Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Here's to a Happy New Year ...and a Retrospective glance at 2014.

Jacket, Marcy Tilton - Vogue 8982, Pants, Burda 6895
The first two years of my blog have been fairly ordinary as far as sewing and style are concerned.  I've very much concentrated on building a wardrobe of  very casual clothes and also some basics.  The jacket above was a break from that routine, and I love it.

I also love my casual clothes, especially my summer dresses.  This one of course was an unexpected surprise winner, made out of blue linen (only I didn't realise that at the time, I thought it was just a cheap Op Shop cotton):

New Look 6080.

The other two winners that come out on a regular basis (like yesterday for instance - basically a home day with a visit to the optician as well - so something that would work for both parameters was needed):

Burda 7066

Burda 7066.
I even wore these dresses when I went to Adelaide - and Adelaide can get quite cool during November evenings, so I even wore them with leggings - and I vowed never to wear leggings!  Mind you, they are useful in these situations - they don't take up much room in the luggage (or add too much weight) and you can put them on and off whenever you need to.

All three dresses have pockets - well worth the extra time and effort.

And I'm really glad I made some basic pants - five pairs of them - two black, one marine, one black and white check, and one in black crepe:

Kwik Sew 2960.
Hmmm, I'm glad I don't do the singlet look in real life - it's not quite my thing - but perfect for showing off the pants.

In fact, I think all my completed garments were winners (and if you want to see them all, look at the Gallery).

HOWEVER.....

THE BIGGEST WINNER(S) HAVE TO BE THE TWO NIGHTSHIRTS I MADE FOR MY HUSBAND.

Simplicity 2317.

He loves them - he was absolutely thrilled. So it looks as though I'll have to make more one day :)

*****
I didn't really have losers this year but I have had two misadventures:

Kwik Sew 3765.

Yes, my little elastic waist bar code skirt.  After I had both made and posted this skirt I notice that I had made a mistake.  The sort of mistake an experienced sewer should not make.  But I did.  This fabric actually had a one way pattern, with a more writing the right side up going one way up the fabric but not the other.  Luckily, the wrong way also had numbers the right way up.  But still!!!

My excuse was I had just resumed  studying after an 18 month break and had so much other stuff going on in my head that  concentration just wasn't in the sewing headspace at all.

DH and I discusssed at length and we both thought that with bar codes there isn't really a right way up because they scan in all directions. And besides, in a post modern world, perhaps there is no such thing as rules, and grand sewing narratives, and a right way up in fabric in any case.  So I am wearing it quite happily.

So far, no-one else has noticed, so there you are :).

And the second misadventure:

Top: Kwik Sew 3036.
Yes, my new roll neck knit top - I wore it out for the first time when DH and I went out for dinner.  After I washed it, I noticed a small grease stain was on the front.  I tackled it with some sard, but it didn't come out.

So I tackled it with my heavy duty stain remover.  Now, stain removers always tell you to test first, but I never do - after years of no mishaps, I have decided that nothing happens with this stuff to the detriment of the fabric.

WRONG!!  SOMETHING HAPPENED...

Yes, the stain remover not only removed the stain, it removed a two inch circle of dye.  I now had a bright pink two inch blotch in the middle of the top.

I would rather have had the small stain.

Ahhh well, lesson learnt.   And this gives me a wonderful excuse to make this top up again:).

Always the sewing optimist!

Talking of sewing optimism, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your wonderful company this year, and I look forward to another sewing year with you all.

And I want to wish you a year of sewing lots of winners.

And of course, good health, blessings and happiness for all of you and your loved ones.


See you the other side,

Sarah Liz



15 comments:

  1. Happy New Year ~ may 2015 be yet another brilliant sewing year for you ... J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo, I'd been wondering about your husband's nightshirts!!! Aren't those kind of 'surprises' fun?! You've had a great year, and you've been a great inspiration to me. Have a wonderful Happy New Year and looking forward to seeing what you make in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!! I am with you, I never test stain removers. I share in your one-way print mishap -- I did it with a print on a pair of PJ pants for my son. Luckily, he still wears them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am a one for mishaps like this - including always getting grubby when I wear a white top :)

      Delete
  4. You had a wonderful year Sarah Liz and your husband two nice surprise nightshirts. Here is to a fantastic 2015! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah liz, you have made some gorgeous things, But, I love all the basics that you do too.. I love sewing basics that really get used..Not jus hung in the closets.ha
    The jacket is gorgeous, and the style looks great on you.. Happy sewing 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - yes, no point making things that will remain unworn - although sometimes it does happen :)

      Delete
  6. Looking good SarahLiz! Love your trousers - that's my aim this year - lots of pants... But I said that last year too ;-)

    Hoping 2015 is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, join me this year because I also have pants plans :)

      Delete
  7. I really like your jacket! This year I'm planning more jackets, I feel they transform wearing clothes to wearing an outfit. If I had more time... Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I agree - that third piece really pulls things together :)

      Delete
  8. Some lovely clothes there Sarah Liz. Why don't you try putting some more random stain remover and have a pink dot top.

    ReplyDelete