Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Kimono Covetness


This weeks sewing effort, in between working on a very tedious assignment, much of which was done last week, was to make this kimono.  I had decided that I wanted one after seeing  Annie's kimono.

So I decided to make one.  I rummaged through the stash and found this fabric, purchased by mail order  from The Remnant Warehouse.  :

It's a self stripe gauzey-viole -ey sort of sheer cotton.  I purchased it to stash, knowing that one day the perfect idea would come along that would need this fabric.

And I thought a kimono was the perfect idea.  So out came the fabric :)

I used a combination of patterns:

The one on the left has a 90 degree angle at the sleeve/bodice junction - and I made a kimono years ago using this sort of sleeve.  It doesn't turn well unless you clip into it, and then you can't finish it. 

I morphed the kimono pattern onto the jacket pattern on the right and took the sleeves from that pattern.  They are not quite as wide as the kimono sleeves, but wide enough.  I also had to shorten the sleeves, as I did not have enough fabric to make them longer.  Anyway, I like the finished length - this kimono is planned to be worn over summer tops, so shorter sleeves are better.

The neckline on the left hand kimono I liked - and the neck and front are finished by facings, which look smart.  I also used french seams, as I wanted this garment to look nice inside and out:

I even matched the stripes perfectly.

The neck facing.


Enough said, now for the pictures. Unfortunately, I am studying today and am wearing study clothes -perhaps not quite right for this lovely jacket :).

Front

Side

Back


I think this jacket is going to be a firm favourite, for dressing up casual or for dressing up - and being cotton, is not going to feel hot and sticky, unlike the polyester mass market RTW ones currently on the market.

Do have a great weekend everyone,

Sarah Liz :)


42 comments:

  1. Chic and comfy! Thumbs up for being so productive while working on assignments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are a dynamo, Sarah Liz, to turn that out while doing an assignment! It is really pretty and will be very useful in an Aussie summer. I like French seams too, for a sheer fabric; so much neater for a jacket, which can be taken off when needed and looks good in the inside too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - though I am not much of a dynamo, there is a lot I don't do while I am studying - housework for instance can wait, but sewing relaxes me. So sewing wins :)

      Delete
  3. A pretty little jacket Sarah Liz and the colour is gorgeous. It is my favourite shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect! Love the color and the fit. You will definitely get tons of wear from this one'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimonos were so popular here during the summer. Your's is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are really getting a lot of sewing done with your hectic schedule! Great choice of fabric and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roz - although this was a very simple make, so esy to fit in - a little every day :)

      Delete
  7. Sarah Liz -- this is fabulous!!! I love the color and the way it drapes. French seams make it look so luxe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love your jacket, and the blue looks so pretty on you.. [And I think its pretty with your study clothes too ].
    Best wishes on your studies..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy, for all your thoughts :)

      Delete
  9. Love it! Great color on you, too...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Sarah Liz love the colour and impressed that all your lines match up so beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kimonos are definitely all the go these days and your is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful colour on you! I am now investigating kimonos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and you must make one - they are very simple to make, and quick :)

      Delete
  13. This is lovely. I love the colour. The fabric and the finish looks great - and it goes well with your study clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing the style and your tips, especially about the sleeves. I will want to add this style to my list of possible top layers. You have made the fabric drape, ease, and hem length just right. Your skill at matching the stripe and seam finishing makes it a good sewing example. Wear it with pleasure and pride (with everything).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ash - yes, with this fabric it was important to take a little extra care - a classic kimono like this could be worn for years :)

      Delete
  15. I love your kimono, Sarah Liz. The fabric is so beautiful blue color and looks so wearable. I hope you enjoy wearing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kimono tops are easy and breezy. You'll definitely get lots of wear out of this. Aren't french seams great? They take more time to do, but for sheer fabrics they're worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, on the one hand french seams take longer, but on the other hand, you don't have to rethread the serger :)

      Delete
  17. Agree with Accordian3 that is a gorgeous color on you! LOVE the jacket!! Comfortable, stylish, wearable.... one of those things you'll be reaching for as you dash out the door. Even with your 'study clothes', your jacket makes a nice finish. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice and stylish. Don't know that I am familiar with the fabric that you used. Looks very nice on you...making me want one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a nice kimono and I love the color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so pretty Sarah. I love that fabric! The colour is lovely on you. A great piece to throw on over a lot of things too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a pretty colour on you, and a great garment for that bit of extra cover.

    ReplyDelete