Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Seeing double ...

This is the dress I made this week - in between reading bits and pieces that have to be read before next week (and I am still going on that task - I will be glad when the semester is over.  Commiserations to those of you who have gone back recently!).

I made version one of this dress, in the same sort of fabric but with a teal stripe instead of blue, last week - you can find it :  here.

My pattern review can be found at sewing pattern review :  here.

The pattern I used, for those of you who prefer the information without clicking on  a link, is Burda 7066.

 

I used a cotton furnishing fabric that I purchased at Spotlight, which was much cheaper than cottons designated for clothes.  And Spotlight has an atrocious range anyway - fine if you want cheap, cheerful, retro or any other look I don't want, so this fabric sort of was the only thing that was closer to being something I liked.  Of course, sometimes Spotlight surprises me and brings in fabrics that are more to my taste.  Spotlight knows how to intermittently reinforce my behaviours in a way that keeps me going back :)

 I wanted the dress to be a simple slip on thing to wear around the house, but I have to admit, with the belt on it works for going out on errands as well.  In fact, I like it a lot :).

The dress is effectively just a big A-Line tent like thing, with the only shaping being bust darts.  I added pockets:


I added a button to the front of the V neckline - as you can see, the stripes are squiffy, and don't quite make a neat statement at the V point of the neck.  A button solves this problem nicely.

I also tend to top-stitch seams for added definition in something as casual as this.  Top-stitching also helps to hold the seam just where I want it.


The sleeves are flat set in and the side seams stitch in one.  I also top-stitch the armhole seams:

The dress has splits at the bottom of the side seams, to allow room for movement.  I always add a button at the top of these sorts of seams (and I reinforce the seam first with a bit of scrap interfacing).   The twin needle look hem is not done by twin needles at all, but by me - I go around twice - my old machine can't take twin needles, and in any case, it is a fast and effective machine.


Now the shots with the belt, front, side and back:




I must have taken my mother's maxim one to wash, and one to wear very seriously:


So that's it, two new dresses ready for summer (if it ever comes - it's been pouring with rain for days and days where I live).

Back to reading now, and then some enjoyment this evening - reading your blogs :)

Take care everyone,

Sarah Liz :) 

32 comments:

  1. Summer is all but just around the corner, and you will be definitely ready with these dresses! Love the squiggly fabric ... J

    ReplyDelete
  2. The summer heat is slowing fading away here in the US. It is time for me to start to starting sewing for fall!

    I love the dress with the belt! You look beautiful.

    Hope your semester winds down and you get to relax soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting watching the seasons change on sewers blogs - you are always ahead, so we get a sneak peak on patterns to come as well :)

      I'm looking forward to relaxing time as well.

      Delete
  3. LOL! I thought when I first clicked on your post that I had just read this one recently-then I caught on to seeing double. It is a cute dress and interesting how the blue and teal make for a different dress. I do so like the button at the back split.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda - yes, just a subtle variation and the dress looks quite different :)

      Delete
  4. I love that you shared an up close view of this fabric. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same reaction as Linda. Both are lovely dresses and I'm sure they will get lots of use. Also loving the close up shots.

    Spring has sprung in Melbourne, still chilly but more sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol's! They will. I'll try and do more close ups in future posts - probably after study is over.

      I'll bet you are looking forward to more sunshine - Melbourne gets quite cold :)

      Delete
  6. I really like the dresses.. They look so comfortable, and when you add the belt.. just dressy enough to run errands..Perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dress looks so lovely! I love the shape of the neckline and the fabric is just perfect for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dresses, the fabric is lovely and I love the button details. You must be luckier than me, Spotlight never has what I am looking for .... that includes patterns too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and I agree, Spotlight is very hit and miss. When I see something that is okay, I buy it - which is why I have such a stash.

      Delete
  9. I like these dresses too the top stitching and pockets are great additions. The colourful print suits you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy - yes, it's the sort of print that gives a spring to the step :)

      Delete
  10. A nice pair of dresses. They will be very comfy when the hot weather comes and I do like the unusual stripes. Far more interesting than straight ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - I like the stripes too, and it's great to have some practical dresses ready and waiting for summer :)

      Delete
  11. one to wash, one to wear. That's priceless. I love these dresses on you and am lusting for the cool stripey fabric. This is a style not suited to me but I love it nonetheless. I usually cut them quite high and wear with leggings and sandals, or with jeans and heels. You look great in this belted style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary - yes, my mother is full of wisdoms :). It's good to know what suits you - you and I have quite different shapes, so it's not surprising that what works for me does not work for you - and vice versa, I expect :)

      Delete
  12. Another great dress and the button details are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this dress too! It is so cute with the belt, yet looks breezy and comfortable without too. Gotta' have pockets in a dress like that - perfect!!
    P.S. I read your post days ago, and thought I'd already left a comment. The older I get, the less my brain works right. Sorry I'm a little late here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - it's all those things :)

      Nothing wrong with your brain - this is the second version of this dress I have made, in stripes, just slightly different colours.

      Delete
  14. Even though I don't sew or wear them often, I am a sucker for stripes. I like both versions of your dress and know you're going to get a lot of use out of them this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with your curves stripes would not look fantastic. Your floral shirts, on the other hand, do - but they would not suit me :)

      Delete
  15. I like the details you have added to make this dress truly your own. I think a solid brown or black belt would give a different look to this dress too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - great suggestion too. I've got a couple of belts I could use.

      Delete
  16. That is such an interesting print; I like the random wavy stripes :)

    ReplyDelete