouring :)

This is what I am thinking about using:


It is a poly viscose mix, black and off white, with slight flecks.  I thought it was a little less heavy than black for a spring pantsuit - still formal, but less so.  Although black is not in my colour palette, this flecked tweedy look is slightly less black, and would look lovely with an off white top or blouse - which would suit me, as winter white is my white.  Plus I could mix and match this fabric if made into a suit, with my endless array of black everything. Including shoes.  I am not going to be able to change everything overnight - and it would be far too expensive and exhausting to do so!  I am not a lover of shopping, except fabric and pattern shopping, which is not really shopping at all, in my book - what about you?

Of course, I will have to make a tedious muslin for this suit, and I am also going to have lots to do with the end of financial year creeping up, and an intensive trip away for a couple of weeks in July.  So I need simple things for now, just to keep the mojo around :)

I have started a little skirt, my usual elastic waist skirt - using up a piece of fabric from the stash.

The picture  makes the fabric look dark, in real life it's a sort of Armani pewter/grey shade.  Right in my colour palette, so I thought this would be a good "first" in my new wardrobe.

I also am toying with the idea of making up a piece of faux snakeskin.  I did have plans to make up a piece of black faux snakeskin:



When I held it up, I convinced myself it didn't look too bad.  When I cut it out, it looked awful - sort of cheap rock chick, and that is not the look I want.  I have put the pieces aside to make a bag out of one day :).

So, I might make this piece up instead - it's a much better quality than the black faux (which was cheap). This one was twice the price:


And although it is brown, it is a cool brown, so I could get away with it.  I've never worn anything like this, and I think it would be fun to have something made out of this.  But I may change my mind, and make it into a bag as well!

And I have a cardigan to mend.  A darn nuisance moth hole.  Not sure how I will tackle this so it looks good, but I'm thinking of a little lace overlay. 

So those are the plans, and with plans the lull will soon be over...

Sarah Liz




31 comments:

  1. Love your Spring plans ~ that is just such a sensible idea to plan ahead! Might join you. Your snake skin would look great as an accent on a skirt ~ I have seen it as a lovely piece down the side, and as a trim on pockets ... I am curious as to where you purchased these 2 pieces of faux skin, as they look great ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Judith, planning is the only way I will ever do anything - without a plan, nothing happesn with me. You are right about the snakeskin, and I probably will use it as an accent - there is enough for that plus the bag. I got the faux from Spotlight, the black is cheap and quite plastic looking, the brown a much better quality and more expensive.

      Delete
  2. I reckon the skin fabric would make a superb set of arms on the jacket. And it sounds like a lot sewing going on for you soon. Do you have enough chocolate & adult rated drinks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I like to make plans too. My sewing ones mostly don't happen as hoped for. Which reflects the plans I make in the rest of my life....

    Wishing you all the best for the jacket & pants. Hoping it is challenging & enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, the idea of trims and blocks is a good idea. Chocolate is always hidden in the sewing room, it's my secret stash :). And I am looking forward to the challenge of this suit.

      Delete
  4. Nice plans, love the look of that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fashion industry sews and markets ahead too so you are so on the right tract Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faye, tends to be why I stash as well. I buy one year usually to make the next (or the next decade!!).

      Delete
  6. I think the suit with the shorter length jacket would look great on you.

    I agree with accordion3 as well that the snake skin fabric would look good as jacket sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, I agree with you and accordion3 about the length.

      Delete
  7. I like the look of the suit probably with short jacket as you are petite. But are you sure you want to put all that effort into something that is not your colour? Unless you're thinking of a wearable toile? Would you wear it? Would you love it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, shorter it will be :). Yes, I am prepared to go to the effort - and practice making the suit with this, and then next year, make it up in a fabric for winter in my colours - I have ordered a piece of nice grey. Always a plan :)

      Delete
  8. Great pants suit.. I think the shorter version of the jacket . Great fabric choice too..
    Love your idea of sewing before the season arrives.. Always nice to have a garment finished, so you have something new when the weather changes.
    Have a great weekend. and Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - short seems to be the consensus:). Yes, having things ready for the new season is always good :). Happy sewing :)

      Delete
  9. I wish fulfillment of plans .....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of good plans underway Sarah Liz. I think the shorter jacket looks more appealing, but it is really a matter of proportion, and I like your fabric choice too. The snakeskin will make a very elegant skirt - which is the direction you are going these days! I make lots of seasonal plans for sewing and never finish them. Still trying to do some end of summer, one winter item and I'll move onto Spring too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about proportions - I'll check these when doing the muslin. I agree about the snakeskin.

      Best of luck with finishing your summer sewing and starting your winter sewing :)

      Delete
  11. The greyish snakeskin is marvelous -- subtle yet edgy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great idea to make a plan. I do that to a degree but will sometimes go off on a tangent. think that pantsuit would suit you very well. I do so encourage you to make a jacket. They are my favorite things to make and really not that difficult if you take them one step at a time. That is what I tell my sewing students ..to regard them as a series of steps that in the end become a very satisfying garment. Good luck Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think many of use have plans like that :). I am looking forward to making a jacket - and I will certainly take it one step at a time, thanks Diana.

      Delete
  13. I applaud you for planning ahead. I think these could be worked into your winter as well. I prefer the shorter jacket on you, especially with slimmer pants. As for the fabric, I love each of them. I think I would have trouble deciding for myself because I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Annette, they could be worn through our winter as well - which is why the appeal. I agree, it is hard to decide sometimes between fabrics - so stash them all, I say :)

      Delete
  14. I'm with Anne. This suit can be the backbone of your elegant euro chic business wardrobe so why not start with a stunning fabric in the perfect colour? This will be a lot of work and I think this justifies a trip to the fabric store! If you're serious about building a new wardrobe 'this will do for now' is keeping you from reaching your goals. I love the pattern for the suit, maybe make a three piece by adding a pencil skirt? O, and I do own some of that snakeskin fabric. Cheap rock chick? Oops! Maybe I have to reconsider :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the idea of it being a backbone, but first I think I will practice on this one first - it's always a good idea to work out all the problems first. Our local store has not much in my colours - that is always the problem, but I have ordered some grey wool for next winter. This pattern will be tested by then. In the meantime I can put off white with this.

      Delete