Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2014

My new leatherette skirt...


 

Never ever ever ever was Sarah Liz going to make a faux false leather anything.  Ever.  At All.

Until now, that is.  I happened to see this faux leather in Spotlight, and it was 40 % off, which made it only about $12.00 for fabric, plus thread and zip.  I loved the colour and decided to buy it.

I decided to use a straight skirt pattern I have used before:

This is a basic straight skirt, front and back darts with a  godet at the hem at the rear of the skirt.  I did not use that, instead extending this part of the CB seam into a kick pleat.

As this fabric cannot be ironed (it's sort of PU sprayed onto polyester jersey) as it would melt, I had to decide how to flatten the seams.  I decided on to fold the seam over (like a flat fell, one seam trimmed back, and the other folded over, but not pressed under), and then top stitch it.

I inserted an invisible zip, and also finished below that with the same seam method.

For the waistband, I thought this fabric would not take the strain of a skirt hook, so for the inside waistband I used a firm interfaced cotton drill.  I also used a bit of elastic as both my waist varies, and so do the amount of layers I might wear with the skirt.  They add bulk too.

I overlocked the seams - the fabric was not going to unravel, so I could have skipped this step, but it just looks more finished inside.

I used a ball point needle to make this skirt - I wasn't sure what to use, but it did sew up very nicely.

Now for the construction pictures (I'm sort of proud of how this skirt worked, but I have to admit I did put in quite a bit of effort too!):

Back with invisible zip:



The folded and flipped seam below the invisible zip:
Inside

Outside

The folded and flip

Inside

Outside

Details of the kick pleat - I used binding on the inner pleat as this was less bulky than doing a narrow hem on this fabric:


And the finished entire length of the back:

And the waistband:

And the waistband fasteners:

 And how do you press the hem of a fabric that can't be finger pressed flat and can't be ironed.  Use  a heavy weight - I used a phone book:


And now, the pictures of me in the skirt:



Normally I tend to wear tops out over my waistline, as I am a rectangular shape and can look a bit like a block, albeit a thinnish one.

 So this is what the skirt looks like with a longer line top over it:


So there we are, my never say never faux leather skirt.  I love it :)

Do have a lovely weekend everyone, wherever you are...

Sarah Liz




58 comments:

  1. I love this post! Your skirt is fantastic, and beautifully sewn. I have been wondering about sewing with these faux leathers. What kind of machine needle do you use? Good tip about the phone book. I am trying to get up the courage to tackle my fake fur from Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a ballpoint needle - I wasn't sure what to use. I found the fabric easy to sew through, but I do have a semi industrial (dry bed) machine. I also found it easy enough to use an ordinary needle to attach the fasteners. I've edited the post to add the bit about the needle :)

      I've never worked with fake fur - it looks as though it would get caught in everything.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome Sarah! It's a good thing you keep challenging yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great work on the skirt. It's always good to try a new thing. You look so lovely and thank you for the tips :-)
    Have a lovely weekend to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a very nice skirt. I love the pattern of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is excellent! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Cute. Great wardrobe addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on that skirt, Sarah. Thanks for all the information on the process. You look like you're enjoying the edginess of the look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very neat and so professionally sewn. It looks absolutely great, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your skirt! It is very flattering fit on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute !!!
    (a walk on the wild side...)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really great skirt. And thanks for the tip on sewing it...particularly the phone book and binding. Never thought of this when I last sewed with faux leather and it was painful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I guess I need to step outside of the box. Your skirt is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha. Never say never! Great skirt and always in-style!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is great! Looks very styling :) I really like the seam finishes, they're really nice. I've never sewn with faux leather, good to see how you made it all work, for a great end product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I try and share info when I have some that might be useful :)

      Delete
  15. Sarahliz. this is gorgeous.. You really do an excellent job with your fitting and sewing..
    And you just proved how smart you are.. [by using a phone book to flatten the hem.] Such a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - yes, I get quite inventive when I need to :)

      Delete
  16. Another step outside the sewing comfort zone ~ with an awesome skirt as the result! Well done, I think it looks brilliant ... J

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. I'm a bit no fake stuff too but your skirt is fabulous. I like how you did the seams and boy isn't your invisible zip perfect. Looks fantastic so no wonder you are pleased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -It's surprisingly great to wear - I've change my mind about no fake - it has it's uses :).

      Delete
  18. So glad you went for it! Very cute skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. IT turned out so gorgeous!! It looks luxurious and you look like a natural at wearing leather snakeskin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent! And thank you for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So professionally done. And I love the pattern on the fabric :)x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your skirt turned out great. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great skirt. Love the phone book iron. Very nice "fabric".

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your skirt. I think it looks fabulous on you!!! And the phone book pressing weight is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic skirt and great tips for dealing with this fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look absolutely fantastic!!!! Love the skirt!!!! So glad you changed your mind about 'never'! :) I really enjoyed reading your construction details as I've got a piece of faux leather that's been looking at me for about a year now waiting to be made into 'something'. You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - look forward to seeing what you make one day :)

      Delete
  27. Your skirt looks fantastic. I like it with the top "out" too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I prefer to wear tops "out".

      Delete
  28. Love this. What a great idea to use faux leather!

    ReplyDelete