Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Getting Ready for 2015

This week has not been a good week for sewing, and next week doesn't look much better. Still, some weeks are like that.

I don't like it when weeks go like that but I try and make the most of it.  So in between the distractions of life I have been pulling out ideas for my 2015 sewing sessions.

I need a cotton dress, and think I will use this pattern:

New Look 6080
I want to make it in a navy cotton that lives in my stash.  It's been pre-shrunk this week.  Next week the muslin will be done.

And in no particular order, but on the list of essentials are a pair of cool pants for summer, and thicker pants for winter.  This pattern has wider leg pants which are great for summer, and more tapered pants which will work for winter:



I don't feel inclined to rush this project - and I am not sure when I will start. Sometime in January I think.  The fabrics are stashed and already shrunk.

While I was going through patterns and stash, I found some bits of poplin that were rescued from a dress that became a wadder, sometime in my pre-blog past.  I looked at the shapes, and they looked as though they would work for a gored skirt.  I rummaged through the pattern stash and found this:

Vogue 7937.
  
I love the look of this pattern, but when I looked at the pattern pieces I could see that the cut really is for an hour glass/pear with small waist and larger hips, 9 inches below waist.  I'm chunky around the middle, with a large high hip/tummy and tiny hips.  So a further rummage made this the pattern of choice:
Burda 6895.
I downloaded the pattern pictures from Pattern Review ; unfortunately the photo process there seems to chop of the bottom of the Burda Pattern pictures. Anyway, as you can see from the line drawing, the hip line is quite high in this skirt, and the waist is not too indented.  I think this shape might work for me, so I am going to trial the short version.  Except I will make it a bit longer.

It will be wonderful to use the wadded fabric - I hate wasting good material.

I also want to trial a couple of top patterns.  I like this little Simplicity top:

Simplicity 1316.
I've already made the muslin and it looks good.  I'm not sure what fabric I will use yet, so it will be off to the stash to choose one soon.

I also love this little dress (View B, sleeves)

Burda 6914.

I'm going to trial it as a top first, to see how the neck feels.  It looks high to me, and might not be comfortable.  I've made the muslin up but haven't tried it on yet.  It may be one of those garments that needs the right fabric and the right occasion.  Sometimes I have made things up just because I wanted to trial them and get them off the list, only to not wear them because they don't work in my life or wardrobe.  I want to eliminate these sorts of mistakes this year.

I may also make another knit top using this pattern:

Kwik Sew  3036
Kwik Sew 3036
I have been looking for months and months and months for a summer weight cotton knit that isn't see through.  I finally found it at Remnant Warehouse.  It was an online purchase and I had no idea what weight it would be, but hooray, when it arrived, it was perfect.  Happy Smile!

*****

Of course, with the Remnant Warehouse  recent 25% off sale, I've  been busy stashing instead of sewing.  Strategic stashing of course :).  I shop with them online - it's a bit hit and miss as you can't tell the texture of the fabric, nor can you assess it's feel until you get it.  But I just keep an open mind - it's quite fun, sort of like a lucky dip, and sooner or later it will be just right for something :). I've shopped with them enough to know that their fabrics are all lovely, and a good price.

I now have a good selection of stash, which really helps me to start wardrobe planning and sewing with more of a purpose.  Living in Newcastle, I have been restricted to Spotlight basics, and really, there is a limit to what you can do with cheap craft cotton.   Now that my casual wardrobe is about finished, I want to start making quality garments.  I started with casual clothes because that got my sewing skills sharpened after a ten year sewing hiatus.  

Some of it even is even patterned.  I find it difficult to find fabrics in colours and patterns that suit me.  


This one works as it is an abstract, linear pattern in cooler colours.  Some of you have commented I don't wear pattern much, but I do find most patterns just do not like me:)

Speaking of stash, next year I must go on a Stash Diet.  I need to clear out the excess and fabrics I don't like, and only buy bits that work back and that I like, .    Some nourishment is after all needed, and if I purge, I can treat myself.  Rewards are a very good incentive :)

I am also going to keep track of what I use and what I spend.  I keep meaning to, but this year other priorities in my personal life intervened.  I know I have stashed too much, so I want to see how much I recoup in garments over the next year or so.   Quite a bit I suspect, as I find it hard to buy clothes that fit, especially in Newcastle, where obesity is quite prevalent.   So the market caters to larger people here.  It is also not a quality market, so I don't like the clothes in any case.  

And when I go away, I don't have time to shop for clothes.  It's just not on my priority list.  

So it's time to up the ante and Sew my Stash into my Style during 2015.

Those are my plans.  What are yours?

Sarah Liz


25 comments:

  1. You might not be sewing (but who is, right before Christmas?), but you are planning very well for 2015, Sarah Liz. I see a couple of really nice dresses in those patterns, and cute tops. I am stash busting these days, but plan to try a couple of skirts in 2015. Like you, I have a bigger waist, smaller hips, and most skirt patterns are hopeless. But we never give up? Happy Christmas to you and HB, and a great 2015, and thank you for your blog friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the rectangle figure - isn't it a trial? Yes, sewing is hit and miss at the moment, but I'm determined to make something this week :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your 2015 sewing plans. I need to start a list for myself for 2015, I may or may not start with everything I had on my 2014 list that didn't get done! Like you, I am also aiming on keeping better track of the fabric in and out. Maybe a spreadsheet? I have an idea in my head, just haven't done anything about it yet.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eternal list of things we never quite get around to :). Sometimes I have to scratch mine and start again, especially when it is about a decade old :)

      Delete
  3. nice patetrn choices! looks like you've got a good plan going, I've got the top pattern NL6080, I've had it forever! maybe I'll sew along with you lol! Happy sewing!

    Helen

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen - it's a pretty top, so yes, a little sew a long might be needed :)

      Delete
  4. Sarahliz, Love your plans for 2015.Best wishes in your school work, your sewing ... Prayers for a great year.. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you no sewing here but you have some very nice patterns lined you for 2015.

    The night shirts for your DH look very impressive and you have been busy adding to the stash with some gorgeous fabrics.

    Wishing you and your DH a wonderful Christmas and all the very best for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have been busy, I know.

      Thank you for the comment about DH's nightshirts - and there is nothing quite like building the stash in sewing down times, is there?

      Delete
  6. Oh, these are marvelous plans. I love following your sewing because you start with "I need a cotton dress". I am so over sewing a pattern up just because everyone else is doing so. I have committed to sewing with a plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all fall into the everyone else in sewing blog land is sewing it so I will too trap. I am going to try to avoid that next year :)

      Delete
  7. I like the look of your patterns for next year. Good luck with them. I have the Vogue skirt pattern 7937 - but I'm pear shaped with rather high hips and a smaller waist so that should suit me. Another thing I haven't got around to this year! I was sewing until a few minutes ago, (desperately) finishing a blouse for my daughter to take to her tomorrow. Too many firsts for a task that had to be rushed in the end. My plans for next year, though, are for more selfish sewing! I want to do a lot of basics that I will really wear, with an emphasis on trousers. I just got an order from a company that caters for tall women - and everything is going back! That's not unusual, though. From one Newcastle to another ... Merry Christmas and happy sewing in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pattern may suit you - but do muslin first (I know you do that). With so many seams it will be easy to alter to fit. I know you have been wanting to sew trousers, so I hope you do manage to make a pair that work next year.

      Delete
  8. Well thats a decent line up for next year! What I would like to tackle is another pair of pants, still fighting the perfect fit, then swimwear as well. I have size 12 at the bottom and size 16 on top. Rather hopeless finding a pair that fits. I would also like to make a bra, will have to search for some suitable fabric, notions and pattern. As you can see a few challenges lined up.
    Have a lovely christmas and good sewing for 2015!
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, those perfect fit pants - I think a few of us are after those :) You do have some challenges - I have yet to venture into the bra making waters - another year or so, I think :)

      Delete
  9. Its sounds like you will be off to a fantastic 2015 sewing start and shopping in your fabric stash to boot. Wishing you and your husband wonderful holidays SarahLiz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be - I find with a plan you actually tend to get on with things a bit more than waiting for inspiration to strike. Wishing you happy holidays too :)

      Delete
  10. You have great plans for the new year!!! I wish I could be so dedicated to planning...but I know myself now and I almost never stick to a sewing plan. Have a lovely Christmas Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margo - and we are all different, some of us stick to plans, and some prefer to go with the flow. It doesn't matter, whatever works for the person concerned :). Merry Xmas to you as well Margo.

      Delete
  11. Your plans are impressive and sounds like you are off to a great start for 2015! Wishing you and your husband a wonderful Christmas! Look forward to seeing your new makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - a plan makes for smooth sailing, I think, but this is not the recipe for all people. Merry Xmas to you and yours as well, Lisa :)

      Delete
  12. You are so far ahead of me! I am just trying to keep my head above water. As always, SarahLiz, you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessed this was the case with you right now - teaching and family and Xmas would keep you busy. During my mid years it was all I could do to keep my head above water too. Just take it slowly, a bit at a time.

      Delete