Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2014

My News and New Sewing Plans...

Hello everyone,

I'm away at the moment, and have scheduled this post.  I've taken my tablet (gift from DH so I could keep in touch with you all), so hope to be able to keep up with your blogs in the evening.

I need to tell you my news - you might remember a few months ago my husband had to move his practice - I keep things in order there now.  It was a rather tedious and busy time.  I had also been accepted into an Honours course (Psychology) but quickly found I could not make the deadlines with all the stresses and time issues with the practice, so I had to remove myself from the course. As you know, I did not enjoy that decision. That, I thought, was that.

But...

I've got things more under control now - and the big scanning project is going to be broken down into small chunks and tackled over the next two summers.  It can't run my life.

Why???

Because...

Prior to accepting this place, I had also been offered a place in a fourth year graduate program in Psychology at another institution.  I had enrolled, so I withdrew my courses after acceptance into the Honours program.  As you have to at least do a semester in a new course, and can't defer, or take leave of absence, I thought to myself, well, that is that.  I did not cancel my enrolment, because I thought the withdrawal before starting would take care of that.

Imagine my surprise, when I got a phone call a few weeks ago from this institution - asking me what was going on, as they had noted my withdrawal.   I told them that I had enrolled, but that I was busy with what was happening with the practice, so I withdrew. The lady said, "you couldn't have done anything then, so we will put you on leave of absence"".   I said "but you can't do that, I haven't done a unit with you yet".  She said, " under the circumstances, we will"!!  Of course, the conversation had more ins and outs than that, but that was the gist of it.

How's that for Good Karma??

Mind you with the topsy turvy year I have had, I'm wondering if I am slightly mad to consider this at all !!

So, I am starting in Semester 2.  Residential School is on at the moment, so I am on the campus for a few days - in a NSW regional centre,  where it is 1 degree C at night and about 10-12 degrees C during the day.  Not my favourite temperature - I don't like the cold.  We have 7 full days of lectures which should be quite intense and tiring, so maybe that will take my mind off the cold :)

 Then fly back home, and catch up with the bookkeeping for the next BAS.

Then start studying in earnest.

So, sewing will be for stress relief, half an hour daily when I get back.  It's amazing what you can do in that time. Study first, then stress relief sewing reward. I think that should work. 

I'll give study my best shot, but if I really can't manage it nowadays, I can then graciously decide what to do for myself, instead of allowing circumstances to dictate.

And with the practice, so long as I keep up, and only have a small backlog in summer, then I will manage that - and during summer break, can start that horrible scanning project.  A good student job!

I do like sewing plans though - I find it is better to have things to look forward to sewing, even if you don't get around to them.  Otherwise I find that if I am busy, I tend to not be able to make anything, because I don't know what to make next!  And I have made all the basics I need to make now.

So, on the list:


A Marcy Tilton Jacket.  I have cut the muslin out so I have something to work on when I get back.


A simple little t-shirt using this polka dot knit - I have traced the pattern and will make a muslin first - it's straight up and down, and it may be better slightly shaped.  I love the knit, so I want to make sure the pattern is a flattering shape.

All supposing the pattern is flattering, I also want to make it in this wide stripe knit.  I have two pieces, on black and white stripe, one navy and white stripe.  I want to make it up this season, while wide stripes are in fashion.


I also want to make a woven t shirt type top.  This one by Burda might work.  It's rather roomy, but again, that look is in at the moment.  I happen to have a bit of black calico in the stash that I want out of the stash, so I will use that.

So, that is the sewing organised so that I have something enjoyable to do everyday.

Take care everyone, wherever you are.

Sarah Liz



30 comments:

  1. Good luck with your studies. I think it is great to make the most of our lives and keep busy and interested. I love that Marcy tilton jacket pattern. It has really interesting lines without being too formal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I agree with both points:)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!! It's difficult to give up on something that you would really like to accomplish. I'm so happy that this is all working out so well. A lot of work, but it will be worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarahliz, I am so happy for you .. That you will be able to continue your studies..It is amazing , how things work out.. Take care of your self, and enjoy the studies..
    Proud you will be able to add your 30 minute sewing time in each day.Love your jacket and tops you picked out..
    SO,SO,SO happy for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news on furthering your studies. Everything has a way of working itself out. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy, busy! But that's a good thing! Congrats on keeping up with your program!

    Nice sewing plans too. Can't wait to see how the Burda turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thrilled for you! Excellent news and your pattern selection matches mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- and it will be fun to compare our final garments:)

      Delete
  7. Great news! Good luck with your studies. You are one busy woman! I love that Burda pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I'm also looking forward to how the Birds top works out :)

      Delete
  8. WOW! Life changes are so exciting ~ you will quickly fall back into the study groove. I am really happy for you that it has worked out like this ~ enjoy the journey ahead ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith -it's a bit scary, but one step at a time...

      Delete
  9. Hi SarahLiz,
    I hope the residential school got you off to a flying start. Enjoy learning new things, and looking forward to your stress relief sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful that your studies will not suffer after all. Wishing you well with them.
    Loving the Marcy Tilton jacket. The rest look lovely too. With all these sewing projects you have plenty of relief options from other stressors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -I agree, stress relief is vital:)

      Delete
  11. How fabulous! You will excel! I sew a half an hour everyday for stress relief. I may not be this blogger who can churn out two and three garments a week but nothing is wrong with slow and steady. Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:).I agree, it doesn't matter how long it takes, its the doing that is important:)

      Delete
  12. I'm so pleased to hear your great news. Best wishes. My daughter is currently struggling with her masters in psychology due to illness but we're hoping she'll get through. She was due to finish last week, but had to miss an exam and her dissertation deadline. So we'll see. She's pretty down. It's great that your sewing will act as stress relief - plenty of great plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter-I hope there is a resolution in due course.

      Delete
  13. I am thrilled to hear your good turn of events with the grad program. I use sewing to relax and unwind too. SO I think it will really work for you to have a 1/2 hour block to look forward to each day. I've learned to cut my fabric and then put everything in a plastic bag just in case it is a few days (or weeks) until I get back to things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -it seems a lot of us use sewing for stress relief:)

      Delete
  14. What wonderful news! I know it was a difficult decision to withdraw. I love your planning system and may need to adopt it. I always have a pile of patterns pulled out but I change my mind with the direction of the wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-and I used to do just the same as you:)

      Delete
  15. Congratulations with this wonderful turn of events for you! All your sewing plans look lovely.

    ReplyDelete