Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Two new striped skirts


As I had a run of mistakes last week, I think as much as anything because I was tired, I decided to keep it simple this week and have a success :).

I was also determined not to let two lengths of material leftover from an earlier project be added to the stash.  some fabrics are of the moment and these pieces are in that category.  I used my TNT elastic waist pattern, Kwik Sew 3765, as I knew I would get a quick, simple, successful sewing exercise completed.


So, a few hours and then two smart skirts for casual wear.  The first is in a teal stripe:



And the second is in a blue stripe:




Well, there is not much to say on this blog post - a quick simple sew, and two new skirts that will work for errands or dressed up with a jacket.

Over the last two years I have been working on a wardrobe of casual basics as I really didn't have much in the way of casual clothes.  I had shabby remains of working clothes, but really, they don't make you feel good when you wear them.  My new casual wardrobe is designed for a more relaxed lifestyle that is the norm in the regional town were I live, but is  smart enough for my classic tendencies.

I have one more gap in my casual skirt wardrobe, and that is a little chambray skirt.  Next week I plan to make Simplicity 2258, with a slight variation of back split instead of side splits.  I'll be making a knee length skirt.

Don't the pockets look great?

*****
I had a gorgeous lucky find this week - a beautiful wool flannel in a local Op Shop (thrift store).  It is a lovely pink /grey colouring - it is more pink, and is just the right shade to suit me.  I checked it and it had no moth holes and didn't even smell musty, so it came home with me:


I was quite thrilled to find this - isn't it a lovely  feeling when you unexpectedly happen upon a great fabric at a really nice price in an unexpected place? 

I hope I can spread the luck around and wish you all the best with your sewing and fabric finds :)

Sarah Liz





32 comments:

  1. Love your skirts..Both look so comfortable and nice.
    What a great find on thefabric.. That skirt pattern is my favorite..Cant wait to see it. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - yes, the pocket skirt is a lovely pattern :)

      Delete
  2. The skirts look lovely, a good use of your leftover fabric. I made a jacket with some pink/grey fabric years ago. I looked a lot like yours but I don't think it was wool flannel. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, Great Find with the pink flannel - I'd have grabbed that too!
    Your new skirts look really cute and pretty, making me think I need to make a few also. And I really like the last pattern with the pockets; hope we see that one made up as well. Happy Sewing, Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patricia - thank you, and elastic waist skirts are so simple to make for around the house.

      Delete
  4. Lovely skirts, an easy quick sew with left over material sounds the perfect antidote when things have been going wrong. Love the fabric find such a gorgeous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They both look great. The wool is an awesome find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially like the second striped print! Great idea,working on a casual wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda - yes, casual tends to be last on the list, but it is so essential :)

      Delete
  7. Oh that is a lovely find Sarah! I so know how you feel about wanting to build a chic casual wardrobe. I've now been at it for 11 years and almost feel like I could write a book on the subject! Your skirts are great additions to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana - and I can well believe it takes years to sew a great chic casual wardrobe - and to replace it as well :)

      Delete
  8. Cute and flirty skirts! I love the pattern you are tackling next...I have three patterns with those pockets, and love constructing them. It's nice to wear casual clothing which is well made, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - yes, pockets can be quite fun to make :)

      Delete
  9. A couple of lovely skirts there. They will be wonderful for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely skirts! How wonderful to have a TNT pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it really is the simplest pattern :)

      Delete
  11. Love your new skirts and elastic waist just cannot be beat in my humble opinion. I really like your next skirt pattern coming up - yes! Love the pockets! Great find on the fabric. Looks like your sewing mojo is back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I agree, no-one sees them, they are comfortable and simple to make - for quick sews and quick wardrobe building they are ideal :)

      Delete
  12. Great score on the fabric Sarah Liz!

    Really cute skirts too. Can't wait to see the next skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what cute fun skirts! I've had maxie skirts on my mind for a quick fix of awwww that turned out nice lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - we all need quick fix projects sometimes :)

      Delete
  14. Love both the skirts, they are so cute and wearable :) You are lucky to find that fabric, I love the color and I am sure you will make something nice with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - I try to make wearable clothes, especially for casual :)

      Delete
  15. Isn't it nice to have a causal wardrobe that's not filled with ratty clothes? Great skirts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Roz, my thoughts too - some ratty stuff will soon be put in the bin :)

      Delete
  16. Great skirts and fantastic that you have got your casual wardrobe sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing find with that op shop fabric! I have found amazing fabrics at my local thrift store too (but usually they smell a bit musty).

    ReplyDelete