Pages

Saturday, December 6, 2014

A few days away...


I go to Adelaide once a year for business and personal reasons.  DH sometimes comes, but sometimes doesn't, depending on his responsibilities, obligations and demands.  This year he could.  I suggested we call into Melbourne for a day or so, on the way, so I could buy some stash and look at the Gaultier exhibition.

This trip was spontaneously planned, so apologies to anyone in Melbourne - I did not have time to let anyone know, and not much time there in any case to meet you.  Next time - Melbourne is only a short flight away from Newcastle :).  It takes longer to get into Melbourne from the Tullamarine Airport than it does to fly there :).

Stash was purchased from three discount shops on Sydney Road, Brunswick.  These were Anne's Discount Fabrics @ 363 Sydney Road, Brunswick Fabrics @ 383 Sydney Road, and  Unique Fabrics @ 396 Sydney Road.

I purchased viscose  knits in colours that suited me :


Thick plain cotton  knits (some with lycra)  for winter:


And some three patterned  knits, also in cotton (some with lycra):

Some lovely linen:


And a length of lightweight dress/blouse fabric in colours that suit me:


Plus a small amount of wool, I bought 1.2 thinking it would be good for the popular Rachel Comey skirt (V1247).

*****
We also visited the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibition that is currently showing at the National Gallery of Victoria.
This was an immersive exhibition with the dummies appearing to come to life and talk.  DH worked out how - there is a projector projecting the images onto the mannequins, presumably with sound track.

Phone photos seemed to be allowed.  Gaultier "Himself" welcomed you to the show - you can't see it here on a moment in time photo, but the eyes and mouths of these mannequins appeared to open and close.  Quite a few of the exhibits were staged this way.
 Gaultier loved his grandmere very much, and was quite intrigued by her clothes and underwear, and that started a long fascination with corsetry.   This is one of them - finished with bits of raffia and wheat:

 Gaultier has plundered so many ideas and made them his - in this picture you can see the "Can Can dress" - the ruffled petticoat is on the outside, with the inside showing multiple images of kicking legs.  Behind this you can see one of his men's suits - just look at the cut and hang - perfect.  His workshop certainly knows what it is doing.
Well, after this immersive experience, it was time to fly off to quiet, quaint Adelaide... 
***** 
The piece de resistance awaited  in little old Adelaide, the small  city in the provinces, frequently scorned but much loved by all of us who have lived there.  It's such a nice place to live in - small, easy to get around, friendly.
The Art Gallery of South Australia is currently collaborating with the Musee les Arts decoratifs and is hosting an exhibition called "Fashion Icons".  Ninety outfits are currently on exhibition - according to a friendly gallery guide, two had their own passports, but he had no idea how or why!  Adelaide's exhibition was a lot more conventional than the interactive Gaultier exhibition, but then this was a story of high couture and it's evolution into forms we currently know - how couture has merged and morphed with RTW.  Gaultier of course was a lot more streetwise and entered the scene during this trajectory, and plunders from the street and the mass,  from old techniques and historical clothing including corsets, and utilising new materials.  The Fashion Icons exhibition traces the main ideas that would also have influenced Gaultier, through the 50's to today. 
For those of you interested in the details of this exhibition, here is a pdf  catalogue I found on the internet:
http://www.lastminute.com.au/dms/site/adelaide-barossa/fashion-icons.pdf?cid=social:t:lmau:retail:to:SM8019  .

There is also a dedicated site hosted by the AGSA about the exhibition that can be found here: http://fashionicons.com.au/
Unfortunately, I could not take any photos as this was not allowed.  There are some on the internet, so just to give you a flavour:
 And a Christian Lacroix dress I have always wanted to see:


 And now I have!

Before I go, I just want to share with you this thought.  Most of us who sew at home tend to be overly critical of ourselves, and even think of ourselves as lesser beings in the fashion hierarchy.  Not so - the fashion world in Paris lists the four levels as Haute Couture, Couture, Paper patterns and Dressmaking (US!!!!) and Pret a Porter (Ready to wear).

Do have a lovely weekend everyone, wherever you are.

Sarah Liz.



33 comments:

  1. Nice fabric haul Sarah. Bet you really enjoyed the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Seeing those garments up close must have been amazing!

    Lovely fabrics too. Really love the linens and the prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, it's always fantastic getting a little close up on these sorts of garments isn't it?

      Delete
  3. I would totally wear that last dress posted. Thank goodness I don't have an occasion, or I'd be inclined to reproduce it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I can imagine you doing that Marjorie :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the perfect break, you have some lovely fabric to add to your stash and lots of inspiration too. I like your last comment. Your right we should see ourselves as sitting above RTW and perhaps inspiring to couture rather than comparing ourselves to RTW and comparing and settling to be as good as RTW - when with unique choices of fabric, pattern and persnal fit we are already better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a lovely break - and I quite agree with your thoughts :)

      Delete
  5. Such a nice trip! Thanks for sharing those exhibit pictures, wonderful!
    And of course fabric is the best souvenir to bring home ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just Marianne? Yes, we do get exhibitions here - but often I so envy you all in Europe who have so much more to access. Still, our weather is good - we can't have it all, can we? :)

      Delete
  6. What an excellent few days!

    Haven't been to those shops for some time. Must get on my bike! Also looking forward to the Gaultier exhibition soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great shops to visit, glad I reminded you of their existence :)

      Delete
  7. What an excellent post about a lovely trip, Sarah Liz. Your stash purchases have me salivating, the Gaultier looks fun and exciting, and the Fashion Icons is a show I would adore. Thank you for sharing with us all. Love the last quote and I know what you mean: sometimes I feel I am dressing 'cheaply' by making my clothes to fit myself. But now I know I am on the hierarchy, and not at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would enjoy Fashion Icons :)

      Delete
  8. What an interesting few days for you. Thanks for those extra fabric shops in Melbourne. Last time I was in Melbourne I tried to find one on Sydney Street but couldn't find any... it's a long street and I was out of time.
    I'm going to Melbourne in a couple of weeks with a friend from Adelaide. We are going to Gaultier but I didn't know about the Adelaide show. Shame she won't be there for me to get there too.
    We custom make clothes for ourselves so, agreed, it has to be better than RTW...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets quite confusing trying to find the shops, as Sydney Rd is quite long. You need to be near the first Victoria St/Sydney Rd intersection - the Victoria Rd closest to Melbourne.

      Delete
  9. Lovely fabrics. I'm looking forward to see what you make with them. I'm enjoying the exhibits vicariously! Perhaps that should be virtually! I was interested to read in one of my books that there are different 'blocks' for different markets - like the different levels in the fashion hierarchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virturally and vicariously perhaps? Yes, different markets have different sizes - 10 for upmarket is quite different from 10 for downmarket RTW.

      Delete
  10. nice color choices, can't wait to see you in the prints we rarely see you in print lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helen - no, I don't wear prints often, mostly because they don't like me!

      Delete
  11. So happy you and hubby got to enjoy a trip away.. always so nice.. and what lovely fabrics you found.. Know you will make some lovely garments .. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks. I live only a couple of hours away from M elbourne and didn't know about any of those shops or the show ! Sounds like you had a lovely break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could let you know about the shops :)

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man how I wish the Gaultier exhibit was showing at the gallery when I was there! Thank you for sharing some pictures of what looks like a most divine exhibit!

    As for the fabric...drooooooooool. =) Since I'm on a fast, I have to get my fix from everyone else's purchases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you while I was there - thinking about how much you would have liked it!

      Hmm, if you need to get a fix from my purchases - I better qet some more :)

      Delete
  15. This is a wonderful post! Thank you for taking us along and explaining the exhibitions to us. What a wonderful time you and your husband enjoyed together. And what nice additions you've got for your stash! Look forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I'm glad you enjoyed it:) The stash will probably sit quietly for a while until the right moments arrive :)

      Delete
  16. What fabulous fabrics. I think i will duck down to Melbourne to see the Gaultier exhibition and maybe duck to those fabric stores. I really like Adelaide my son lived there when he was in the army such a lovely city. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy - do enjoy yourself if you go :).

      Delete
  17. I enjoyed this post and thank you for sharing some detail of the exhibition.
    Glad you had a lovely break and ohh... I love all your pretty fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete