Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Starry Night Top.



I have recently made a top from a dress pattern in an off white linen and cheesecloth - you can see it here.

 It was quick and simple to make, so I decided to make number 2 this week, which you can see above.

The pattern I used was Vogue 1390, a Sandra Betzina pattern.  I've always thought of Sandra Betzina's styles as a little mature, but really they are quite nice.  Or am I getting a little mature?  Or is it a mixture of old and nice?



That pattern appealed because I had a half metre of 112 craft fabric.  What on earth was I thinking, given this would nowhere near make a top, even for a small person.

 

Well, actually, I was thinking Prada, when she was adding this sort of print to denim jackets,  but I never got around to making that, and then I went off the idea.   Next,  I saw a little shell top in an  Armani Spring/Summer 2013 collection (I am not sure which of his two collections it was in)  that was made in a fabric with a pattern similar to this -only probably silk, not a very wearable everyday cotton type of fabric.  But not even I was going to eek out this small amount of fabric into a shell top, so when I saw this pattern, I knew exactly how to use it.
I had some lovely navy poplin in my stash  and used a very small amount - it's such a gorgeous and well behaved poplin that it has been earmarked for something special, but I don't now what yet.  I lined the bodice, and made the armhole binding from a piece of lawn (also in the stash).

All fabrics were originally from Spotlight.

This is a quick and simple make - especially as the pattern is loose fitting, so no time consuming fitting.

I cut size B, which is about 12 or 34 inch bust.  There is a lot of ease, which I like in summer tops.

Isn't it a super little top - even if I do say so myself :)



The side view shows the straight panels - I did not think these would work, but they do :)


You can certainly see the side panels here, and the overall shape, which is loose. But that is fine for casual summer wear.


And the back view:

I eked out the poplin by adding a seam in the centre back of the yoke instead of cutting it on the fold: 


And although Betzina did not specify top-stitching, I like it, and I think for casual clothes it is a good finish - it looks a little sportier.  Betzina suggested hand stitching the bias armhole facing in place, but I machine stitched it carefully down-  it holds the binding down firmly onto the lining and bodice pieces, instead of being stitched only onto the lining.  Nothing will move or go astray now:

The only other alteration I made was to raise the neckline a tiny bit - I did this by decreasing the seam allowance.  Of course, I tested the size of the hole before finishing the bodice- it's most important with a pull over the head garment like this to make sure it actually does go over the head.  I find that if the hole is too large, garments move around too much and show bra straps. I think this neckline is probably okay if cut to the size of the pattern, but I have made sure :).

For those of you looking forward to seeing the dress I am going to make, that will happen by Christmas, but a few other garments are in the queue first :).

That's it for now, do have a lovely weekend everyone, stay happy and healthy.

Sarah Liz

37 comments:

  1. That's a cute little top Sara! and a good use for small pieces of fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, and all the blues together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice summer top. Love the fabric combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great top, Sara. The fabrics go well together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty top and fabric combination! I am sure you have so much fun wearing it. Can not wait to see the dress version :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet pattern. I absolutely love those pants on you BTW. But I think I said that one other time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I enjoy wearing them too :)

      Delete
  7. This is a pretty pattern. Love the top and the styling with the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marvellous! Love the starry print in such a 'swingy' top

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it is a super little top, and perfect for our Summer. This really is a good use of the pattern too, and very trendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it is on trend, but also something I will like when it is "off trend".

      Delete
  10. Lovely top - the blues look great together. We had to turn back our clocks overnight so different seasonal sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, the seasons are changing .

      Delete
  11. You have a good eye for fabric combining. It does indeed look great for our very hot summers- minimising any fabric- skin contact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and skin -fabric contact minimization was the goal :)

      Delete
  12. That's a really cute outfit Sarah. I've just rediscovered Sandra\s patterns and seam to have used them a lot lately. At the moment I'm making her jeans jacket which is now out of print but is a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I remember that pattern - I wish now that I had purchased it :)

      Delete
  13. Don't you love quick and simple?...add to that cute and interesting with your choice of fabrics! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute.... Love that fabric, and looks great with those pants.
    I so love , quick and simple..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is really cute. I love the side view... a bit swing top like but fitted. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's shaped well for air flow during summer :)

      Delete
  16. I am totally addicted to instant gratification sews....this top highlights that gorgeous fabric so well. You look darling!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful top for warm weather!

    ReplyDelete