This week I kept it simple and made the last of the bottoms for my very casual house wardrobe. I will need to make a smarter casual wardrobe in due course, but the essentials for the last two years have been to make the clothes for house wear - you know, the sort of clothes for the domestic everyday, not the casual going out with family and friends type of casual clothing.
The last edition is a little cotton chambray skirt with pockets and elastic waist. I used Simplicity 2258:
The skirt has side slits, but I decided to put a split at the back as I wanted the side seams to have a flat fell finished look. As the skirt had side slits, the back and front were cut on the CB and CF fold respectively. I only cut the front out on the fold, with the back I added a seam so I could place the back split at the bottom of it.
The pattern had the waistband in two pieces, with joins at the side seams. I cut the waistband in one piece.
Just in case you are wondering, the fabric came from Spotlight years ago - I stash when they have anything remotely good. I still have a few metres of this put away - it's a nice weight for summer clothes. It is not easy to get these very nice fabrics nowadays in Australia.
Now the front, side and back views:
I'll quickly show you some of the inside of this garment:
The pocket (yes, I know this is still the outside of the garment):
Flipping the skirt over, you can see the pocket was cut in one piece and folded to the side - I really like this method - it eliminates the extra (and curved) seam of the traditional pocket bag:
And with the back flap facing for the split at the back of the skirt, I always alter pattern pieces to a curved shape, instead of the usual sharp angled shapes. I do this as I usually overlock (serge) the edges and overlockers prefer curves to sharp corners. I know you can cut into corners, but this method also works - and is great if you can't cut into corners. Have a look inside RTW skirts and you will often see curved edges instead of angular ones for seams that are going to be overlocked (serged).
For the false flat fell seam - by which I mean a seam finish that looks like a flat fell seam without the turning in of the seam, which adds bulk - especially around pockets where there is also the pocket stay tape to consider- I use this method.
I trim the back seam allowance to about 1/4 inch (about 2/3 cm).
And voila: The result:
That's it for Simplicity 2258. This is a pattern that will certainly use again :).
I received an email today from the university. I have passed my two subjects at Credit level. I am more relieved than anything else. I have not studied for a eighteen months and was a little out of touch, plus all the changes over the last 18 months have had their effect as well - so I am happy with this mark, all things considered- I can sit higher on the mark scale , but I did have some study adjustments to make. A break from study, a new institution and new subjects - one that I really did not want to do (hideously boring) and one totally new to me (psychometric testing) but not to anyone from that institution. Not all institutions seem to do Psychometric Testing, but this one does, so I had not done the preliminaries - this always sets you back. The other subject was just plain boring but essential -assessing research, the rules (ethics) of the game, how we are supposed to behave etc. Dry as a bone, but behind me now. Phew, as I say, relief. Over now until next year. Just have all the practice work to get in order now :)
A nice stir fry tonight to celebrate I think. I am not known to be much of a party animal :)
Do have a good week everyone, wherever you are,