Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2014

A Very Wearable Muslin Top - Burda 7079.

 

 Yesterday I had a sewing afternoon after a week of not feeling well - the usual winter sinus/ear syndrome arrived.  This top was a quick and easy sew and did not need fitting at all, so it was just an easy sewing job - just what I needed :).

I used Burda 7079 and adapted the pattern - I used the bodice hemline from view and the sleeves from view B. View B is a dress, but I preferred the adaptability of a top that can be worn with a variety of other clothes (increasingly me-mades).


I used a piece of black calico that was hiding in my stash.  I like black calico for trial run garments - black always looks smart, and no-one can really tell what the fabric is.  This was a nice soft calico, perfect for this sort of top.

This top has no fasteners of any kind - just the front and back pieces with facings for the neck area. The slit is easy to sew - I use embroidery scissors for clipping into the corners. The front is shaped by bust darts, and the back has a centre seam that is shaped. The sleeves are sewn in flat, and the side seams and sleeved seams sewn in one.    Finish seams and hem edges, hem sleeves and bottom edge, and you are done!  New top in a very short space of time.  The only alteration I made was in shortening the front slit about half an inch.

The top is a very generous size - I made size 38, and the finished bust measurements are 41 3/4 inches (108 cms). The only alteration I made was to shorten the bodice about half an inch (1 cm) along the L/S line.   I like the generous ease  - this will be cool to wear in summer.  And in black, it doesn't look too voluminous - if I made it in white, I would go down a size.

Enough sewing chit-chat, now for the pictures:

As you can see in the photo above,  the top, although generous, is still quite flattering, especially on my shape.


A view of the sleeves - although long, I find the length quite attractive in this top.  I think in some shirts, it would be a downright dowdy length.


The top is nice and generous around the mid section - nothing to cling to the tummy area at all :)

  
 And the back looks nice as well!

I'm wearing the top with another me made garment, a stretch cotton twill straight skirt.  It really needs a petticoat underneath for wearing out of the house, and I usually put one on then - I have neat little petticoats that sit nicely with back splits. But today, for the photo, I forgot!

Tomorrow it is back to writing my assignment again - this one is not bad.  I might even manage to make another one of these tops next week, a little bit each day.  It's so easy to make, and will be the sort of thing you can do a little bit of sewing on when you want a few minutes break.  That's the right sort of sewing to have on hand when you have more pressing demands.

Sarah Liz





38 comments:

  1. This is very flattering top, it looks gorgeous on you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google keeps eating my comments for you ... sigh ... anyway I was saying that I thought the top was gorgeous. It's generous proportions don't look out of place (it doesn't dwarf you or anything like that) and together with the white skirt it creates a fabulous outfit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How annoying for you - thank you for your perseverance, I loved your comment :)

      Delete
  3. I really like that top. The picture on the pattern envelope doesn't do it justice, it looks much nicer on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic on you! And you're right that the generous ease just works. It still accentuates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the top is stylish and versatile -- you could wear it with a skirt or change it with a pair of trousers. I hope you are feeling better! With the start of school for me I already have a scratchy throat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, I plan to wear with pants and skirts.

      I'm not surprised you are developing school throat - back to the daily grind.

      Delete
  6. This is a really nice top ,Sarah, and one that you can reach for for different occasions. I agree that a litttle bit of sewing every day can really add up. As a matter a fact. I'm just taking a break from cleaning and letting myself have an hour to sew on a shirt I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana - and I hope you enjoyed your sewing hour :)

      Delete
  7. This looks like a sew-n-go pattern! :) Very flattering on you and could be dressed up or down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and it is, and as you say, versatile.

      Delete
  8. Love when a muslin is wearable.. This is really cute and looks so pretty on you.. Love the shape of it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sewn-n-go indeed! The top is very flattering and quite sleek.

    Good luck on your writing assignment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you L, I plan a few more sew-n-gos after the writing :)

      Delete
  10. That is a very nice top, I like it on you a lot. That's a lovely neckline :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!

    Hope your mojo is back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice top! A bright coloured version would be nice for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I will be making more for spring, not sure what colours yet :)

      Delete
  13. What a great top-this will surely be a TNT for you. Hope you are feeling beter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this top on you! As I read your post, I kept scrolling up and down, back and forth, from your photo to the pattern envelope's photo, and you really nailed this one..... it really looks like the pattern envelope! Very pretty! It has a nice fitter curve there for a 'generous' fit and I like the sleeves. Kind of 3/4-ish of sorts. Good luck with your next assignment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - it's an easy style to nail, a great little pattern.

      Delete
  15. Lovely top Iits very flattering on you. I like the sleeve length

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy - yes, I'm quite taken by the sleeve length as well :)

      Delete
  16. This is a great looking top on you. It looks great with the white skirt, too. I can see that this would be a very versatile top.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sarah. Thanks for pointing out this top. It is a TNT for sure, especially with the seam line down the back to enable more exact fitting. Your version is very versatile, dressed up or down, and I like the midway sleeve length for awkward weather. :-) TS

    ReplyDelete