Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Look ....Holes in my good knit top...


I have a nice little twin set, made out of merino wool, that I have never worn because it was "too good" and was being "saved" for the right sort of occasion. Well, this was not a good idea, because either the fabric has degraded (textiles do decompose over time ) or a moth (or something else) had a meal.  I think it was degradation, because the top had two holes, and the cardigan had an area that was thinning and doing "something" but did not seem to be eaten.  I also store my woolens in a highly toxic environment of moth/insect repellents ( probably not very environmental, but then, I only tolerate so much nature eating my clothes)  and none of my newer woollies had any sign of a problem.

I was a little miffed, as you can understand.  I decided that somehow I was going to salvage these garments and then wear them a lot.  I shall also wear anything else deemed "too good to wear"before it suffers the same fate!!

I decided a piece of lace would do the trick.  First I applied a knit interfacing to the area with holes and then darned over the top of the holes to keep things together:

Front of darn

Back of darn

Then I attached a piece of wide stretch lace to each side, anchoring it at the side seams and then around the edges:



 Although the holes were only one side of the garment, I thought the top would look more as if this is what it is supposed to look like, with a symmetrical approach:

And for the cardigan, although I had no holes, I still reinforced the back with knit interfacing in the weak area.  I did this because I was going to apply a piece of lace, and needed something to stitch into.

I chose a lace with a nice large pattern and some flowers either side:



I cut out a shape that included the central flower and a few of the small flowers and applied:

So now I have a designer applique on the back of the cardigan:



So now I have a designer twinset!!  Good enough to proudly wear - and I am going to, before something else happens to it :)

Sarah Liz





18 comments:

  1. Smart thinking! Now you MUST wear these regularly ... J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great save, Sarah Liz. I have been known to embroider little daisies over tiny holes or stains I can't remove! The lace idea is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey way to save the day. I have a pair of paints that are ripped but in the worst place ever. I want to save them, because I love them, not sure, hmmmmm I think you have given me an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic.. How smart and creative you are.. Hope you get lots of wear from it,
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great save SarahLiz. Very inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always find it funny that I spend the most amount of money on clothes I wear seldom and the least amount on things like basic t-shirts (kmart finest at 6-8 dollars each) that I wear every day. If I think about it, it should be the other way around, but I am reluctant to pay more for t-shirts as I am not sure that more expensive t-shirts are actually better quality or from better backgrounds (i.e. not produced in sweatshops in Bangladesh).

    I am a firm believer that if you have 'good china' you should eat of it every day, but since I don't have any (our regular china used to be the good china of my mother-in-laws before she upgraded to Spode) I can't really practice that. I do however have very expensive shoes (an impulse buy) that I have had for 15 years and wore 3 times and every time I look at the matching handbag I feel guilty.

    I guess sometimes I hoard good things (clothes, fabric, yarn) for fear that I will never be able to get something like this again, yet I am not actually actively enjoying it, wearing it, using it now and as you say natural fibres do degrade with time. Perhaps it would be a good birthday resolution to enjoy what I have now, because you never know what is around the corner.

    Sorry for waffling on and on, but thank you for posting your 'save', because I would have never thought of it, but it is such a good solution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you were able to save this, and fantastic save!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic save and agree that we all should wear our good clothes all the time (well maybe not gardening).

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have helped me save my favorite jacket that developed a 1 inch rip in the very loose weave decorative yoke. Lace would not fit in with the jacket's style and fabrics, but I will look for something that will. Thank you for showing the details about the interfacing and darning. That was the part of the repair that I was most uncertain how to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to save your outfit and I love how it turned out. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very clever idea to save your top :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah Liz, I have just nominated you for a Liebster Award, go here to find out more:
    http://www.susansewsdaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete