Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Is it a New Duster Coat?

 Is this a New Duster Coat?

No, it's a Christmas gift for DH - a Nightshirt made my me :).  I noticed that DH's nightshirts were looking a little old and tired.  I was also trying to find a present for him.  Now, he is at the age and stage (as am I) where he does not need anything more - we really need to start getting rid of stuff. So I thought that making him a new nightshirt would solve two problems - no more unneeded junk coming into the house, and a useful present to boot.

Luckily DH is doing the medical cover this weekend - he doesnt think he is so lucky, but I am, because I could get busy sewing all weekend to finish the Nightshirt Job:).

The fabric used was one of the Spots and Stripes range of cotton poplin that Spotlight sells. I used Simplicity pattern 2317:

 I found one of DH's old nightshirts and measured that and decided to use XL as my size.  It's always better to have larger rather than smaller, tighter nightshirts - more comfortable.  I added an inch in length..  The pattern was different from the old nightshirt in that it had a lapel.

The pocket on the pattern was smaller than that on the old nightshirt, so I made the seams smaller and that rectified that problem :).

Otherwise, I made the pattern up as instructed, except I omitted interfacing the collars, cuffs and facings.  This is because the old RTW nightshirt did not have any.   I did not think the added layer was needed - in a nightshirt, softness is needed.  The only problem DH has had with the RTW nightshirt is buttons pulling through the un-interfaced fabric, or a buttonhole tearing through.  I patch these with some ingenuity.

So, for this nightshirt I did place interfacing into the button and buttonhole areas.  That should solve the problem of tearing and pulling through.

I wasn't sure where to start the buttons or if the pocket placement would be okay:

Old nightshirt:

 New nightshirt:

I think that the placement of top button and pocket should meet with approval - I also think the lapel should meet with approval as well :).

The sleeves on the old nightshirt are narrower at the cuff than the new nightshirt; however, some of DH's nightshirts have this width of sleeve.

The only part that was tricky was the collar.  I was blithely sewing along when I realised I had not made a collar that did not have a back facing before. I was not entirely happy with the method that the pattern used, but made the most of it - lots of poking and prodding of bits that did not want to go in, and a hefty sewing down solved the situation:

Next time (although while making this I swore there would not be a next time) I will put the shoulder seam to the back and then do the collar, or even finish the facing below the shoulder seam like the RTW one:

I also seamed the front/front facing seam in a 3/8 inch seam so I did not have to trim it back.  The extra width on the lapel does not seem to obvious, and it was a lot less work.

Now, for the views:

Okay, not a flattering fit on me!!

Sleeves a bit long on me :)

A bit large for me, but I think this will be just right for DH .

The lapel and collar:


Which look fine without interfacing - and poplin is a very tight, close, firm fabric as well.

The pocket:


And yes, the stripes do match up!

And a cuff - and the stripes are even at the seam and at the turn.  Not sure how I managed that for all cuffs, but I did.

Before I did the buttonholes and sewed on the buttons I applied interfacing to those areas:

(I also used bigger buttons than the pattern and respaced the buttonholes to match the RTW nightshirt).


Then did the buttonholes and the buttons:


And:

I made TWO!!  That was quite a sewing effort for this weekend.

(I forgot to crop the top of this picture - now you can see why I use a screen - bookcases are not the best backdrop for photos - and the picture is downright distracting as well - its a place we went to in New Zealand - DH is very sentimental and likes holiday souvenirs.  He's the romantic in our household, and I am the more practical romantic, if you know what I mean...).

 I think DH should like these nightshirts - if not, I suppose I could always revert to using them as big duster coats:)

I hope you all have a happy, healthy week, wherever you are.

Sarah Liz.










30 comments:

  1. Phew! That's a big effort for a weekend. They look good though (well, gigantic ... you must be tiny!). Nice stripe matching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look nice and I think that is a wonderful Christmas gift. In fact it reminds me that I am hopelessly behind with my Christmas sewing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and there are still quite a few days for you to get things sorted with the sewing :). Just don't make anyone any promises!

      Delete
  3. Awesome effort!

    And Merry Christmas to Dr SarahLizSewStyle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and it is my DH who is a Dr, not me :).

      Delete
    2. but but but - that means "Mr SarahLizSewStyle" and that's not right 'cause he's the Dr.

      I get around such tangles by referring to my husband as "the lover". Miss 14 cringes, the lover finds it all amusing.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I see just what you mean:) Dr SLSS it is then.

      I've not doubt your daughter would cringe, I mean, isn't everything just so EMBARRASSING at her age. Especially to do with parents, and how they became parents...

      Delete
  4. You. Are. A. Wonder. Sarah Liz - that is an incredible achievement for one weekend. The shirts look fabulous, beautifully sewn, and a wonderful Christmas gift. Now feeling guilty because I haven't sewn anything for my HB since the 80s, when I used to make him - shhhh- Safari Suits! Isn't poplin a nice fabric, so undervalued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I didn't do much else this weekend I can assure you.

      I remember the safari suits - even my mother made one for my father, I recall :)

      Delete
  5. You put quit a bit of effort and thought into creating those nite shirts. I'm sure your husband will appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faye - and I am sure he will as well :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, you were a busy lady while hubby was away. What a great gift for those of us who "need" no more "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That was a lot of work for a weekend!! They look fantastic and better than the original! I love that you kept the collar and cuffs "soft" by leaving out interfacing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and Yes, I'm was almost up to your output this weekend :).

      Delete
  8. Great job.. They look really nice, and I know he will really appreciate the fact , that you did them for him..Sweet!!!
    Have a great ...rest of the weekend,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and I love the little pun :)

      Delete
  9. Oh your husband will LOVE his new dusters!!! And what a surprise when he finds you made them especially for him! You did a fantastic job including all the little details he will enjoy. I am so glad you included close-ups of the fabric so we could not only see the details, but also that it is such a lovely stripe. And thank you for modeling them for us!! Fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. um, should've said 'nightshirts' instead of 'dusters'.... sorry! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Lisa, no apology needed - I did call the Nightshirt a Duster coat in the title.

      Delete
  10. I am glad it is a night shirt for DH and not a duster coat for you otherwise there would be major alterations to be done or you would need to eat more spinach and grow your arms. Nice nightshirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a lovely chuckle BeaJay - and I'm afraid I tried the spinach trick years ago - no luck, I'm afraid :)

      Delete
  11. Awesome present for your husband, Sarah Liz. I am sure he will love it :)
    Nice detail and I think it looks much better than the original one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - I think he will love it too :)

      Delete
  12. Your husband will love his new nightshirts. Beautiful work and matching of the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - this is one of those useful sorts of gifts, perhaps the best sort to have :)

      Delete
  13. What a great present! You would look cute in a matching nightshirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - Yes, I agree, a matching set one day :).

      Delete
  14. Wow-Your husband will be very happy this Christmas!!!! Love everything abouth this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great gift for your DH,great job

    ReplyDelete