Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Take Two....White Tops.



I'm having a very casual Sunday today - just doing chores and editing (yuk) an assignment.  So my appearance somewhat reflects, that, but then, sometimes it's just nice to have a relaxed feel.

And this little white woven top just works for these sorts of occasions. Which is what I wanted it for.

I used Burda 7079:


I've used this pattern a number of times and now have a black version, and a striped version.


 


The black was cut as size 38 (12), and the blue as size 36 (10).  I wanted the fuller look, just like the pattern envelope with the black top. With the striped top, I was working with a stiffer fabric, so I thought it would be better slightly smaller.  The white top is size 36 (10) - I thought this would be about right, as white tends to look larger.  

I used the black bodice of the dress as my top pattern, and just morphed the bottom of Top A onto it as the hemline.  Simple!   I raised the slit at the neckline a little bit, because I don't like any hint of my lack of cleavage :).  Mind you, if I had a much of a cleavage, I would still have a higher slit.

All tops have been made from cotton - the black and white are from calico - it handles nicely, and is cost effective for a casual throw on. 

A few  pictures and then I must go and do those chores...

Front view.


Back view

 I made this top last Sunday after my exam, and I made a second one this week - it's  so simple to run up, especially when you have made it a few times.  And the machines were all threaded :).


I'm now wondering what to make next - I think I am making a little summer wardrobe, but being me I don't specifically plan, except in a very broad way. 

I'm wearing RTW pull on pants - these will soon be RTG (Ready to Go).  You can see how large there are around the thighs.  My me-mades, while not perfect, tend to be no worse, and often lots better !

Have a great week everyone, where ever you are :)

Sarah Liz



37 comments:

  1. Sarahlliz, love your tops.. That pattern is such a good one..
    DId you get a new hair cut? Love it.. Looks pretty on you..
    Best wishes on your school work..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy, yes, I do have a new haircut :)

      Delete
  2. Your tops look lovely on you, SarahLiz. It's so good to have a TNT pattern. I'm still looking :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - good luck with the search :)

      Delete
  3. Very smart for around the house and you are making some great pieces from this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly have found a winner and got your money's worth from that pattern I like the white top best as you say perfect for a casual day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice fitting and sizing. I need casual tops like these -loose and comfortable without looking big and baggy. You just answered my long term question about Calico. I always wondered if you could sew garments with the calico fabric or if it was reserved for quilters only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, calico is fine, but it is very casual looking. It comes in different qualities so it is a bit trial and error to find the right one. I have a few weights washed and choose the one that seems right for whatever I want to do :)

      Delete
  6. I think this top again looks fabulous and really suits you. This pattern is definitely a winner for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both lovely tops and quite different to the stripes and black ones.

    The flowers behind you are beautiful, the colours could be inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, the colours are gorgeous. I love it when the clivias flower :)

      Delete
  8. Super little tops ~ ideal for our coming heat of summer! And your Clivia's look gorgeous in flower, mine are jussstttttttt about to open this week ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith - and enjoy your blooms :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful tops and flowers. I love the feeling of sewing something a second or third time...what is it called? Of yeah, confidence!! Makes my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - sometimes of course you can get a bit too confident...then, whoops!

      Delete
  10. Your tops look great. Looks like spring is well on the way where you are. Our leaves are falling and the central heating switched on today. However, that also means more routine so not all bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - and yes, we are warming up nicely here. I do not envy you the next few cold months.

      Delete
  11. 4 from the same pattern! Excellent work Sarah Liz, the pattern price goes down with every iteration. I like all these but am drawn to the striped one especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - helps pay for the patterns I don't use :)

      Delete
  12. It's definitely a great pattern, no wonder you've made it several times. Both tops look very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a great top.... and one can absolutely never have too many white tops either! Smart to make multiple tops from the same pattern as you've definitely got it down pat. Your outdoor photos are lovely! Good luck with your next assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have really found a great pattern for yourself! I'm enjoying all the different versions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so pretty! It's fun to make four tops with one pattern :) The front slit is such a lovely detail.

    ReplyDelete
  16. White tops are such an essential part of our wardrobes. Do happen to know what the October theme will be? I think I will actually get to participate now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just. I haven't worked out the theme yet - I usually put it up a few days before.

      Delete
  17. You have got yourself a great TNT pattern there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job with the tops! Such a simple basic pattern but they all look different. For your next projects, how about some capri pants for the summer?

    ReplyDelete