Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sunday Sewing News

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about my frustrations with recent sewing endeavours.  I put it down to energy  being used for challenges elsewhere.  Demanding life changes always catch you out for a while.  However, I am slowly easing back into a routine where both study and sewing can co-exist.  Maybe not always peacefully, but none-the-less.

So, energy this week went into more of doing the essay and working out my summer sewing direction.  I have done a wardrobe audit, and need tops to go with all the casual bottoms I made last year.

So, it was into the stash (and I also added to the stash during the Spotlight sale - but with a purpose and plan, not just stashing because something appealed to me):



I need a pair of trousers for work - I have some fabric in the stash that will do.  I have two shirts that need the sleeves shortened and that will get me out of the crisis for summer necessaries at the office.  It won't be a perfect solution, but a start.

And I need a house skirt to go with lots of black t-shirts that are past their best prime and are now house prime. Something to quickly throw on and then to the computer and study.  Simple and straightforward little study uniform.  I thought this fabric would do.


I also think a little fashion outfit won't go astray - it's a bit of a thing to mix prints, so I thought a gingham skirt and a floral top:

Both of these garments will go with lots of other garments as well - I do try to make multi use garments.

I also am considering this high fashion dress, which is again, really a nice summer basic - loose and comfortable.   With Vogue Patterns at $5.00 this week at Spotlight (sale ends today), and some cotton in the stash, I think a nice little summer dress will be made.  And, no fitting needed :)

Vogue 1400 by Guy Larouche

Sewing activities have started again.  I did trace off the patterns I will be making up over the next few weeks (more likely months):

I always trace patterns - it's tedious and hard work, but I can cut and alter tracings and still have the master pattern should I make a mistake or need a different size.

And, I altered a skirt.  I made a little cotton drill skirt out of a piece of leftover fabric last year - it had a small kick pleat, but it was too skimpy and did not sit well.  Now, I hate alterations, but I knew that I would never wear a skirt that had a skimpy kick pleat that did not sit well. Some sewing imperfections I can live with, and some I can't.  And this was in the can't live with category.

So, I undid the kick pleat and made a split instead. The split was going to end up far too high up the back of my leg, and I prefer a modest look!!!  So I stitched the seam down a little further. This left me with the remains of the kick pleat.  I could trim that, but then there was a messy over-locking job to be done - sort of half way down the seam and over the last bit of over-locking. That is also a sewing imperfection I don't like.  So I stitched the split facing up to the original opening point. Which then had to be made to look as though it was meant to be.  I added buttons:

-

I now have a nice casual skirt for the house. And the hem is even, I just laid the back a bit lower so you could see the edge of the split.


38 comments:

  1. Great sewing plans and love the way you have handled the back pleat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great black and white fabrics! I, too generally trace all patterns. My only exceptions are 99 cent patterns. If I know I'm going to make it up, I buy two at that price. Cut one and "save the other" if I mess up the one I cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes I have done that too - especially with patterns I know I will use :)

      Delete
  3. I like the way you have dealt with the back pleat - thank you for sharing. Sounds like you have got a realistic sewing plan that will help to get your sewing mojo back balanced against all your other commitments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, sometimes we have to be realistic :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice plan! And good that you get a nice sale on Vogue patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I normally traced patterns, have gotten a little lazy though of late. I like the fabrics you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, sometimes laziness happens :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely fabric, and it sounds like you have a great plan worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such wonderfully thought out plans (and ways to fix things when they go astray --great job with the pleat!). As always, here is to balancing life and sewing this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, getting out of sewing trouble is a necessary skill to have :)

      Delete
  8. Love that back pleat. Looking forward to seeing what you make with your new fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Proud things are settling down for you.. Love your plans..
    Very pretty fabrics.. Look forward to seeing your makes.. Happy sewing, and best wishes with your studies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of good plans, Sarah. I was considering that Vogue 1400 too, thinking it has plenty of useful possibilities. And I love a print mix - your black and white combination will definitely be a winner! Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how you have done the back pleat on your skirt, the buttons look so good. Quite often little mistakes turn into good things! I also really like that bar code fabric - I would make a dress from it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, this fabric would make a great dress :)

      Delete
  12. Great plans. Love how you're balancing everything. I really like your pleat detail. I trace sometimes but not always - but I always have loads of changes to make do should always trace. I've just got a fitted bodice block so now I want to use that as basis for pattern changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - although I think juggle is a better word :)

      Delete
  13. Love the way you handled the kick pleat on the skirt! You always amaze and inspire me with your sewing plans as you juggle so many other responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thahk you - sewing is sort of necessary for me, it's my little pleasure in life :)

      Delete
  14. Looks like you have plenty to work on this summer! What a fun barcode fabric you have there! Also love that kick pleat as well. Very professional looking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love to trace my patterns as well and experiment with making changes. But the amount of time it takes requires a whole lot of patience, which I don't think I have right now. Kudos to you for doing it; no wonder you're able to come up with such great solutions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does take time - so I can understand why not everyone does. I've become pretty quick at it - also, you get to know the pattern before you sew it.

      Delete
  16. I like the buttons on the back pleat as well! I really like the bar code fabric, too. I can totally see that in a skirt. I hope you're able to get some quality time with your sewing machine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I trace my patterns, too. Good sewing plan and I like the save on the skirt pleat with the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, another tracer :). and thank you.

      Delete
  18. Oh my goodness, I love the bar code fabric. WHERE did you get it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - a local store called Spotlight. Occasionally you find interesting things there,more often not.

      Delete
  19. I really like the back split and LOVE the little buttons on it. A real feature. I love little features on the back.. like a surprise. I like some of your new fabrics. I have nearly finished a pair of Vogue jeans (just waistband and hem left to do) but they don't fit (not even close) so I understand about sewing frustrations. O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, surprise features are fun. I saw your post on the jeans in progress - pants can be a real pain to sew.

      Delete