Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2014

A little Summer Skirt - Simplicity 2258


This week I kept it simple and made the last of the bottoms for my very casual house wardrobe.  I will need to make a smarter casual wardrobe in due course, but the essentials for the last two years have been to make the clothes for house wear - you know, the sort of clothes for the domestic everyday, not the casual going out with family and friends type of casual clothing.

The last edition is a little cotton chambray skirt with pockets and elastic waist.  I used Simplicity 2258:

 I have tried for months to buy this pattern in size 6-8-10-12, but my local shop just has not stocked it for as long as I have looked (months).   Many people in this town are quite large boned and I suspect the local Spotlight  stocks mostly the larger sizes.  In the end I purchased size 14 - 22.  As this is just a straight skirt with elastic, I knew that I could just move the pieces at the CB and CF  and take out the extra width there. The pockets did not need to be altered.  I cut my standard just below the knee length - I have discolouration on my knees and prefer to keep that hidden.  I also omitted the drawstring tie - it just adds bulk at the front, and usually I wear a top over my skirt, not under it.  I only do this to show you what the garment is like.

The skirt has side slits, but I decided to put a split at the back as I wanted the side seams to have a flat fell finished look.  As the skirt had side slits, the back and front were cut on the CB and CF fold respectively.  I only cut the front out on the fold, with the back I added a seam so I could place the  back split at the bottom of it.

The pattern had the waistband in two pieces, with joins at the side seams.  I cut the waistband in one piece.

Just in case you are wondering, the fabric came from Spotlight years ago - I stash when they have anything remotely good.  I still have a few metres of this put away - it's a nice weight for summer clothes.  It is not easy to get these very nice fabrics nowadays in Australia.

Now the front, side and back views:


I'll quickly show you some of the inside of this garment:

The pocket (yes, I know this is still the outside of the garment):


Flipping the skirt over, you can see the pocket was cut in one piece and folded to the side - I really like this method - it eliminates the extra (and curved) seam of the traditional pocket bag:

Isn't that a neat way of making a pocket?

And with the back flap facing for the split at the back of the skirt, I always alter pattern pieces to a curved shape, instead of the usual sharp angled shapes.  I do this as I usually overlock (serge) the edges and overlockers prefer curves to sharp corners.  I know you can cut into corners, but this method also works - and is great if you can't cut into corners.  Have a look inside RTW skirts and you will often see curved edges instead of angular ones for seams that are going to be overlocked (serged).


For the false flat fell seam - by which I mean a seam finish that looks like a flat fell seam without the turning in of the seam, which adds bulk - especially around pockets where there is also the pocket stay tape to consider- I use this method.

 I trim the back seam allowance to about 1/4 inch (about 2/3 cm). 


Then I press the seam, first this way:

And then this way:

So you get this:

Then I overlock (serge)  the wider edge:

Next I top stitch the seam - I am going to do this outside so that a slight channel effect occurs:

(Yes, I do move my finger out of the way!! and normally I don't hold a seam like this, but I had stopped to take the photo, and the seam was wanting to roll back :).  My foot was off the pedal).

And voila:  The result:

Simplicity 2258 is a nice little pattern.  The only problem potentially is the curve on the pockets - it feels a little deep - I did tension it, but I think in future I will redraw this curve and make is a little straighter.


That's it for Simplicity 2258.  This is a pattern that will certainly use again :).

*****

I received an email today from the university.  I have passed my two subjects at Credit level.  I am more relieved than anything else.  I have not studied for a eighteen months and was a little out of touch, plus all the changes over the last 18 months have had their effect as well - so I am happy with this mark, all things considered- I can sit higher on the mark scale , but I did have some study  adjustments to make.  A break from study, a  new institution and  new subjects - one that I really did not want to do (hideously boring) and one totally new to me (psychometric testing) but not to anyone from that institution.   Not all institutions seem to do Psychometric Testing, but this one does, so I had not done the preliminaries - this always sets you back. The other subject was just plain boring but essential -assessing research,  the rules (ethics)  of the game, how we are supposed to behave etc.   Dry as a bone, but behind me now.  Phew, as I say, relief.  Over now until next year.  Just have all the practice work to get in order now :)

A nice stir fry tonight to celebrate I think.  I am not known to be much of a party animal :)

Do have a good week everyone, wherever you are,

Sarah Liz






31 comments:

  1. Great little skirt, Sarah Liz and a couple of very good sewing hints. I think I have a Simplicity pattern for long pants which has that type of pocket. I've not used it yet but it is useful to have. Nice to know study is behind you for the rest of the year. More time for sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - yes, these sorts of pockets seem to be in the New Look and Simplicity patterns.

      Delete
  2. First of all congratulations on your results. Credit is still an excellent mark as my first year uni daughter is finding-quite different to secondary school. Secondly you have done well with your skirt too. Denim skirts are invaluable -they go with everything. I too find it hard to find good denim ( I only have one piece left ) .the combination of the curved for pockets and your seam finishes are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine - I am sure your daughter is finding many changes between Uni and School - a very different world, and the start of the next step toward adulthood. It is hard to find nice fabrics nowadays.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your coursework and grades. I love the simple denim skirt, and appreciate the sewing tips. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done with your uni results... it's such a great feeling to have done well and have 3 months of summer with no uni commitments!
    I have this skirt pattern on my to do list... I made one ages ago but wrong fabric choice made it a donate item. Have some nice rayon waiting for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, it will be nice to have three months break - you know, the sort we ladies use to catch up with all the other jobs so that you go back to study to have a rest :)

      Delete
  5. Oh sorry forgot to say your skirt looks great. It is a good pattern, easy and versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for a break with coursework and good marks! I can remember the flood of relief to know it is done and you can focus you energy on something else (sewing maybe???).

    The skirt has the easy casual vibe to it so that it is probably a welcome addition to your everyday wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - casual is much needed in the laid back town in which I live - took me a while to get used to it:).

      Delete
  7. Nice skirt and I am sure you will get much wear from it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on your credits. Lovely skirt and I do the same with the curving when overlocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay - and yes, it's the only way to do this sort of edge.

      Delete
  9. Congrats!!

    Love the simple, easy to wear skirt. It is a great length and has pockets(!) and looks cool and easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - and yes the skirt is all of those things :)

      Delete
  10. Perfect flare on this skirt. The #2 appeal of your blog to me is the details and tips on the patterns you use. The #1, is that you are currently creating the At Home wardrobe. I read once that you should dress at home as if your ex-boyfriend from 7 years ago just knocked on your door. You have shown me that comfort is not synonymous with big and baggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ash - I try and put hints and tips on the blog, but that is sometimes dependent on other demands in life :).

      Delete
  11. Congratulations!

    Love to see the finished skirt, it looks so wearable and pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on your results and you have a very cute skirt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! Thank you for taking the time to write and photograph how you made the false flat fell seams on your cute new skirt. That's a technique I want to try soon. Your skirt turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all congratulations! Well Done :)
    And also a lovely skirt. Great photos and instruction on construction too. Love this post x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job on finishing your subjects! What a smart idea to make a wardrobe for wearing at home. You did a great job on that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on a successful year. A well deserved summer break!
    I love the idea of a home wardrobe. I've had quite a problem switching from my professional wardrobe, though it had e lot more casual over the years for ordinary clinical work, to the retired bridge playing golfer wardrobe and I don't have enough 'smart casual' for going out when not golfing or enough suitable but reasonably smart stuff for being at home. I find a lot of the patterns too 'dressy' and others too casual - there's no pleasing me it seems! I'm trying to plan what I make and realise that I'll have to include a home wardrobe. Nice skirt, like the colour and shape.

    ReplyDelete