No, it's a Christmas gift for DH - a Nightshirt made my me :). I noticed that DH's nightshirts were looking a little old and tired. I was also trying to find a present for him. Now, he is at the age and stage (as am I) where he does not need anything more - we really need to start getting rid of stuff. So I thought that making him a new nightshirt would solve two problems - no more unneeded junk coming into the house, and a useful present to boot.
Luckily DH is doing the medical cover this weekend - he doesnt think he is so lucky, but I am, because I could get busy sewing all weekend to finish the Nightshirt Job:).
The fabric used was one of the Spots and Stripes range of cotton poplin that Spotlight sells. I used Simplicity pattern 2317:
The pocket on the pattern was smaller than that on the old nightshirt, so I made the seams smaller and that rectified that problem :).
Otherwise, I made the pattern up as instructed, except I omitted interfacing the collars, cuffs and facings. This is because the old RTW nightshirt did not have any. I did not think the added layer was needed - in a nightshirt, softness is needed. The only problem DH has had with the RTW nightshirt is buttons pulling through the un-interfaced fabric, or a buttonhole tearing through. I patch these with some ingenuity.
So, for this nightshirt I did place interfacing into the button and buttonhole areas. That should solve the problem of tearing and pulling through.
I wasn't sure where to start the buttons or if the pocket placement would be okay:
I think that the placement of top button and pocket should meet with approval - I also think the lapel should meet with approval as well :).
The sleeves on the old nightshirt are narrower at the cuff than the new nightshirt; however, some of DH's nightshirts have this width of sleeve.
The only part that was tricky was the collar. I was blithely sewing along when I realised I had not made a collar that did not have a back facing before. I was not entirely happy with the method that the pattern used, but made the most of it - lots of poking and prodding of bits that did not want to go in, and a hefty sewing down solved the situation:
Now, for the views:
The lapel and collar:
Which look fine without interfacing - and poplin is a very tight, close, firm fabric as well.
And yes, the stripes do match up!
Before I did the buttonholes and sewed on the buttons I applied interfacing to those areas:
(I also used bigger buttons than the pattern and respaced the buttonholes to match the RTW nightshirt).
Then did the buttonholes and the buttons:
(I forgot to crop the top of this picture - now you can see why I use a screen - bookcases are not the best backdrop for photos - and the picture is downright distracting as well - its a place we went to in New Zealand - DH is very sentimental and likes holiday souvenirs. He's the romantic in our household, and I am the more practical romantic, if you know what I mean...).
I think DH should like these nightshirts - if not, I suppose I could always revert to using them as big duster coats:)
I hope you all have a happy, healthy week, wherever you are.