Thank you for your wonderful comments about my frustrations with recent sewing endeavours. I put it down to energy being used for challenges elsewhere. Demanding life changes always catch you out for a while. However, I am slowly easing back into a routine where both study and sewing can co-exist. Maybe not always peacefully, but none-the-less.
So, energy this week went into more of doing the essay and working out my summer sewing direction. I have done a wardrobe audit, and need tops to go with all the casual bottoms I made last year.
So, it was into the stash (and I also added to the stash during the Spotlight sale - but with a purpose and plan, not just stashing because something appealed to me):
I need a pair of trousers for work - I have some fabric in the stash that will do. I have two shirts that need the sleeves shortened and that will get me out of the crisis for summer necessaries at the office. It won't be a perfect solution, but a start.
And I need a house skirt to go with lots of black t-shirts that are past their best prime and are now house prime. Something to quickly throw on and then to the computer and study. Simple and straightforward little study uniform. I thought this fabric would do.
I also think a little fashion outfit won't go astray - it's a bit of a thing to mix prints, so I thought a gingham skirt and a floral top:
I also am considering this high fashion dress, which is again, really a nice summer basic - loose and comfortable. With Vogue Patterns at $5.00 this week at Spotlight (sale ends today), and some cotton in the stash, I think a nice little summer dress will be made. And, no fitting needed :)
|Vogue 1400 by Guy Larouche|
Sewing activities have started again. I did trace off the patterns I will be making up over the next few weeks (more likely months):
And, I altered a skirt. I made a little cotton drill skirt out of a piece of leftover fabric last year - it had a small kick pleat, but it was too skimpy and did not sit well. Now, I hate alterations, but I knew that I would never wear a skirt that had a skimpy kick pleat that did not sit well. Some sewing imperfections I can live with, and some I can't. And this was in the can't live with category.
So, I undid the kick pleat and made a split instead. The split was going to end up far too high up the back of my leg, and I prefer a modest look!!! So I stitched the seam down a little further. This left me with the remains of the kick pleat. I could trim that, but then there was a messy over-locking job to be done - sort of half way down the seam and over the last bit of over-locking. That is also a sewing imperfection I don't like. So I stitched the split facing up to the original opening point. Which then had to be made to look as though it was meant to be. I added buttons:
I now have a nice casual skirt for the house. And the hem is even, I just laid the back a bit lower so you could see the edge of the split.