So I decided to make one. I rummaged through the stash and found this fabric, purchased by mail order from The Remnant Warehouse. :
And I thought a kimono was the perfect idea. So out came the fabric :)
I used a combination of patterns:
I morphed the kimono pattern onto the jacket pattern on the right and took the sleeves from that pattern. They are not quite as wide as the kimono sleeves, but wide enough. I also had to shorten the sleeves, as I did not have enough fabric to make them longer. Anyway, I like the finished length - this kimono is planned to be worn over summer tops, so shorter sleeves are better.
The neckline on the left hand kimono I liked - and the neck and front are finished by facings, which look smart. I also used french seams, as I wanted this garment to look nice inside and out:
|I even matched the stripes perfectly.|
|The neck facing.|
Enough said, now for the pictures. Unfortunately, I am studying today and am wearing study clothes -perhaps not quite right for this lovely jacket :).
I think this jacket is going to be a firm favourite, for dressing up casual or for dressing up - and being cotton, is not going to feel hot and sticky, unlike the polyester mass market RTW ones currently on the market.
Do have a great weekend everyone,
Sarah Liz :)