Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

A Skirt and an Essay Completed.



 I finally managed to do an hour or so of sewing - a quick and simple elastic waist skirt for wearing when I study.  I like to have something on hand that I don't  have to think about, so I can concentrate on what needs doing.  Doing assignments can be tedious, and I find the best way to tackle them is to just get up and get on with it, and I don't need any excuse to procrastinate.

This is what the last few weeks have been like:


Fun.  By Thursday last week, I was really tired and fed up, so decided a break would do me good - so  I ran up this little skirt.  Just as well, because on Thursday night I think we all found out we had not quite done what we should in the essay, and I spent the weekend working on it.  Anyway, it's finished now :) :) :)

Tomorrow I start the next one!

Anyway, back to the skirt. I used Kwik Sew 3765:


I've made this skirt before in stretch fabrics:

 

The slightly under-dressed look ( I wouldn't normally wear a singlet top)  is just to show you the skirt and how it fits :)

Because the skirt was a stretch woven I cut an XS.

This skirt though, is made in a woven fabric so needs a bit more ease . So I cut S. 

A very unglamorous shot, but I   wanted to show you the top of the skirt.

Most elastic waist skirts are rectangles sewn together at the sides, and then elastic put in at the top.  This skirt is tapered in a bit going into the waist.  When cutting measure, and if it fits your hips, then it will work.  If you have large hips, you might need to add more at the waist.

With less fabric at the waist than most elastic waist skirts, the look is not quite so bulky.


I used to be a real sewing snob, and would never sew elastic waist anything. But elastic waist garments do have a place - sewing basics like this becomes quick and simple.  And very easy to put on, as well .

Now the usual front, back and side views:


I also want to show you the little split at the back.  I always finish the split so it can't split more through the stitching or fabric. Sometimes I put a hook and eye on the back, but often I use buttons - one to anchor the split, and sometimes some decorative ones as well.  That's what I did with this skirt:


As you can see, that split is not going to tear - always the weak point in garments like this, especially if you tend to stride, like I do:)

That's it for today, not sure when I will be able to catch up with you all again - after I have done the next assignment, I think, not before :)

Sarah Liz








38 comments:

  1. YEA for the essay being completed....sure its a big sigh of relief. Adorable skirt and love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great skirt. Love the fabric (but keep away from those shop scanners otherwise your bill is going to be higher!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay - I'll take your advice :)

      Delete
  3. Cute, practical skirt. I have only just discovered what a friend elastic waists can be. Thanks for the tip regarding the back split I think I may well be borrowing the button idea for future projects it looks very pretty and serves an important function to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy - and I'm glad I have given you a good idea :)

      Delete
  4. Great skirt ~ it doesn't look like a gathered waist at all! Fabric is fantastic ... good luck with the essay writing ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith - yes, it's a nice little pattern :)

      Delete
  5. Busy girl! Good luck with your next assignment, you'll be well dressed writing your paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done with the essay writing, Sarah Liz, and you have produced a lovely skirt too. That fabric is really cute, and I like your idea to reinforce above the split with the buttons; there's an idea I might copy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - and please do copy the idea :)

      Delete
  7. Huzzah! Essay finished and a really fantastic skirt. The buttons above the split, such a handy idea but a very pretty detail. I love the fabric -- how from far away it looks completely different than up close. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What interesting fabric- where did you purchase it ? Thanks for the button tip-that's a great idea. Good luck with study -hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine - and the fabric came from good old Spotlight, cotton poplin.

      Delete
  9. Congrats in finishing that essay and good luck as you tackle the next! I really like this skirt Sarah Liz, and think the fit looks great on you. You made that fun fabric work well in your cute skirt! After having just made a 'rectangle' elastic-waist straight skirt, I know exactly what you mean about a taper at the waist.... and that's what I will do next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - yes, it's a good idea to remove some of the excess fabric where it is not needed - just remember to make sure the skirt fits over your hips though.

      Delete
  10. Just perfect... Love the skirt [fabric is awsome]. I love the fact that the skirt has the tapered waist, thank you for sharing about the buttons, such a great idea..
    Best wishes on your studies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eek! I love it! I knew that fabric would sew up pretty. Very nice skirt. It fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the slim look of this skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful....It does help to work in an outfit that is not sloppy. And the bonus is if you have to run an errand you don't have to change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roz - and you are right about the errands :)

      Delete
  14. Great skirts Sarah. Glad you got your paper done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sarah Liz, what a wonderful skirt-that fabric is so cute. I have relaxed my standards regarding elastic over the years...as my figure has relaxed too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - I agree, the elastic waist standard and the mid life middle seem to go together :)

      Delete
  16. Perfect skirt and the fabric is so much fun. So glad it was your class that found out about the assignment before you had to hand it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - yes a rewrite is no fun, but better than poor marks.

      Delete
  17. Love, love LOVE! That's a great pattern and fits you well. Did I mention that I love that fabric? =)

    Seeing your desk of papers made me cringe. School is starting soon. Help me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great fabric - and I do not envy you going back to school AT ALL. It's a long haul until your next summer sewing vacation.

      Delete
  18. The fabric looks grey and black on my monitor. It smacks of versatility (I love suits, jackets, etc.), and can be dressed up or down.

    Relax, rest, breathe, then get back to school, giggles :)

    Cheers,

    Lyric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyric, yes, it is grey and black - and I love versatile things too.

      The rest and relax sounds good:)

      Delete
  19. Love your skirt fabric! You can't beat a simple basic skirt. You always have a lot of options with them; can easily dress them up or down. I like the button idea for the split!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda - I agree, simple basics are the best, for just the reason you mention. Glad you like the button idea- please feel free to use it :)

      Delete