Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Summer, I'm ready and waiting with New Trousers


 

Well, here in Australia it is mid winter, but I'm sewing ahead, and these are my new lightweight chambray typs pants. I use the pants  from Burda 6985.    I originally thought I would use this pattern to make dressy trousers with.   I liked the style on the pattern, but as you know, what looks good in pictures does not always translate into such a good look when sewn:

Now, as you can see, these pants look really slim through the leg on the model, but less so on me.  Now, my legs are about the same width as the models legs are, so why are mine baggy and hers not???  I suspect some tweaking with the pattern to get the slim look.  Of course, most people don't have stick thin legs, so I suspect on many people the fit is slim.

I was also worried about the pockets, which seemed to be quite a large opening - I thought they would have a tendency to gape, and with the fabric I was planning to use for this suit:

 
 Not the look I would want!!  No, this fabric is softish, and baggy pockets would just bag.

I have made this trouser up as a wearable muslin, out of tablecloth damask:

 

 I made these quite short as the fabric ran out, but I knew the pant had potential.  I wanted to make them in a lighter weight material to have a closer look at how they might perform in the suiting fabric.  If you want to read about the fitting of the tablecloth trousers, do visit here.

The fabric is a very lightweight cotton - a sort of dressy chambray.  I got it some years ago from Spotlight.

As these are casual pants, I have made the waistband just a little larger than it needs to be - and then put a bit of elastic in the back section - only for a few inches. This helps to hold the pants up - I am so slim around the hips and bottom garments tend to slide down.  It also allows for lots of movement, which I find essential in casual garments.

The photo's next - I am wearing a little thermal top, so excuse the look - I want to see what is going on, and like to show you too.  In due course, I will reblog the pants with proper attention to style.  But for now, it's about the pattern and the sewing.

First, the dreaded rear photos.  I'll get them over and done with :)  ----



Baggy under the bottom
Okay, so in future I will need to pinch out quite a bit.
 But not so bad when moving - rear fits nicely, and wrinkles sort of not so obvious

 And you do need to be able to bend and move.
So next time, I'll have to remove a bit, but not too much, or I might not be able to move!

Now the front - a lot less challenging than showing the rear!  ---

 Nice and roomy to move in, but much fuller than the pattern picture!

 Lovely deep pockets, but with a tendency to gape

But with all that roominess easy to move in

And sit in!

So overall, I am very pleased with this pair of pants - which will be worn a lot when our summer finally arrives.  Just the thing I have been looking for the  supermarket and general chore run - with a nice white tee or shirt, these will work nicely.  Maybe not quite the new, elegant look yet, more a reversion to my old girl next door look, but so what, these work!

And will be worn!

I'm not sure I want to make up the suit material in this style, but I do think it would work for a pair of classic black pants, the ones I have been putting off making for months and months - and will put off making until next year.  I do like the fact I can move in these, they don't restrict movement at all, and that is a plus with me.  When I make them next, I'll tweak the back leg a bit, and then I think will have a 

Until next time, do take care everyone,

Sarah Liz.















32 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, these are very nice pants, Sarah Liz, and they belong to the elegant look. Try the white shirt and add a scarf knotted at the neck, picking up the colour of the pants perhaps. Or a black or navy blazer: v. chic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're so nice! I love the slightly loose fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nakisha - yes, I love loose, especially for the really hot weather - who wants clothes that stick to the body then? Also, loose equals able to move easily :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh - are these the perfect pair? A TNT pants pattern?

    Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to think they may be...

      Delete
  5. Nice idea to take the pictures of you moving because that shows the true nature of the fit. How many times do we actually stand still, all straight and tall. The real success of a garment's fit is how it acts and feels when we walk or sit or bend. That's a lesson to be followed as we sew a garment, trying it on before it's finished to check the fit. Gotta move around a little!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Barbara. Especially the seated one! I wish I had skinny legs to hide! Nice look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and don't we all wish we had a different figure from the one we are blessed with?? :)

      Delete
  7. I admire your tenacity. I get a little impatient with pants fitting. I try not to obssess too much on wrinkles and creases but, as my sewing class have asked for pant making in the fall. I'll have to get more serious about that. I intend to take Katherine Cheetham's Craftsy class on fitting the lower body

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that making and fitting pants is not my favorite thing - sometimes I have to make myself do it. Good luck with your class in fall.

      Delete
  8. These are very nice. I really need to try Burda patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I think you will like Burda patterns, they are very stylish.

      Delete
  9. Love both pair of your pants. The table cloth white ones are great for summer pedal pushers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I like them now they are finished - never too sure half way through :)

      Delete
  10. Very nice, I think what makes the pants in the picture look more "dressy" is the fact that it is part of a suit.The matching jacket gives it much more of a business look. I think if you do your alterations to slim the leg and then make a matching jacket - it would make a lovely suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay - and yes, I agree, fabric and a jacket would make the world of difference to the look. If the trousers were taken in, I would need a stretch fabric I think. I am planning a suit in time, using this pattern.

      Delete
  11. Really like your pants... and I love the movement that you can do in them..so important..
    Love the blue fabric.. You will be able to dress them up or down, depending on the need
    The legs are a little bigger than the models,but honestly they look better to me..
    You do such a great job on fitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - yes, I think the pants the model is wearing have been overfitted - too skinny doesn't always look good, and certainly in a woven, would not work, you couldn't bend the knees.

      Delete
  12. I like the comfort fit of your trousers and was interested to see you had added elastic to the back. This is something my mum has done to many of her trousers whether homemade or RTW to improve the fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy - yes at first I used to hate to admit I added elastic, but now I think it is just sensible. No-one sees the back in any case.

      Delete
  13. Pants! It is amazing that such a simple thing to sew is such a pain in the rear to fit. I just purchased the Jacole Skinny pant pattern and I am sewing up a muslin today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love your pants, you have done it nicely. I hope you will wear it a lot during summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are the trouser Queen! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pants, they just add frustration to a sewers life. These sound like they are what you are looking for and the blue fabric looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , and I agree, they are not even interesting to make..I get quite bored, but frustration or not, they are also essentials in the wardrobe.

      Delete
  17. Yes, how a pants feel when 'moving' and 'sitting' is the true test of a pair of pants?! Love the color and sounds like you'll get a lot of wear out of them. I think they look great!

    ReplyDelete