Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2014

We all have these weeks...




We all have those weeks where nothing quite goes right, and not much sewing gets done either.  I've just had one of those. And another one of those days.  Capped off with now the internet is as slow as paint drying.  Frustrating!

Enough grumbles.  On the plus side this week, I got the dreaded BAS out of the way ( a quarterly impost from the Tax Office, AND,  I actually got a slab of my first assignment done.  I find it very tedious - the subject matter was as boring as.  So I fidgeted and fidgeted but still I persevered, and now I can see it will happen.

So, I didn't do much sewing.  I did run up a calico, then decided I didn't like it:


It's a Katherine Tilton Jacket, Butterick  5891.  Here is the line drawing.


Line Drawing 
I thought the long sleeve jacket looked quite interesting, but the calico makes me think twice.  I hated it when I first tried it on, but the more I look at it, the more I wonder if it does have some sort of potential.  I'll keep looking... The short sleeve blouse is certainly not me though. 

After chunks of essay, I allowed myself a walk - well, wouldn't you know, Spotlight has a pattern sale at the moment, all $5.00.  Who could resist dreaming of what could be after a few days of reading and writing about how to choose good evidence from treatment trials and what levels of evidence are the best levels of evidence.

And some of my fidgets were quite useful - I pre-shrunk pieces of fabric:


Only to find that the striped pieces didn't take kindly to the treatment.   Although the colour seemed fast in the water, as not much colour came out, the fabric today told a different story.  The colours have run.  I'm very disappointed.  The spots performed beautifully though.  You win some and you lose some.

Today seemed to be the lose some.  I decided to cut out a simple top out of material already washed in hot water.  After I cut the top out, I had one of those strange flashes - what if this will shrink. Strange thought, seeing I had already treated it. So I cut a square out, measured it, dunked it in very hot water for ten minutes, and measure again.  It had shrunk considerably. Another disappointment.  You win some and you lose some.
 Still looking on the bright side, if I had made it and it shrunk, I would have been even more disappointed.

 I decided to quit while I was ahead, and console myself with cataloging uncatalogued stash:

Which made me feel a little better.  The false illusion of control, but so what :)

During the week as one of my occupational health and safety computer breaks (a.k.a. as the fidgets, mentioned above) I also started assessing my wardrobe and it is time for some RTW to go:


Trousers that never did fit me huge on the hips, tight in the middle and cut right through the crotch.  I'd rather be comfortable in my still not quite perfectly fitted me mades. They  look better and fit better. Also  a shirt worthy of the office junior in horrid cheap fabric, and a black shirt bought in haste in my usual size from Rivers that didn't fit.  Time to go.  There will be more...

I also found a few garments that I don't wear because they need alterations.  They are now out on my sewing rack, and they won't go back into the wardrobe until they are fixed:


All simple things, like shirts I like but instead of long sleeves they need short sleeves, a good wool  skirt that is too short but would be worn if it was a tiny bit longer.  For those formal occasions.

On the plus side, I have managed to do some knitting.  The back of my cotton/acrylic cardigan is now complete. 
So that was my sewing week!  Next week I hope to post a garment - I have found a something in the wardrobe I haven''t worn on the blog, so I can do that.  What sewing I will manage I am not sure - but I think this was just one of those off weeks we all have from time to time.

Do you have off sewing weeks too?

Bye for now,

Sarah Liz

37 comments:

  1. $5 patterns at Spotlight! I missed that. Drat.

    The calico looks interesting, why did it not speak to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sale is still on - I think until Sunday.

      I'm not sure, but I'm going to speak to it in due course :)

      Delete
  2. I have had those kind of days and weeks. Fortunately as you said you did not sew something to find that it shrunk after it was sewn. Maybe this weekend will lead to a better start of a better week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes I think we all do - they are so frustrating, aren't they.

      Delete
  3. What a frustrating week! You are definitely not alone in experiencing "off" weeks, I have them myself. I'm struggling at the moment as my sewing room (our back bedroom) catches the afternoon sun and by evening is like a sauna. Yesterday I had to give up as I was sweating so much!

    On the plus side, your knitting looks lovely and your stash is catalogued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how the hot room affects sewing - concentration as well. Can I suggest pulling blinds down early in the morning, so the sun doesn't come it? You may do that already of course, but it's the sort of thing you learn you have to do in Oz.

      Delete
  4. Sigh. Google lost my comment. Again. I'll try to summarize what I wrote.

    We all have moments like this. Fortunately, they don't last forever. I hope you are able to get some more sewing down. It's a good thing that you did have a chance to organize your stash. I should do the same thing, but I've run out of room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that just so annoying - google won't let me comment on some blogs either. I'm sorry you had that problem.

      No, thank goodness they don't last forever - I think I'd go up in a puff of smoke if they did - sewing keeps me grounded :)

      Delete
  5. You are a woman after my own heart...when things don't go well in the sewing room, go shopping...or organize stash. I truly think organizing is similar to nesting behavior and allows us to get ready for birth. In this case, birth of creative ideas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mary - stashing therapy, whether playing with or shopping for, is good for the creative juices and soul :)

      Delete
  6. Deep sigh.

    Yep. We all have those weeks. Just roll with the flow. Something good will come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we just - and yes, you just have to work through...

      Delete
  7. We all have those kinds of weeks but it looks like through it all you did get a whole lot accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have yours too, I know Faye :)

      Delete
  8. I think I go through one of these weeks once a month! Organzing always inspires and you will make something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you? I agree with you about organising :)

      Delete
  9. I hope next week is a good one for you then :) I visited the Spotlight sale too ;) couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyne - and resistance is quite futile, really :)

      Delete
  10. I like how you got to catalog a bit and knit a bit too. Hang in there, the good week is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria - I'll trust your crystal ball :)

      Delete
  11. Boo don't like that you had that type of week. Looks like you got some nice patterns, and somethings useful done as well. Heres to a better week for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, we all have those kinds of weeks/months, unfortunately. It's good that you got some of your assignment done - and your fidgets were actually very useful! I also have things that need altered/mended but there are so many of them it has really put me off - they'll never get done! Good luck with the wardrobe purge! And the essay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do , and sometimes whole years ! I agree with you, much good has been done this week, none-the-less :)

      Delete
  13. I think we all have weeks like that boo hoo :( on the plus side things can only get better for you! Ive just finished my July magam make. No issues but phew I have been struggling for sewing time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are horrid sorts of weeks for us sewers - sorry to hear you have been struggling for sewing time - I guess you are still sorting out after the move, it takes months.

      Delete
    2. It's more work than the house move Sarah Liz. Our job is very seasonal so extremely busy and very long hours during summer; especially now, our peak time. It's one of the main reasons I joined your wonderful challenge, because time lacks this time of year and joining your wonderful group is helping me to make sure I do some sewing, even if it is in short supply! :)x

      Delete
    3. I'll pop over to your blog to leave a reply...

      Delete
  14. It's like that sometimes. I've had one of those weeks too where I just got very little sewing done. I got a cardigan cut out earlier in the week. Since then I've either been too busy or too tired to sew it. But you still had a productive week so that's the silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tired and busy seem to go together. Still, cutting is the first stage...

      Delete
  15. It's so hard when things just don't go right - you start to wonder when this spell will end, but then it always does. I also do a bit of sorting out, reorgansing my stash and looking through patterns and hopefully this inspires me to start something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank goodness we have stashes to work with in times like these - I also sometimes work on simple projects.

      Delete
  16. Well the fact that I read your post days ago and thought I'd left a comment shows you the type of week(s) I'm having too?!! Hope yours is better now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I realised from your very recent post that you had been having one of those weeks as well :)

      Delete
  17. Weeks like this make the good weeks GREAT! And a $5 Spottie sale was on the up side, I even managed to whip in for a quick look (and grab) ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they just - glad you had a little Spotlight splurge:)

      Delete
  18. Sometimes I have "off" sewing months. I just keep thinking, "this, too, shall pass." ;-)

    ReplyDelete