Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Do you hate alterations as well?



Do you hate alterations?  I do.  I would much rather make something from scratch than alter RTW garments.  Even if I have to do multiple muslins and have all sorts of sewing issues with making a garment.  Alterations do not appeal.

I've had three shirts that have sat in my wardrobe for at least three years.  Unworn.  Why?  Because I don't like the cuffs on them.

These are summer weight shirts, and I will never wear these with longer sleeves.

So they have sat and sat in the wardrobe.

Because I don't like doing alterations.

But yesterday I did them:

BEFORE:

(I pegged the sleeve up to see if I was going to like the alteration or not).

Two more:



Not the nicest shirts in the world, as they currently are.

But with shorter sleeves, I think I will wear these quite a bit in summer:



They are quite good enough now for casual wear, and I feel so much better - sort of virtuous really, that I have finally done this tedious job.

Do you hate alterations as well?  Would you rather sew a garment from scratch as well ?

Well, Virtue and I will say goodbye for now - on Saturday I will be posting my starry night top (which means I now have to finish it :-)  ).

Sarah Liz











24 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and double yes, I hate alterations, and even more so when they are for somebody else. Funny you are doing sleeves - I have 2 shirts, hardly ever worn, and was thinking of doing the same thing for Summer. Twins!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad - we can be good company for each other :)

      Delete
  2. I hate alterations as well! I am spoiled with the garments made by myself which fit.
    From time to time I have to adjust something for my husband - it take time...
    The bluses you have ajdusted look much better. I hope you are going to wear them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought a few of us might feel this way :). I will wear them now :)

      Delete
  3. Alterations are so hard when you are trying to do them on yourself! I do not mind altering my husband's pants or my son's shirt but I avoid altering things for me.

    If the alterations make you wear them, that is a great investment. Clothes on a hanger that do not get worn are rather sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they sad? I make myself do alterations - and I will do my husbands as well, of course :)

      Delete
  4. Good work Sarah Liz! I hate doing those types of alterations also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Yes!" dislike them intensely. But I finally got around to altering 3 items that had been sitting in my wardrobe a while back, and I have to say that it gave me great satisfaction when then were finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd rather make a new garment than alter that is for sure. Great idea to cut the sleeves off and you now have 3 more blouses for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another in the dislike camp! And yes, some summer tops :)

      Delete
  7. I guess I'm the odd ball. I rather enjoy being able to do my own alterations. The thing I hate most about them is having to pay for it. Having been rail then for most of my young adult life, I relied heavily on alterations to have professional, modest clothes that fit. I seldom purchase ready-to-wear these days but when I do, I am happy to be able to do an alteration if needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I would not pay for alterations either, so I can see how you view alterations, and yes, when young, it is so important to be able to do these jobs in order to look good.

      Delete
  8. Yes, I hate alterations. Could have been me to have the garments in the closets for years and not investing an hour to alter them....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there are quite a few of us like this....

      Delete
  9. I agree I would rather make than made or alter. Though as Mr S is on the short side I do my fair share of alterations. Although I do limit him to having only one garment altered i between makes for myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good strategy Tracy - otherwise it becomes all work :)

      Delete
  10. Alterations is not a fun work but sometime I have to do it, I usually make alterations on husband and kids pants.

    You did a nice work on your shirts and I hope you enjoy wearing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alterations is definitely not as much fun as sewing something new from fabrics. But I'm used to it since I refashion a lot. I have a weird, non-standard body that I have to do lots of alterations with my sewing patterns/muslins anyway. There is just no getting around it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, non standard bodies always need alterations, which is why I prefer to make from scratch. Your refashions always look great :)

      Delete