Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

Not all Knitting is Meant to Be...

Well, I tried my hardest with this variegated wool. It's a four ply:


And the first jumper I started making with it I absolutely disliked intensely.   It was far too variegated for me.  So then I wound two balls of four ply together to make an eight ply wool:

And after much rummaging through knitting books, decided to make this cardigan blazer:

Which I though was quite nice.  It came from this book:

Which assures us all that KNITTING IS FUN.

Well, I did the tension square, knitted the back, and found I had forgotten to change the needles after the band. (For you none knitters out there, you use a smaller size needle for the bands).  So I undid it all again:

Well, I finally had a nice looking back piece:

Knitted the first front - lots of counting with the turn back lapel.  Lots on my mind as well with the recent practice move - still a little unsettled from that. And lots on my mind with things yet to come that have to be dealt with soon.  I knew it would be tricky getting the other side to match, especially as I often try and knit a few rows late at night when I am tired and really not concentrating. 

So you can guess what happened.

The second front did not match the first.

By now I was thoroughly fed up with trying to make something out of this wool.  I also knew that my concentration was not going to improve much for knitting over the next few months.  So, I decided that I would concede defeat on this project - for the time being.

YES, THAT'S RIGHT, SARAH LIZ CONCEDED DEFEAT!! and I am back to a few balls of this again:






And wondering whether Knitting really is Fun.

*****


I have been mulling over what to knit next.  I cannot get inspired by my stash of knitting wool and cotton.  It is a bit late to start a winter garment, and the only colours I have in my summer cottons are , guess what, black.  And navy.  And I really don't want to knit either of those colours at the moment.

So, after work today, to reward myself for dealing with a problem I have been trying to avoid with the accounting system, and feeling very virtuous, AND, doing the supermarket raid, which I absolutely detest doing,  I splurged on this 8 ply Acrylic/Cotton mix.


Spotlight is having a sale at the moment, so I sort of feel that this was just the right thing to do!

While Acrylic/Cotton is not my favourite mix, it does have a nice feel to it, and with the mild weather here will be lovely to wear as a casual knit in spring or autumn next year.

I thought this lovely blue (which is a bit more denim in reality, and the colour is named denim), would work nicely with all the black and navy garments I have in my wardrobe, and give them a bit of a colour lift. Which is needed - and I guess that is why I just didn't have any enthusiasm for knitting black or navy to go with them.

Well, this works with the SWAP and 6Pak concept - this cardigan, when it is made, will work with plenty:).

Now, I must remember that Knitting really is Fun, and go and find a pattern next.    Something really simple, I'm going to have plenty to think about for the next few months, so knitting will have to be something to really relax and unwind with. 

Have a lovely weekend everyone, wherever you are.

Sarah Liz

23 comments:

  1. Oh no! It was looking so pretty. Ah well. The blue is nice and bright and should be FUN to work with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your frustration what a shame because it was looking good. The blue might be just the pick me up you need - bright, fun and summery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy, yes, these things are frustrating and I am hoping the blue is a pick me up :)

      Delete
  3. I hope you enjoy knitting with the blue. When I was 'on call' as a junior doctor and living in the hospital but not actually working, I enjoyed knitting with variegated yarn on chunky needles, which knitted up quickly but could be put down when needed and then picked up again, and plain arran wool in patterned arran knits, which I could give as presents - these needed more of the brain to be engaged! Sorry you were frustrated, perhaps this change will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pick up and put down knitting is a good idea for those situations - and yes, I think this cardigan will be just the thing :)

      Delete
  4. The blue is beautiful, [proud you rewarded yourself with the new yarn]. Hope it brings back the fun of knitting for you..

    ReplyDelete
  5. My empathies, I don't find knitting fun. Nor do I get the appeal of cutting up (perfectly acceptable) fabric, then stitching it together to make more fabric.

    Ah well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, big fabric to pieces of small fabric - I'm familiar with that too :)

      Delete
  6. The blue denim wool is pretty and I will be a great addition to your wardrobe. I hear your frustration with the more complicated jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been doing crochet in a similar way, for some mind-emptying relaxation. Followed by some unravelling when I zoned out so much I lost an armhole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear - yes, even simple things need a modicum of concentration :)

      Delete
  8. I have some blue variegated yarn which I opted to use for a pair of socks. Never knitted socks before. I got one done and that's where it's at! I think your grey variegated blazer would have been great, but if it's not working then you'll never like it. I'm sure you'll have a better time with the blue, which is a very pretty colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are braver than me, attempting socks! Thank you for your commiserations :)

      Delete
  9. I struggle with variegated yarn all the time (the fact that none of it got finished and put on the blog pretty much speaks for itself I suppose), the last 5 balls I gave to the local kindergarten for some craft project. I have several rtw cardies made from that type of yarn, but on close inspection there is much less contrast between the colours, so maybe it is heathered rather then variegated ... hmmm.

    I keep telling myself all the time that it is the process that counts rather then the result, both with sewing and with knitting (and crocheting). Good luck with the cardie :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think variegated wools are a bit "love it or hate it" types of things. I try to think process too, but I do like a product at the end as well.

      Thank you for your good wishes :)

      Delete
  10. I struggle with variegated yarn all the time (the fact that none of it got finished and put on the blog pretty much speaks for itself I suppose), the last 5 balls I gave to the local kindergarten for some craft project. I have several rtw cardies made from that type of yarn, but on close inspection there is much less contrast between the colours, so maybe it is heathered rather then variegated ... hmmm.

    I keep telling myself all the time that it is the process that counts rather then the result, both with sewing and with knitting (and crocheting). Good luck with the cardie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knitting! You are a brave -- I keep wanting to try it but haven't found the motivation or time. I guess my Singer machine keeps calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knitting is easy enough, but if you have lots of things to count, you need time to concentrate - that was the problem:). Do try one day, just something small and simple - maybe in a winter semester break :)

      Delete
  12. I hear you! I can do basic knitting and crocheting but I don't bother with them. It just seems too slow a process and I can't judge the sizing as well. Perhaps it's just because I'm too much of a beginner knitter......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is slow, and sometimes you finish the whole garment, it takes you a year, and then you find it is far too big or small!

      Delete