Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Holiday Time Top, Burda 7079 #2

I quickly made this top yesterday, after finishing Assignment #2. (Hooray!)  It's another version of Burda 7079.  My first version can be found here.  

This is the pattern envelope - I used the bodice of dress B as a top pattern - I just added the bottom of top A.
 
For this version, I cut a smaller size - size 36 instead of 38.  This is because for this top I used a much firmer fabric, so in the slightly larger size was going to sit like a box.  The first version was a lot more soft and drapey, so the larger size worked well.  I wouldn't go any smaller - this top has no opening, and if any smaller, I wouldn't be able to pull it on!

I used a cheap furnishing cotton that I purchased from Spotlight.  I frequently check furnishing fabrics "just in case".    It was only AU $4.99 a metre. 

It's a simple quick make - sew back seam, sew shoulders, sew facings, attach facings, attach sleeves (flat), stitch side seams together, hem.

I chose to add a button at the front slit (which was also shortened a little - I'm uncomfortable with very deep front openings). 


I added the button because the fabric has squiggly lines, and doesn't finish symmetrically at the opening - so the button sort of hides that and makes things work.

I'll quickly show you the various views:

Front - lining the pattern up was a challenge!

Side view, which looks quite nice :)


Back view - gorgeously squiffy stripes!

 So that's my little holiday top, because I am in the holiday mood.  Yes, I am on Semester Break , the second assignment has gone:

(P.S.  The total fabric cost was $6.98, so add a bit for thread/interfacing/button so about $10-00)



And so I can catch up on some neglected jobs - and start the next batch of study so it doesn't sneak up on me "undone". (some holiday!)  But I am promising myself a sewing day next week.

In other news, another year has gone, which meant another birthday - and I received this lovely gift:


Fabric Sewing Guide, by Claire Shaeffer.  I've heard it is an excellent book, and it really is quite comprehensive - I think every fabric known is in there.  Some nice evening reading coming up!

Take care everyone, I'm off to do the rounds of your blogs next...

Sarah Liz :)





34 comments:

  1. Those stripes are brilliant ~ just that little bit different which adds nicely to your top ... enjoy your break ... J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quick make the squiggly lines add fun and interest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely top -- I would never have guessed it was furnishing fabric. Sometimes when you are busy, quick little sewing projects have the best reward. Happy belated...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, a little bit of instant sewing gratification is just right sometimes :)

      Delete
  4. You've done a lovely job with the pattern matching down the front Sarah Liz. Happy belated birthday to you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this top on you...this little ensemble would also look cute with boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - and what a great idea, a little winter top might also be made :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday, Sarah Liz! Cute stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This top looks so good on you. I can see why you have gone back to the same pattern again and again. It's simple yet elegant looking. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, a good pattern for me - there will be more :)

      Delete
  8. Love the top and the fabric. Gardening is winding down so hopefully I will be able to sew more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, you would have been busy during summer :)

      Delete
  9. Love this top.. The squiggly fabric is just perfect for that pattern..Looks pretty on you too.
    Happy Birthday and what a lovely gift. I too, heard it is a good book..Know you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Sarah Liz!!!!! The top looks fantastic! Love the squiggly lines with the punch of blue. I like the way you've got the white centered down the front and the button looks almost like a necklace accent. This is a fantastic pattern and you wear it well. Enjoy your new book and holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - yes, I thought the button was a good replacement for a necklace as well :)

      Delete
  11. What a great pattern this is for you! And another great choice of fabric. Happy Birthday and many more!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great job on lining up all those line, it turned out great! enjoy your break!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated birthday to you!! Love that top. The stripes are funky and it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay - we all need a bit of funk in our wardrobes (instead of being in a funk!).

      Delete
  14. Hope you had a wonderful birthday! Lovely top, I really like the squiggly lines and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete